Start by marking “Tackylocks and the Three Bears” as Want to Read:
Tackylocks and the Three Bears

Tackylocks and the Three Bears (Tacky)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
How do you keep a crowd of energetic young penguins entertained? Put on a play, perhaps? But will they pay attention through an entire performance? If Tacky’s center stage, they might. Even dressed up in his flowing blond wig and little red “skipping shoes,” everyone’s favorite misfit penguin imbues the character of Goldilocks with his own indomitable personality and style ...more
Published September 30th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tackylocks and the Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tackylocks and the Three Bears

Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson365 Penguins by Jean-Luc FromentalLost and Found by Oliver JeffersA Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Picture Books with Penguins
40th out of 71 books — 46 voters
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussTyrannosaurus Dad by Liz Rosenberg
Books for Beginner Readers
142nd out of 181 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Lydia
May 28, 2014 Lydia rated it really liked it
A fun look at how putting on a play often feels... especially for us perfectionists! And yet all is well in the end, and once again, Tacky is able to both cause and save his friends from disaster. As always for Tacky books, the characters are fun, the drawings enjoyable and the story entertaining (though this one isn't as laugh-out-loud funny as some).

Content notes: No language issues (though Lester and Munsinger do use some word puns that Tacky acts out, so be on your toes to figure them out!

Vivian
Mar 18, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are an abundance of "Goldilocks" retellings. We still have snow on the ground so I pulled this one to share today. The endpapers are purple--a favorite color for many children--so be sure to begin drawing the pre-school crowd in by asking the color (purple!) and who likes this colore(I do, I do!). On the story's first page is pictured a tiny ice flow upon which are standing five penguins looking at what appears to be a newspaper and one penguin wearing a Hawaiian tourist shirt peeking from ...more
Emily Bridenstine
Jan 16, 2015 Emily Bridenstine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved Tackylocks as a child. I loved the simple, yet expressive art style. This book is so different from many children's books, but it is a gem. It can entertain both the adult reading it aloud and the children listening. This is definitely one I would have in a classroom library for k-3rd grade!
Dolly
Feb 05, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read many of the books in the Tacky series by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger. We love Tacky's crazy clothes and antics and we can appreciate his uniqueness. The stories are humorous and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are hilarious. We thought this story, with its unusual version of Goldilocks And The Three Bears, was silly and we enjoyed reading it together.
Andrea Wilkinson
Oct 19, 2015 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
I loved this variation--"Tacky-style"-- of Goldilocks! "The little fuzzy ones" illustrations are so cute and I love their teacher, Mrs. Beakly, with her purple cat-eye glasses and matching pearl necklace.
Nicole Martin
Jan 29, 2014 Nicole Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: january
This book is absolutely fantastic! I like the twist that the took on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It is the kind of book that every child would love because of its humor and charm. The twist of having the story be a play is cute. The main character, Tackylocks is simply adorable how he goes about the story. I would read this to my own children. I love it!
Liz Todd
Mar 09, 2016 Liz Todd rated it it was ok
My least favorite Tacky book. Tacky seems inconsistent here with the other books in the series. Story was hard to follow, really, and the ending kind of flopped here.
Cory
Jan 15, 2014 Cory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
This book took a rough situation and made it into a fun time. It was great to see the application from the story to a play. I loved the penguins and their funny little personalities. Its a great book and I recommend it to anyone.
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Yeah, I like penguins. Penguins and theater: genius.
Becky B
Feb 17, 2015 Becky B rated it really liked it
Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect decide to put on a play and drag Tacky into it too. To the rest of the penguins' horror, the play proves to have a tough audience and isn't quite going according to script, but thanks to Tacky's improv it works out ok.

A funny take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Kids who know how the tale is supposed to go should find this humorous and lends itself well to a good compare/contrast activity with more traditional Goldilocks tellings.
Jackie
Tacky the penguin gets the lead in the school play Goldylocks and the Three Bears. When the audience is too busy playing and doesn't pay attention, the play is not off to a great start. Yet, when Tacky improvises his part, that is when the real fun begins!

Used for "Penguin Party" storytime-July, 2010.
Jen
Feb 25, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, silly
this might be a nice book to inspire children to write their own play. The original story of Goldilocks isn't exactly this way, but that's what's nice about it. Children can discuss how it is different than usual.
Catherine Clancy
Mar 14, 2011 Catherine Clancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A funny take on the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears. In this case, it's a penguin causing all sorts of havoc. Caitlin laughs just saying the name Tackylocks.
Heidi
Apr 23, 2008 Heidi rated it liked it
I think I would have preferred watching this version of Goldilocks myself. Tacky is great!
Cheryl
Apr 19, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Tacky books with the penguins doing The story of the Three Little Bears.
Stacia
Aug 09, 2013 Stacia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-read-alouds
Love this! Great to read when also reading the original Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Sherry
Sep 10, 2011 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I love Tacky the penguin. My first graders loved this book and so did I. 5 Stars!
Tish
Nov 09, 2007 Tish rated it it was amazing
This is so fun. My daughter always completes the endings of the book without any help.
Heather
Jul 24, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-favs
We laugh, we cry from laughing, we choke from laughing and crying!
Veronica
Sep 06, 2011 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
I just love Tacky! One of the best penguin characters ever!
Greta
Jun 26, 2009 Greta rated it it was amazing
I loved this fun whimsical version of Goldilocks.
Lindsay
Oct 07, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
penguins; winter; acting/putting on a play; dress-up
Theresa
Oct 06, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a funny spin on an old fairy tale
Heather
Feb 05, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Penguins putting on a play
Stephanie
Jh
Jh added it
Aug 25, 2016
Erin Olson
Erin Olson rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016