Microcosmos: Discovering the World Through Microscopic Images from 20 X to Over 22 Million X Magnification

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"A journey into everyday life through spectacular microscopic images."

This substantial volume brings together extraordinary images produced through the latest technologies in microphotography. Most of the 205 stunning, full-color photographs have been taken using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), allowing us to see our world as never before.

Each image is a close-up that...more
Published September 14th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published October 30th 2006)

Kathrynn
There are six chapters in this wonderful 9x6 full color book! On every left-hand page is the written description--including magnification used--of the full-color picture located on every right-hand page.

I found this very well put together. Informative. And the pictures are amazing to see!

In Microorganisms you can see:
* Protozoan (2000x)
* cell wall (4000x)
* tongue bacteria (23000x)
* ulcer bacteria on the stomach (9960x)
* E. coli bacteria (9400x)
* AIDS Viruses (20000x)
and much more...

In Botanics...more
Grady
The Electron Microscope and Art

MICROCOSMOS is a feast for the eyes. This is the second edition (this time in paperback) of this exotic collection of images as seen by the electron microscope that has the ability to magnify images from 20 times to over 22 million times and the results are colorful, almost indescribably beautiful details we will never see without this marvelous instrument.

Some of the images (each on a separate page with minimal verbiage to detract form the wonder) include an ant...more
Ron Krumpos
"Microcosmos: Discovering the World..." is one of the books in the secondary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism. "The greatest achievement in life" at suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf has been reviewed on Goodreads.
Noah W
Jan 02, 2013 Noah W rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb ~ Psalm 139:13

The microscopic pictures capturing the composition of a world that is hidden from the unaided eye reflect this verse. Many of the pictures addresses the human anatomy show that we are woven together out of many fibers aside from the fact many scientists consider DNA to be "knitted" together.

Great pictures that have been enhanced/colorized to highlight the elements.

Eric
I liked this book a lot. It shows you things close up in a micrope. My favorite picture was the Tarantula eyes even though i hate spiders with a passion. I recommend this book to outdoor people, people that like to hunt or camp. The pictures will keep you guessing until you read it.
Nathaniel
This book has the best pictures I've ever seen. All of the microscopic close-ups are very cool. They even have a magnification of a used razor blade.
Ke We
Oct 30, 2013 Ke We added it
this has been my visual 'bible' for the year.
incredibly out of this world, gave me goosebumps.
Wendy
Gross, disturbing, and morbidly fascinating!
Karenclifford61
Incredible photos!!!
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Acp
Acp marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Alister Thomas
Alister Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Barbc
Barbc added it
Mar 07, 2014
Steven Zachary
Steven Zachary marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
nylq
nylq marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Onkgopotse Mafojane
Onkgopotse Mafojane marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Amanda Hill
Amanda Hill marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Nekazvam Nishto
Nekazvam Nishto marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Gerke
Gerke added it
Oct 02, 2013
Daniel Cushing
Daniel Cushing marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013