Start by marking “Microcosmos: Discovering the World Through Microscopic Images from 20 X to Over 22 Million X Magnification” as Want to Read:

A journey into everyday life through spectacular microscopic images.

This substantial volume brings together extraordinary images produced through the latest technologies in microphotography. Most of the 205 stunning, full-color photographs have been taken using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), allowing us to see our world as never before.

Each image is a close-up that re
Published September 14th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published October 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Microcosmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microcosmos

Kathrynn
There are six chapters in this wonderful 9x6 full color book! On every left-hand page is the written description--including magnification used--of the full-color picture located on every right-hand page.

I found this very well put together. Informative. And the pictures are amazing to see!

In Microorganisms you can see:
* Protozoan (2000x)
* cell wall (4000x)
* tongue bacteria (23000x)
* ulcer bacteria on the stomach (9960x)
* E. coli bacteria (9400x)
* AIDS Viruses (20000x)
and much more...

In Botanics
Grady
Mar 27, 2011 Grady rated it it was amazing
The Electron Microscope and Art

MICROCOSMOS is a feast for the eyes. This is the second edition (this time in paperback) of this exotic collection of images as seen by the electron microscope that has the ability to magnify images from 20 times to over 22 million times and the results are colorful, almost indescribably beautiful details we will never see without this marvelous instrument.

Some of the images (each on a separate page with minimal verbiage to detract form the wonder) include an ant
Noah W
Jan 02, 2013 Noah W rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb ~ Psalm 139:13

The microscopic pictures capturing the composition of a world that is hidden from the unaided eye reflect this verse. Many of the pictures addresses the human anatomy show that we are woven together out of many fibers aside from the fact many scientists consider DNA to be "knitted" together.

Great pictures that have been enhanced/colorized to highlight the elements.

Ron Krumpos
Jul 19, 2014 Ron Krumpos rated it really liked it
"Microcosmos: Discovering the World..." is one of the books in the secondary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism. "The greatest achievement in life" at suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf has been reviewed on Goodreads.
Eric
Apr 19, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: contest-2
I liked this book a lot. It shows you things close up in a micrope. My favorite picture was the Tarantula eyes even though i hate spiders with a passion. I recommend this book to outdoor people, people that like to hunt or camp. The pictures will keep you guessing until you read it.
McArthur Library Staff Picks
Check out the beauty in the magnification of small things. Plants, insects, eyelashes--they're all stunning and colorful. As someone who hates to dust, even the dust was gorgeous!
Nathaniel
Aug 15, 2009 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
This book has the best pictures I've ever seen. All of the microscopic close-ups are very cool. They even have a magnification of a used razor blade.
Yifot
Yifot rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2008
Blue
Blue rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2010
Vashti
Vashti rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Karenclifford61
Jul 26, 2008 Karenclifford61 rated it it was amazing
Incredible photos!!!
Balazs
Balazs rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Claire Jackson
Claire Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2009
Janeth
Janeth rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2008
David Li
David Li rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
e
e rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2010
V
V rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2010
Phyllis Jennings
Phyllis Jennings rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2008
Giltel
Giltel rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Silvia Agar
Silvia Agar rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Casandra
Casandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2011
Matrock
Matrock rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Raleigh
Raleigh rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm" rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2008
Rogan
Rogan rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2011
Lou Rocama
Lou Rocama rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013