Start by marking “Edge of Apocalypse (The End, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Edge of Apocalypse

Tim LaHaye

Edge of Apocalypse (The End #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,642 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Edge of Apocalypse pulls you into an adrenaline-fueled political thriller laced with End Times prophecy. From Tim LaHaye, creator and co-author of the world-renowned Left Behind series---the most successful adult fiction series ever written---and Craig Parshall comes an epic story ripped from the headlines of world events and filtered through Scriptural prophecy. Set in th ...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Apocalypse

Madelyn
Oct 08, 2016 Madelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first apocalypse/end-time book (can you believe that?!) and I must say, I enjoyed it. I hope to continue reading the series. Thanks @JoshuaAnderson (how do you tag people on GR? :P) for another great reco.

I'll probably write a full review for the blog soon, but don't count on it. I have a billion books to read and review, and the pile keeps on stacking up! Four more books are coming in today *shocked face*
Amydeanne
May 04, 2010 Amydeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any Left Behind fans out there?

I enjoyed the books! I bought a lot of them and even have the movies (yes, lol I’ll admit that – It doesn’t hurt that Kirk Cameron was in them either! lol I used to enjoy watching Growing Pains a lot when I was a kid! ). I love how the thoughts of what “might” happen in the end days, and the whole being the last Christians alive and what would they do happen through the books. Some great imagination and suspense going on.

Edge of Apocolypse – The End Series is a lot
Joe
Mar 05, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will the apocalypse be marked by the rise of an anti-Christ? Maybe, but before we get there, it'll be up to humans to launch nuclear attacks and turn our worse case scenarios into a disturbing reality. After all, things need to reach a boiling point for Satan to make it seem as though he is earth's salvation, right? Or, perhaps more disturbing will be our own government selling out its own secrets in the context of preserving peace as was the case with Joshua Jordan in this gripping story.

I rare
Jeb
Jun 09, 2011 Jeb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started off well. I missile launched by a crazy, North Korean dude (aren't they all), headed to NYC. But, foiled by superior American defense technology.

And, then, LaHaye goes into his political view of the world where the US is becoming socialist because of soft leaders and all politicians are bad and business and entrepreneurs are the saviors of free America...gathering together to create a cabal in order to defeat the liberal media that's just a mouthpiece of the liberal president.

B
Jodi VanMeter
Feb 02, 2011 Jodi VanMeter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of the Left Behind series, so picking this book up was just a given for me. The overall concept of the book I feel was great. I feel that this could very well happen in real life and in some ways I feel it is happening.

The storyline was exciting, stressful, edge of your seat at times and the hero Joshua Jordon was very life like and the author's made you fall in love with this character. I thought some of the dialogue was a little cheezy, especially between Joshua and his wife an
Sally
Sep 01, 2010 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several elements in this book that could be a foreshadowing of what life might be like in the USA just a few years down the road. That's the scary bit. Once you get past that, this is a fast-paced action novel with a Christian feel to it.

If there's a negative, it's that I wasn't sure how some of the characters are connected and so there were a few moments wheree I felt I missed something. Since this is the first book of a series, however, I'm sure the answers will eventually become cle
Judah
I struggled throughout this book to figure out what struck me so wrong.
IT wasn't until I read this article (http://www.theimaginativeconservative...) that it struck me.
'Edge of Apocalypse' comes across as a sort of right-wing fever dream: an overreaching government, a secret presidential plan stretching to Obama for a one world government (handled so thickly I was waiting for the evil laugh of evilness), a one world currency, evil soviet socialist/atheists, North Korea nuking the US, a new axis
Victor Gentile
Jan 26, 2010 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of interviewing Tim LaHaye & Craig Parshall, on our radio show “Kingdom Highlights”, for their new book, “Edge Of Apocalypse” published by Zondervan.

