Start by marking “The One Ring: Adventures Over The Edge Of The Wild” as Want to Read:
The One Ring: Adventures Over The Edge Of The Wild

The One Ring: Adventures Over The Edge Of The Wild

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The new roleplaying game based on The Lord of the Rings the most influential property in fantasy Set after the events of The Hobbit; future core game releases will expand the game to the era of the War of the Ring

Two core books in premium slipcover: Loremaster's Guide for GMs and Adventurer's Handbook for players

Slipcase with 2-book set, poster map, and

7 dice. Books softco
Boxed Set
Published August 31st 2011 by Cubicle 7 Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The One Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Ring

Devon
Feb 03, 2014 Devon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
As someone who is only passingly familiar with tabletop RPGs, I can't speak to how The One Ring compares to Dungeons and Dragons or other rulesets. However, as someone who is only passingly familiar with such things, I found The One Ring to be a system complex enough to offer varying experiences and situations, but also simple enough to understand as you're reading it and putting it into practice.

The best thing about it is the fact that the authors and compilers stuck as close as possible to th
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is beautiful, very nice drawings. It all stays very true to Tolkien and it uses a lot of great inspiring quotes. The game mechanics are interesting and well explained.

So...
Special dice set: check
Character sheet: check
Preparations and maps: check
Amazing fellowship members: check
Pocket-handkerchief: check

Let's go on an adventure!!
John
Jan 16, 2015 John rated it really liked it
I finally got around to reading my copy of the first edition of The One Ring. I did so while referring to the Clarifications and Amendments document produced to bring this printing up to date with the second edition, as well as the expanded index. Both of which are available from the publisher's website.

The good part of this game is that the mechanics largely support the setting. A lot of this centers on the Hope mechanic. Hope is a resource that every hero has. It can be spent to turn some fail
M
Nov 24, 2015 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roleplaying, fantasy
I admit to having somewhat mixed feelings on this. It does seem like it has at least the potential to be a good fit for Middle-Earth. After all, rather than being a kludge of another system, this is designed from the ground up for Tolkien. And I feel like it might do a good job of it. Stuff like rules for journeys and the Fellowship phase are pretty cool, and as I reread Lord of the Rings, I see justifications for them in the original text. Also, the choice of Wilderland as default setting is a ...more
Eric
Nov 21, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg, middle-earth
A very good adaption of the Lord of the Rings setting. The mechanics of the game are different enough from the other RPGs out there to not feel like a rehash. Or that the designers were trying to shoehorn the setting into an established game system. It evokes the feeling of the world and lore as laid out my Tolkien.
Brian
Apr 02, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpg-items
Looks to be an interesting system tied closely to the thematic elements of the books. One concern is that it seems to be excessive on dice-rolling, especially in resolving the Journey aspect of the game. The highlights seem to be balancing endurance versus fatigue to prevent weariness and balancing hope vs shadow to prevent being miserable. The permanence of shadow points that could cause you to retire and the ever present threat of heroic death also brings in the theme.

The layout of information
Aaron
Mar 16, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
A great take on Tolkien's world. I think this captures the feel of Middle-earth better than any system before it.

There are a few minor things I don't care for, like social introductions, but most of the rules are elegant and interesting.

It's a little difficult to adventure in the time period of the Lord of the Rings books, and that wasn't helped by the long delay in publishing adventures, but I still hope to get a full campaign in one day.
Joshua Crowe
Jun 17, 2015 Joshua Crowe rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Really looking forward to playing this. I got a little lost in the character creation, but I'm certain it will work itself out.
Anna
Aug 20, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, from-me
Can't wait to play it!
Alison Bleser
Alison Bleser is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Jason
Jason added it
Apr 24, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Josephine Young
Josephine Young rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Frederick Dotolo
Frederick Dotolo rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
John Dodd
John Dodd rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
David Steiger
David Steiger rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Ralph Kelleners
Ralph Kelleners marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Björn Boots
Björn Boots is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2016
Andrew Dixon
Andrew Dixon rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Ric Baines
Ric Baines rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Jean-Michel Abrassart
Jean-Michel Abrassart rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Lisezlascience
Lisezlascience marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Leo Molas
Leo Molas rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015