Start by marking “Three by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Three by the Sea

Three by the Sea

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Lolly, Spider, and Sam have a wonderful picnic on the beach. After lunch, they each tell their favorite stories. Lolly and Sam tell stories about cats and rats. Spider tells a story about a scary monster.
Published May 1st 1994 by Penguin Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Three by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three by the Sea

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanInside the Earth by Joanna ColeOwen by Kevin HenkesMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
Reading Rainbow Featured Books
97th out of 116 books — 25 voters
Goldilocks and the Three Bears by James MarshallWhat's the Matter with Carruthers? by James MarshallA Day with Whisker Wickles by Cynthia JamesonAll the Way Home by Lore SegalBonzini! the Tattooed Man by Jeffrey Allen
Best of James Marshall
74th out of 84 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
This book started slow on the first read. When Lolly told her story (straight out of a phonetic reader), I thought "oh, no." Ah, but that was the point! And as the story cleverly turns, Sam and Spider try to best each other with their own stories. Personally, my favorite was Sam's. It built wonderfully excruciating tension as Rat befriends a Cat who soon becomes hungry. Then Spider follows it up with a scary (and humorous) monster tale.

Overall, I loved the use of rhythm and rhyme throughout the
Kathryn
One of my favorite stories as a kid (a new book by the same title made me remember this and I thought I had better add it!) I loved the different perspectives and takes on the story--each kid puts his/her own twist to a tale using the same characters. Hilarious and delightful!
Amber the Human
I wonder if Edward Marshall is James' brother. Anyway, this books is alright. Cute. Not big treat for adults, but it does build on itself until you start to believe that the story that the children are telling is "the truth."
Kristen
A childhood favorite. Thank you Reading Rainbows.
Justin
kind of weird, but the monster part was so funny and hilarious.
Samantha
Three friends spend a day at the beach. After a big lunch, they tell each other stories while they wait for their food to digest. The first story is so simple that it begs for more detail. The second story has a funny twist and the third story has a scary twist.

A good easy reader that inspires storytelling as entertainment among friends.
Audrey
Three children sitting by the ocean decide to tell stories to one another. When the first story is boring, the other two try their hand at storytelling. Each story gets progressively silly.

This book’s easy vocabulary, repetition, and good pacing make it great for children just learning to read.
Amy Mccarty
..1/8/14MD 48 pgs
Ashley
Not my favorite children's story, but it can be fun when encouraging small children to make up their own stories. You can use it to talk about what makes a story good or boring. The three characters compete to tell the best story.
Jonathan
This book is negative and has three judgmental characters who continual criticize one another's bad storytelling abilities. Unfortunately, the author can't seem to rid himself of his character's tragic flaw.
Wendy
This book is pretty funny. I think I really love it because of the Reading Rainbow episode that featured it. The reading was so good! If you can find that show, I highly recommend it.
Another classic. I like the idea of this for a program, or discussion--all the kids can make up their own story involving a rat, a cat, and cheese. Seems like it could be fun.
Rosalie
Read this one when I was a child and must have read it over many times. Three by the Sea suck with me.
Sherry
Very much fun for beginning readers! Pics by James Marshall - always entertaining.
Elizabeth
Made the boys laugh!
Robert Reed
Robert Reed marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Meghan McGuire Denlinger
Meghan McGuire Denlinger marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Marg
Marg added it
Apr 19, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Marce Villalva
Marce Villalva marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Anne Pietrefesa Gartung
Anne Pietrefesa Gartung is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about Edward Marshall...
Space Case Fox and His Friends Fox in Love Fox on Wheels Fox at School