Start by marking “Around the World in Eighty Days ” as Want to Read:
Around the World in Eighty Days

Read Book* *Different edition

Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  124,503 Ratings  ·  3,467 Reviews
‘To go around the world...in such a short time and with the means of transport currently available, was not only impossible, it was madness’

One ill-fated evening at the Reform Club, Phileas Fogg rashly bets his companions 20,000 that he can travel around the entire globe in just eighty days—and he is determined not to lose. Breaking the well-established routine of his da
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in Eighty Days, please sign up.

Sashia You can start with any one you want and it won't make a difference to your reading. I didn't even know they were considered a series.
Marinos 1873. You could also google it or, you know, read the description.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
1 I-hated-it-32-years-ago-and-still-hate-it star.

photo tumblr_inline_n9rbi1iLIR1qb3wyg_zpswi1fun8d.gif

photo tumblr_n5s7wb14Sp1rks5xoo1_500_zpsd6971541.gif

A couple days ago my son and I were talking about boring classroom reading material. This reminded me that I never rated this glorious piece of classic literature. How anyone would insist that students had to mandatorily read it in the 80s is beyond me, let alone in the 21st century. A couple years ago, when my son came home with that little paperback edition and whined about how incredibly uninteresting this "gem" is, I calmed him down by saying
Charity
Nov 10, 2008 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books, faves
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
Lyn
Dec 28, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
David
Jan 11, 2009 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Mark
May 29, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Apatt
Aug 26, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like five days for me really, though even that is too long for a 250 pages book. Well, it’s an audiobook and I only listened to it while commuting to work.

Yes, that is a silly intro but what I meant is that while listening to the book I often felt transported along with Phileas Fogg and crew. This is my first Jules Verne book, normally I prefer to read books in the original language they are written in because with translated books there is always an added layer between the translator and t
Miquel Reina
I'm a big fan of adventure and travel novels, so I couldn't stop recommending this wonderful and famous book by Jules Verne. After reading it, I'm sure you will want to make a great trip and took a year off to follow in the footsteps of Phileas Fogg! ;)

Spanish version:
Soy un gran fan de las novelas de aventuras y viajes, así que no podría dejar de recomendar este maravilloso libro de Julio Verne. Después de leerlo seguro que os entran una ganas enormes de hacer un gran viaje o tomaron un año sa
Meli
Jan 31, 2014 Meli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Jamie Collins
Jan 27, 2009 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, victorian
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
Asmaa
May 18, 2011 Asmaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

V, is for Verne

3 Stars

A true Englishman doesn't joke when he is talking about so serious a thing as a wager.

Around the World in 80 Days is a slim little adventurous classic that seems to be telling us so much more than the actual text would suggest. It’s heavily scientific jargon can be a bit much at times, and the adventure itself is interesting more than exciting.

The motley cast of characters - a staid Englishman, an excitable French servant, an American cop and an Indian maiden – have such d
Katerina
Dec 11, 2015 Katerina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Ernest Junius
Dec 28, 2009 Ernest Junius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 25, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-m-m
Chosen for the specific challenge of reading a "book that's at least 100 years older than you", this surprised me in a good way.

Part history lesson, part geography lesson - I enjoyed following the prim and proper Phileas Fogg, as he traipses across the globe to win an impossible gentlemen's wager. Add in a dogged detective determined to get his man by any means possible and a loyal, overzealous manservant, and you've got quite the zany adventure. Though they face obstacle after obstacle in the s
Maria João
Apr 22, 2016 Maria João rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9,5 de 10*

Adorei! Adorei a história, adorei o Phileas Fogg, adorei a viagem, adorei o desfecho, adorei as imagens originais incluídas nesta edição linda da Guerra & Paz.
Phileas Fogg arrisca-se a ficar no pódio de personagens que mais me marcaram na literatura. A sua postura serena e sempre controlada mesmo face às maiores adversidades é fenomenal. E Passepartout, o seu criado, sempre acelerado e imprudente, compõe o cenário para gerar cenas hilariantes. Vários foram os episódios que me arran
Jessica
Jul 21, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great classic! Fun, adventurous, chivalrous, and witty! A definite must-read. :)
Coos Burton
El agradecimiento va al Doc Emmett Brown, porque indudablemente hizo que me pique el bicho de la curiosidad en cuanto a Jules Verne, y tras meditarlo un rato me di cuenta de que no recuerdo haber leído algo suyo. Bueno, siempre hay una primera vez, y la verdad es que en conclusión si me gustó mucho el libro. No es el tipo de género que suelo leer, pero me agradó poder variar un poco y conocer a otro autor, y la historia en sí es muy entretenida. Sin duda un clásico que no podía no leer.
lanalang
Dec 06, 2014 lanalang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letto la prima volta da ragazzina, la bellezza di trentacinque anni fa. E anche oggi come allora, mi è sembrato di viaggiare insieme ai protagonisti, mi sono divertita da matti e mi sono ritrovata a seguirne tutto il percorso sulle cartine geografiche dell'atlante.
E pur conoscendone il finale, oggi, come allora, mi sono ritrovata a leggere le ultime pagine con vera trepidazione.