This book is a thriller from the first word and gets more exciting word by word. Unlike a previous series by Dr. LaHaye this series is set not to far from where we are today. Dr. LaHaye is using Bible prophecy to show how close we are to what the Bible tells us will happen. Nations will rise against nations and the United Sta
Brian Eshleman
I have a particular reason for wanting to list the positives about this book first. It was exciting. LaHaye can write action sequences that are much more intense than I remember in the Left Behind series. His characters also seem more developed. The authors also willing to portray genuine conflict in a Christian family in a way that many writers do not. Yes, Christian parents and children to have conflict. Also, LaHaye is willing to sometimes do the unexpected with his characters, as when colleg ...more
Peter
"Edge of Apocalypse" is set in the US in the not-too-distant future, admidst a fairly plausible political outcome of current real-life events. Several references to current technologies and trends help make the plot and characters relatable. All of this makes it quite interesting reading, even for me as a reader from outside the US.

The main basis for the plot is a fictional missile defense system. Unfortunately, the technology is completely implausible, and that fact, along with several other mi
Adrienna
North Korea sends nukes to target and hit Manhattan, NY. Joshua Jordan, Air Force leader (Colonel) is trying to redirect the missiles and hopefully he can do it since they are prepared to do one...not sure about two. Abby, his wife, is on the town with her daughter, Debbie, and hope that their son Cal is somewhere safe from the sudden chaos that is going on.

The opening of the story didn't work for me, but after chapter 2, I was engaged! To me this reads better than some of the Left Behind series
Exanimis
Apr 24, 2012 Exanimis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, 5-star
I read the first book in the left behind series years ago, when it first came out. I remember that I enjoyed the story but not enough to want to read further releases. When I saw Edge of Apocalypse for sale, I thought that I'd give it a chance but didn't expect much. I have never read a political thriller before and this book was an excellent first step into the sub genre. The story is fast paced and there is enough action to keep you turning pages. The writing is informative without being overl ...more
Linda Davis
Aug 20, 2015 Linda Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys thrillers and suspense
I get a kick out of novels like this one, five years of age yet it reads like today's headlines.

I could not put it down. It stayed with me long after the last page.

The storyline involves cutting-edge defense technology that stretches the imagination--just enough. The spiritual journey of tough-man Joshua Jordan adds a layer of depth missing from other thrillers. [Who can resist a hero whose name puts you in mind of the original Joshua who crossed the Jordan?]

There's plenty of action, suspense,
Wanda Hartzenberg
Apr 23, 2014 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Ok so this book will not be for all.
It has a strong Christian message. It is never preachy instead it is all action all of the time.
The main protagonists are brilliant characters. One a reborn Christian and her spouse, a believer but with certain judgements.

These protagonist has an amazing report with one another. This makes the reader connecting to the story line as they grow to love the couple.
The theme is clear. Beware!

The world building is quite believable and the narrative form makes th
Sandra Hess
Jun 20, 2016 Sandra Hess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TIMELY

Story could almost have been ripped from the headlines. Exciting and fast paced. The reader is sucked in by the emotions and tension oozing from each page. In the middle of this crisis is faith in the Lord. A great read with a reminder to hold dearly to our faith. Can hardly wait to start the next book.
Susan
Sep 07, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
Great new to me series. Joshua and his family and friends are remarkable characters. I just loved everything about this story. The narrator also did an excellent job. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the series.
Lisa
Oct 12, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series of four books on end-time events. Speculation but with current world events, who knows? Heroic characters who seem slightly too-good-to-be-true, but likeable and makes you wonder, "Could I be like that...for God?" Can't really say pleasant reading, but good action-packed thrillers.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2012 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first few pages of the books. Then, the author started his right-wing and religious political rantings and it was distracting from the story. I honestly tried to finish the book, but it was so liberal=evil, conservative=good, that I had to put it down. Very negative.
Bill Browning
Apr 01, 2015 Bill Browning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

Unable to stop reading,,,,,this book is like watching Fox news
It is so difficult to find books that are authentically Bible based
Avery Tingle
Feb 14, 2017 Avery Tingle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Lahaye remains the go-to author for Biblically-inspired, apocalyptic thrillers. This book teeters towards the edge of preachiness but is still a fun ride. Plenty of vivid characters and a harrowing situation that closes around the protagonists like a fist. Worth the read for lovers of apocalyptic fantasy.
Toby Leonhardt
Nov 04, 2016 Toby Leonhardt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read of modern history evolution

Excellent. Parallels strongly with events evolving in current world events including characters rising to prominence. Thought provoking reading experience. Characters portrayed are engaging. I want to read more!
Anne Marie
Jan 20, 2017 Anne Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book...great start!!

