On Suicide

On Suicide

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose id...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 1775)

To ask other readers questions about On Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Suicide

Mohamed
“I believe that no man ever threw away life, while it was worth keeping”
Rachel
He's such a brilliant debater, and his arguments against suicide being immoral are awesome--until the very end when in a frenzy of Enlightenment rationalism he goes so far as to claim that no one who has ever committed suicide was mistaken in doing so. That...not so much. Mental illness, Hume. It existed even in the Age of Reason.
Blai Felip
Un libro que tiene el encanto de la brevedad y de la aparente sencillez con que Hume argumenta las cosas. El opúsculo agrupa un conjunto de artículos que destacan por la claridad de pensamiento y por la sencillez y precisión con que utiliza el lenguaje. Ya se advierte en la introducción, y se puede apreciar en la lectura, que Hume era una persona especialmente dotada para la escritura.
Sin duda alguna, el escrito que trata sobre el suicidio es el más importante de todos y por ello no debe sorpren...more
Cliff Watt
Hume never lived to see the full
Impact this work had on society. His paper caused an outrage at the time and Humes publishers had to print retracted versions, versions with preferences which totally distanced themselves from the author and so on. And the more moral outrage about the heresy that hume had committed, the more the paper was in demand.
What Hume did, though neither his intention or desire, was to force society to separate suicide from theology enough to allow proper public discussion...more
John Yelverton
There is no one who loves to spout off his self-proclaimed intelligence more than David Hume. This book was an intellectual travesty as he gnarls the Bible, logic and even common sense to spout his support for suicide.
Phakin
"หากชีวิตมิได้เป็นของข้าพเจ้า ย่อมเป็นอาชญากรรมหากทำให้มันตกอยู่ในอันตราย เช่นเดียวกันการกำจัดมันทิ้ง; (เช่นนั้น) ไม่มีมนุษย์ผู้ใดสมควรแก่สมญาว่าวีรบุรุษ ผู้ซึ่งความรุ่งโรจน์และมิตรภาพของเขาลำเลียงไปสู่อันตรายอันใหญ่หลวงที่สุด ขณะที่ผู้อื่น สมควรแก่การประณามในฐานะผู้ต่ำช้าและนอกรีต ผู้ปลิดชีพตนเอง ด้วยแรงจูงใจที่เหมือนหรือคล้ายคลึงกัน "- David Hume
Andrew Donnachie
"I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping."
The quotation sets the theme for one of Hume's more provocative 'pensées' concerning meaning derivatives within the milieu of human experience. For a volatile subject about which few will speak with open clarity, this little gem makes for a close friend and confidant.
hweichyi
May 08, 2007 hweichyi is currently reading it
Given my dislike for philosophy, it is no surprise that, one year on, I am still reading this book. Crawling through the book on the train is a tricky business cos it attracts sideways glances and raised eyebrows. And in the wake of the London train bombings, it is not a good choice for rush-hour reading material.
Snufkin
I have read a fair share of philosophical works but hit a block here. It was really tough reading, and I guess it went against my positive grain...but I will definitely challenge again. I don't think the cover helped put a good view on Hume from the start.
Anonymous
I expected something more but the essay is fine. The quote 'I believe that no man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping' looks very cynical outside of the context, but in the text it's used in a completely different way.
Abbey
Aug 27, 2007 Abbey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves philosophy
So far I've read the essays that I'm able to understand, although I'm not educated in philosophy so I found some sections difficult to understand. However, from what I could understand from it, I enjoyed. Definitely worth picking up.
محمد الهاشمي
Struggled with understanding the point sometimes. But this has to be the most influential book about suicide ever was.
Usfromdk
Read Hume's essays. Didn't see any need to read much of the other stuff.
Ashley
Incredible argument.
Neringa
Neringa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
__
__ marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Marttalv
Marttalv marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
đumblr
đumblr marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Frida
Frida marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Vadim Melnik
Vadim Melnik marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Þórir
Þórir marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Josh Bratton
Josh Bratton marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Nina Cook
Nina Cook marked it as to-read
Harry Gao
Harry Gao marked it as to-read
Alex Salter
Alex Salter marked it as to-read
  • On the Suffering of the World
  • Where I Lived, and What I Lived For
  • On Art and Life
  • Eichmann and the Holocaust
  • The Inner Life
  • Conspicuous Consumption
  • The Christians and the Fall of Rome (Great Ideas)
  • On Friendship
  • Why I Am So Wise (Great Ideas)
  • On Natural Selection
  • An Image of Africa
  • On the Shortness of Life
  • An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment? (Great Ideas)
  • On the Pleasure of Hating
  • Days of Reading
  • The Essential Epicurus (Great Books in Philosophy)
  • Night Walks
  • An Apology for Idlers
David Hume was a Scottish philosopher, economist, and historian. He is an important figure in Western philosophy, and in the history of the Scottish Enlightenment.

Hume first gained recognition and respect as a historian, but academic interest in Hume's work has in recent years centered on his philosophical writing. His History of England was the standard work on English history for many years, unt...more
More about David Hume...
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding A Treatise of Human Nature An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion/The Natural History of Religion (Oxford World's Classics)

“No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.” 150 likes
“The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster.” 40 likes