Born to Trot

Born to Trot

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,397 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Gibson can hear the beat of the horses' hooves against the track. Trotter are the world to him.
But all he ever does is practice. He's still too young and inexperienced to drive in a real race. Only he knows he's ready for the big league. If people would give him a chance, then they would know it, too.
Gib's chance comes in a filly named Rosalind. Now Gib can prove that...more
Published April 30th 1993 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Born to Trot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to Trot

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
28th out of 721 books — 406 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Best Horse Books
21st out of 249 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
A donation to the Friends of the Library bookstore, I nabbed it first. Classic Marguerite Henry -- lots of interesting horse lore and great horse illustrations, with a fairly weak story tying it all together. I would have liked to spend more of the book at the harness races, and less at a sanitarium with our young hero Gibson White, who is ailing with some mysterious illness that we never get to hear about (maybe TB?). A true story with an exciting ending.
Chana
I read this book because my 8 year old daughter insisted. She said, this is such a good book, please read it next! So, OK, I want to be supportive of her reading, I obliged and read this book.
It is a child's book and it reads like one, but it tells an interesting story nonetheless, actually two interesting stories that link together. Ben White is a famous horse trainer, harness racing for trotters, and winner of the Hambletonian horse races 4X. His son Gibson wants to do these things very, very...more
Josephine
Gib White is the son of Ben White, driver of trotting Standardbreds, and so not surprisingly Gib has grown up around harness racetracks, dreaming only of following in his father's footsteps. Unfortunately he becomes ill (Henry does not specify what) and is forced to remain in bed in a hospital for several months while he recovers. In an attempt to revive Gib's interest in life, flagging badly now that he is separated from his beloved harness racing world, Ben White deeds a new foal to his son: R...more
Wendy
This book is a story-within-a-story, and the framing story only allows us to meet Rosalind, the supposed main equine character, secondhand until very near to the end, and then it's...disappointing. Or at least it was to me. (view spoiler)

The fr...more
Jane
Jan 02, 2011 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 9+, those who like horses and don't mind simpler writing style
I really love this book, mostly as a nostalgia piece. It's a somewhat liberal interpretation of real events, centered around trotting races and the trotters who ran them. It's aimed mostly at children (I'd guess 8-9+) as its audience, but I like the story enough that I reread it occasionally now that I'm an adult. Great for horse lovers, solidly good child-young adult book. It was written in 1950, so the writing style and some of the scenarios are not as common in today's literature. Also the up...more
Anne Osterlund
Gibson White wants to drive horses. Not a pony. And not as an exercise boy. He wants to race. Trotters.

Finally the day comes when he gets his chance. And even though a rein breaks in his first real race, Gib proves himself. Earning another shot. If he can just get over a pesky cough.

Then the doctor announces that Gib’s cough is more than just a cold. That the only cure is a long serious rest up in the mountains.

But without horses, will Gib ever have the strength to heal?

Born to Trot by Marguerit...more
Kyrie
Marguerite Henry does a great job of weaving facts about horses and horse racing into a tale kids enjoy. I owe everything I know about harness racing to this book.
Lisa James
Kind of a coming of age story, Henry tells us of a boy named Gib, & the harness horses that are his life's passion. When he is old enough, & a beautiful & talented filly named Rosalind comes along, they make magic together, & Gib's dreams of winning the greatest harness race in the world, the Hambletonian, are within his sights. Can they win it together? You have to read to find out.
Austen to Zafón
One of my least favorite of Henry's horse books.
Caryn

This is a story about the bond that a man has with his really good horse. They are great friends and endure some really tough times. At first, I was skeptical, but really ended up liking this book! I want to read it again, for sure, to catch anything I may have missed!
Dixie Diamond
I've always liked Henry's non-Misty books better (this and Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West are my favorites). Although all of her work was fictionalized, I think some of these less popular ones suffered less from over-sentimentalization of their equine characters.
Penny
Aug 15, 2008 Penny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls who like horses
My faaaaaavorite childhood book. I read it over and over and over.

I still have my original copy, but I'm half-afraid to read it as an adult for fear my memories will be spoiled.
Rivkah.
I liked this book! It was a bit slow at the start, but this book really made me like trotter types, which lead me to one of my first horsey loves, Red a standardbred ex-racer.
Rachel
Wanted a light read the other day, so I pulled this one out again. It's one of my favorites of Marguerite Henry's work. I love Gib's relationship with his father.
Sharon
This was my introduction to "trotters." As a parent, I can see why the adults did not want the protagonist racing, but as a child I was rooting for him the whole time.
Martine
As a kid in the 1960s I looked forward to getting new horse books by Maruerite Henry for birthday or other special occasions. I was a horse fanatic.
Laurie
this favorite childhood book was the one to encourage me to read my first Shakespeare play.
J
Jan 15, 2013 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horses
I read this a million times when I was young. A definite read for the horse lover.
brianna
i looooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee horses
Corinne Evans
It's about a boy who wants to ride in a race, and he does.
Kim
A great read! This book was a great tale....
Esther
This book has an amazing ttie with history
Deborah
read eons ago, but recall that I really liked it!
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Another of my beloved MH "horse biographies".
Sandy
horses, horses, horses...
Mac
Pretty good book!
Mia
Dec 16, 2012 Mia added it
loved it
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel...more
More about Marguerite Henry...
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Brighty of the Grand Canyon Justin Morgan Had a Horse