Start by marking “Rebel: The Life and Legend of James Dean” as Want to Read:
Rebel: The Life and Legend of James Dean

Rebel: The Life and Legend of James Dean

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Donald Spoto's eagerly awaited, full-scale biography of James Dean will be the definitive work on America's most enduring enigmatic bad boy.Although he starred in only three major motion pictures before dying in a car crash at the age of 24, James Dean influenced millions in his brief career. After his sudden death, many stories surfaced and continue to confuse fans even n ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel

Lara Abdallah
This book was very informative I really didn't know anything about James Dean other than he was an actor and was killed in a car crash but his life was devastating and sad I wish that he had lived long enough to sort out all the feelings he was going through but at least he didn't have to suffer in life anymore.
Brian
Still trying to update my list as I remember books I have read. I read this before going off to film school while working as a projectionist in a movie theater. One time I was sitting in a chair, reading away when out of nowhere the film just snapped as it was rolling onto the platter! I'd never seen that happen before all on it's own... I think he was playing a trick on me(?).
Kim
I enjoyed this book. I'm a big fan of classic films, but hadn't really been a huge fan of James Dean. I didn't find him as appealing as so many others have, and even thought his acting skills were mediocre. The book made me an admirer of James Dean, and allowed me to look at his films differently, as well. It's a worthy read, imho.
Jenncouttas
Wow. Troubled much? I don’t want to be famous anymore. There was more tragedy than good times in the short life of this amazing talent who touched the lives of so many.
Matt
A very tight biography, well written, and very informative; so informative I felt I lived James Dean's life side by side with him all the way till his tragic end.
Michelle Juergen
I loooooove James Dean but the author went on too much about things not relating to Dean. and that's just not acceptable.
Amy
I would have rated this "Okay", but the pictures are too cool for that. James Dean...is there anyone cooler? :)
Dylan Moucka
After reading about an American hero for lack of other words. I would not have guessed anything about how he grew up and just how his life was up until his death. I thought i knew some of his history but once i started reading i clearily realized i was wrong. I think for people who like James or the time period of Hollywood in the 50s, this is exactly for them. Many people dont actually know how bad of a life James had soo its not easy to relate to him for most people.
Interesting and entertaining read. Well researched.
Sandi Mann
sympathetically written, but warts & all.
Sayward
The life of man can change a history people but a couple of times in a lifetime, James Dean was one of those men.

If this book is the correct one i'm thinking of. It reveals a life that those of us who admire this actor would never have known. He is so much more than disturbed, he is amazing! If I could only meet those who really this man I would not know what to do, but wish i could have been in their shoes...
Vicki Tanner
I love James Dean and this book was not nearly as good as I expected.
Paloma
Paloma marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Bradley Gosse
Bradley Gosse marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 13, 2015
Tristan Darcy
Tristan Darcy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Michelle Walker
Michelle Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Rakesh Muthyala
Rakesh Muthyala marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Jules
Jules added it
Mar 17, 2015
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Natalie Clarke
Natalie Clarke marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Michelle Berglund
Michelle Berglund marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter
  • Natasha: The Biography of Natalie Wood
  • Dorothy Dandridge
  • Diana's Boys: William and Harry and the Mother They Loved
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
  • Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • Mae West: It Ain't No Sin
  • Clark Gable: A Biography
  • Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey and the Last Great Show Biz Party
A prolific and respected biographer and theologian, Donald Spoto is the author of twenty published books, among them bestselling biographies of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Alfred Hitchcock, Tennessee Williams, and Ingrid Bergman. His books have been translated into more than twenty languages. Donald Spoto earned his Ph.D. in theology at Fordham University. After years as a theology professor, he t ...more
More about Donald Spoto...
Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn High Society: The Life of Grace Kelly Marilyn Monroe: The Biography The Dark Side Of Genius: The Life Of Alfred Hitchcock Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life