Start by marking “On Suicide” as Want to Read:
On Suicide

On Suicide

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose id ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 1775)

To ask other readers questions about On Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Suicide

Mohamed
“I believe that no man ever threw away life, while it was worth keeping”
Rachel
He's such a brilliant debater, and his arguments against suicide being immoral are awesome--until the very end when in a frenzy of Enlightenment rationalism he goes so far as to claim that no one who has ever committed suicide was mistaken in doing so. That...not so much. Mental illness, Hume. It existed even in the Age of Reason.
Blai Felip
Un libro que tiene el encanto de la brevedad y de la aparente sencillez con que Hume argumenta las cosas. El opúsculo agrupa un conjunto de artículos que destacan por la claridad de pensamiento y por la sencillez y precisión con que utiliza el lenguaje. Ya se advierte en la introducción, y se puede apreciar en la lectura, que Hume era una persona especialmente dotada para la escritura.
Sin duda alguna, el escrito que trata sobre el suicidio es el más importante de todos y por ello no debe sorpren
Cliff Watt
Hume never lived to see the full
Impact this work had on society. His paper caused an outrage at the time and Humes publishers had to print retracted versions, versions with preferences which totally distanced themselves from the author and so on. And the more moral outrage about the heresy that hume had committed, the more the paper was in demand.
What Hume did, though neither his intention or desire, was to force society to separate suicide from theology enough to allow proper public discussion
John Yelverton
There is no one who loves to spout off his self-proclaimed intelligence more than David Hume. This book was an intellectual travesty as he gnarls the Bible, logic and even common sense to spout his support for suicide.
Phakin
"หากชีวิตมิไดเปนของขาพเจา ยอมเปนอาชญากรรมหากทำใหมันตกอยูในอันตราย เชนเดียวกันการกำจัดมันทิง; (เชนนัน) ไมมีมนุษยผูใดสมควรแกสมญาวาวีรบุรุษ ผูซึงความรุงโรจนและมิตรภาพของเขาลำเลียงไปสูอันตรายอันใหญหลวงทีสุด ขณะทีผูอืน สมควรแกการประณามในฐานะผูตำชาและนอกรีต ผูปลิดชีพตนเอง ดวยแรงจูงใจทีเหมือนหรือคลายคลึงกัน "- David Hume ...more
Andrew Donnachie
"I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping."
The quotation sets the theme for one of Hume's more provocative 'pensées' concerning meaning derivatives within the milieu of human experience. For a volatile subject about which few will speak with open clarity, this little gem makes for a close friend and confidant.
hweichyi
May 08, 2007 hweichyi is currently reading it
Given my dislike for philosophy, it is no surprise that, one year on, I am still reading this book. Crawling through the book on the train is a tricky business cos it attracts sideways glances and raised eyebrows. And in the wake of the London train bombings, it is not a good choice for rush-hour reading material.
Zhang Qingning
The man who justified suicide.
Snufkin
I have read a fair share of philosophical works but hit a block here. It was really tough reading, and I guess it went against my positive grain...but I will definitely challenge again. I don't think the cover helped put a good view on Hume from the start.
epiphenomenalism
I expected something more but the essay is fine. The quote 'I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping' looks very cynical outside of the context, but in the text it's used in a completely different way than it may seem.
Abbey
Aug 27, 2007 Abbey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves philosophy
So far I've read the essays that I'm able to understand, although I'm not educated in philosophy so I found some sections difficult to understand. However, from what I could understand from it, I enjoyed. Definitely worth picking up.
محمد الهاشمي
Struggled with understanding the point sometimes. But this has to be the most influential book about suicide ever was.
Usfromdk
Read Hume's essays. Didn't see any need to read much of the other stuff.
Ashley
Incredible argument.
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Hellen
Hellen marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Enya
Enya marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Andy Mckinney
Andy Mckinney marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Ambuj Arind
Ambuj Arind marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Pepi
Pepi is currently reading it
May 08, 2015
Hadeel
Hadeel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Byrcn
Byrcn marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Umut
Umut marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Hajoop
Hajoop marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Adam Allford
Adam Allford is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
  • Of Empire
  • Of Man
  • Where I Lived, and What I Lived For
  • The Inner Life
  • On the Suffering of the World (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • On Art and Life
  • Miracles and Idolatry
  • Conspicuous Consumption
  • The Christians and the Fall of Rome (Great Ideas)
  • Travels in the Land of Kubilai Khan (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • On Friendship
  • The First Ten Books (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • Eichmann and the Holocaust
  • Useful Work versus Useless Toil
  • The Fastidious Assassins
  • An Appeal to the Toiling, Oppressed & Exhausted Peoples of Europe
  • Human Happiness
  • Why Look at Animals?
David Hume (/ˈhjuːm/; 7 May 1711 NS (26 April 1711 OS) – 25 August 1776) was a Scottish historian, philosopher, economist, diplomat and essayist known today especially for his radical philosophical empiricism and scepticism.

In light of Hume's central role in the Scottish Enlightenment, and in the history of Western philosophy, Bryan Magee judged him as a philosopher "widely regarded as the greates
More about David Hume...
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding A Treatise of Human Nature An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion/The Natural History of Religion (Oxford World's Classics)

“No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.” 173 likes
“The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster.” 48 likes