Totally recommend this book...grabs you from the very first pages of the book. Love how scripture was incorporated . A must read - can't wait for book 2
Carolyn
Oct 06, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Christian take on the end of the world in which the apocalypse comes through sophisticated defensive weapons design, the imminent economic collapse of the United States, and world-wide conspiracies involving U.S. politicians as well as those from other countries. The protagonist must decide where his allegiances lie -- family, business, country -- and what part religion will ultimately play in his life.
David Clinkscales
Mar 23, 2013 David Clinkscales rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-trib, rapture supporters
Out of respect for LaHaye's longevity as a writer, I'm giving this book two stars, but I can't be more generous than that at this point. It pains me to say but there were a couple issues that I had going through this book that I didn't notice (at least) as I was going through the Left Behind series. 1st, LaHaye regularly started a chapter or section of the book from the vantage point of a certain character and would switch to another character's perspective sometimes several times within a secti ...more
J
Aug 22, 2010 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Exciting, well-paced thriller.

Combines current affairs (global economy, interconnectedness of currencies, political tension btw. super-powers and nuke-coveting rogue states, nature of what it means to be a U.S. patriot) with a Christian understanding of end times prophecy.

Authors don't proselytize per se in the book. They simply depict characters, some of whom are believers (Abby) and some not (Josh Jordan, her husband, an engineer who's designed an ingenious return-to-sende
Olivia
Feb 20, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dge of Apocalypse gave me the chills as I read it. At the start of the book, I see the missiles heading for New York and I was scared as I read about the chaos caused in the streets. I grew even more terrified as I read the part where Cal watched helplessly as a woman gets trampled to death by the stampede. As the story goes on, I read about the government controlling the media and even using it to its advantage. Truthfully, I am not surprise if this is going on in this very times. It's quite di ...more
Timothy Diem
Jan 28, 2015 Timothy Diem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
I borrowed this audiobook from the library since I remember enjoying some of the "Left Behind" books a number of years back. This book never locked in for me and I found as it went on I had little care for any of the main characters. By the end of the book, as it is trying to set up the next in the series, I found myself thinking more about going back and checking the "Left Behind" audiobook to see how that matches up instead of having any interest in continuing this series.

The author was also
Janie Winsell
Maybe it was the fourth blood moon or the feeling that God is preparing the world for his return, but I just had to pick up The End Series by Tim LaHaye and Craig Parshall. This is the first book of The End Series: Edge of Apocalypse.

Now, those of you that read the Left Behind series may be thinking this will be along the same lines, but like me, you'd be wrong.

In my mind, this is more of a political thriller with Christian viewpoints. The plot revolves around Joshua Jordan, a former U.S. Air
Nick
May 07, 2014 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I gave up after about 150 pages. Less than that maybe. It just wasn't my thing.

The beginning was awesome. Nukes were launched at America. It was suspenseful. I was expecting WWIII. Nope. Instead it went in to this weird Congress law-suit against the guy who saved New York from becoming a radioactive Wasteland, and something about "the Algerian", which felt just as racist as "The Mandarin" from Iron Man comics in the 70s.

It was also a tad bit preachy. Three of the main characters were born-again
Jeff Landau

Are we at the stage of biblical history, current world order and nuclear dynamics where the US must rely on an ultra right wing group who has had to fight a tyrannical dictatorship controlled press to get freedoms message out and who's heroes have "in fact" saved us
from a nightmare attack and who are being framed by a drug addicted President who has Ischemic stroke blackouts and a wife who would compete with Lady Macbeth, though in a much less Shakespearean and more simplistic way. I gave this
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Dark Pursuit
  • Get Some
  • Triple Exposure
  • Impeachable Offense (Left Behind Political #2)
  • Ransom X (A Legacy Mystery #1)
  • Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Twelfth Imam (The Twelfth Imam, #1)
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye was an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim LaHaye...

The End (4 books)
  • Thunder of Heaven (The End, #2)
  • Brink of Chaos (The End, #3)
  • Mark of Evil (The End, #4)

“We can get a lot more things pushed through when the American people are sidetracked with concerns over their finances. Obama’s guys proved that a few years ago.” 0 likes