Start by marking “Three by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Three by the Sea

Three by the Sea

Lolly, Spider, and Sam have a wonderful picnic on the beach. After lunch, they each tell their favorite stories. Lolly and Sam tell stories about cats and rats. Spider tells a story about a scary monster.
Published May 1st 1994 by Penguin Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Three by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three by the Sea

Elizabeth
This book started slow on the first read. When Lolly told her story (straight out of a phonetic reader), I thought "oh, no." Ah, but that was the point! And as the story cleverly turns, Sam and Spider try to best each other with their own stories. Personally, my favorite was Sam's. It built wonderfully excruciating tension as Rat befriends a Cat who soon becomes hungry. Then Spider follows it up with a scary (and humorous) monster tale.

Overall, I loved the use of rhythm and rhyme throughout the
Kathryn
Mar 30, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite stories as a kid (a new book by the same title made me remember this and I thought I had better add it!) I loved the different perspectives and takes on the story--each kid puts his/her own twist to a tale using the same characters. Hilarious and delightful!
Samantha
Jan 05, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Three friends spend a day at the beach. After a big lunch, they tell each other stories while they wait for their food to digest. The first story is so simple that it begs for more detail. The second story has a funny twist and the third story has a scary twist.

A good easy reader that inspires storytelling as entertainment among friends.
Audrey
May 28, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it
Three children sitting by the ocean decide to tell stories to one another. When the first story is boring, the other two try their hand at storytelling. Each story gets progressively silly.

This book’s easy vocabulary, repetition, and good pacing make it great for children just learning to read.
Amber the Human
I wonder if Edward Marshall is James' brother. Anyway, this books is alright. Cute. Not big treat for adults, but it does build on itself until you start to believe that the story that the children are telling is "the truth."
Jonathan
May 23, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was ok
This book is negative and has three judgmental characters who continual criticize one another's bad storytelling abilities. Unfortunately, the author can't seem to rid himself of his character's tragic flaw.
Ashley
Sep 09, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
Not my favorite children's story, but it can be fun when encouraging small children to make up their own stories. You can use it to talk about what makes a story good or boring. The three characters compete to tell the best story.
Sherry
Feb 12, 2009 Sherry rated it really liked it
Very much fun for beginning readers! Pics by James Marshall - always entertaining.
Elizabeth
Sep 25, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
Made the boys laugh!
Justin
Sep 25, 2014 Justin rated it liked it
kind of weird, but the monster part was so funny and hilarious.
Jul 22, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Another classic. I like the idea of this for a program, or discussion--all the kids can make up their own story involving a rat, a cat, and cheese. Seems like it could be fun.
Wendy
Jun 13, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
This book is pretty funny. I think I really love it because of the Reading Rainbow episode that featured it. The reading was so good! If you can find that show, I highly recommend it.
Cathy
Oct 07, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Super cute learning-to-read book that is really three stories within a story. Clever, fun narration with several chuckles throughout.
Rosalie
Jul 01, 2012 Rosalie rated it really liked it
Read this one when I was a child and must have read it over many times. Three by the Sea suck with me.
Sebi
Sebi rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Yvonne Clark
Yvonne Clark rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Laura Meili
Laura Meili rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2009
Becky B
Becky B rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it did not like it
May 19, 2014
Lynsey
Lynsey rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2012
Elizabeth DiTullio
Elizabeth DiTullio rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2008
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Sophia Bullard
Sophia Bullard rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
Lisa Cardoso
Lisa Cardoso rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Jenny Sawyer
Jenny Sawyer rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Liv Davenport
Liv Davenport rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Mikig
Mikig rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Voices in the Park
  • Sitti's Secrets
  • Fox On The Job (Easy To Read Level 3)
  • I've Won, No I've Won, No I've Won
  • When the Wind Blows
  • The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
  • Zelda And Ivy
  • Berlioz the Bear
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Feathers for Lunch
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about Edward Marshall...