La quinta stellina ha di certo un valore tutto sentimentale che proprio non posso non considerare :))
Carmine
Divertente e simpatico caposaldo del genere avventura.
" Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni" è la genuina rappresentazione dello spirito avventuriero di Verne, sognatore incallito fin dalla più tenera età.
Il romanzo (come appena detto) diventa veicolo della più sfrenata curiosità, palesando più volte un'ingenua meraviglia verso alcuni elementi "emergenti"di quel secolo, non ultimo il fascino del viaggio.
Detto questo, l'opera perde parecchio a causa dell'impostazione narrativa, sin troppo didascalica
Jess
Sep 13, 2009 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers, people who miss the days the sun didn't set on the british empire, Verne fans
Recommended to Jess by: Falls into the ought-to read catalogy
Shelves: z_09, classic
While playing cards, a rich Englishman takes a bet, insisting it is possible to circle the globe in 80 days. And away he goes...

This is one of those books where I like the idea behind it more than the actual text. A race around the world with a deadline of 80 days? That sounds like fun.

As a British armchair traveler in 1872, I would have adored this. As Jess in 2009, it drags a bit. I simply don't care for long multi-paragraph descriptions of places. Frankly, I was a bit surprised to see all th
Brandi
A cute story. I liked Passepartout the most of all the characters. But poor guy, he couldn't catch a break.

When reading this, you have to keep in mind that it was written in a different time period. It's riddled with ethnic stereotypes that were commonplace back then.
Anastasia
Mar 26, 2016 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sono stanca di essere gabbata così.

Com'è 'sta storia che la classicissima immagine di Fogg e Passepartout sulla mongolfiera in realtà non esiste nemmeno ne Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni? Perché sfatare così un mito?
Si parla di tutto, ma non di ipotetici viaggi in mongolfiera.
Questo è un colpo troppo duro al mio immaginario pre-costruito.

Si spera che riuscirò a superarla.

Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni racconta dell'affanno nel vincere una scommessa fatta in un circolo tipicamente inglese. La sco
Əsli Musayeva
Apr 21, 2016 Əsli Musayeva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Əvvəlki kitablarından fərqli olaraq elə də çox aksion yox idi dediyim halda sonda şaşırtı Jül Vern :) Bir an uşaqlığımdakı Jül Vern pərəstişkarı Əsli oyandı kitabı oxuyanda. Bunu bitirməmiş başqa əsərlərini də alacağımı qarantiyalamışdım. İndiki fantastik kitabları sevənlər üçün bəlkə də sıxıcı gələcək, amma mən çox sevdim ^_^
Sarah AlObaid
Feb 02, 2016 Sarah AlObaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 stars.
I enjoyed this very much! It was witty, it was clever, it was fun, i absolutely loved it. I thought listening to it as an audiobook would ruin the experience for me, but on the contrary, it added a certain element of excitement to it, it was almost like listening to a friend telling a very interesting, and very real story. Having said that, i do have a few minor problems with this book. I do not like the way Aouda was perceived as a weak female character in some parts of the book, desp
Marvin
May 02, 2011 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne was my first love in literature. I ended up reading most of his books in elementary school, then moved on to H. G. Wells. Verne's novels were my introduction in adventure writing and science fiction. While Verne and H.G. Wells are both batted around as the father of science fiction, I see Verne as more of a fantasy adventure writer. I think his reputation for predicting the future tends to be exaggerated as most of the ideas like submarines and rockets were already in the 19th centur ...more
Bethan
Sep 16, 2013 Bethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regular-fiction
Although written by a Frenchman, the protagonist is the straight and phlegmatic Phileas Fogg (he embodies the British cultural stereotype), who takes up a 20,000 bet in the 1870s, to travel around the world in eighty days. He takes his French manservant Passepartout with him and they encounter adventures and delays along the way. A detective, Fix, follows them because he thinks Fogg is a thief and wants to arrest him.

It's charming, a lot of fun, and I got caught up in the race against time. I s
Muhammad Galal
-- جول فيرن هو نفسُه مؤلف القصة الشهيرة التى درسناها جميعًا فى الصف الثالث الإعدادى " Journey to the centre of the earth" .
-- الكاتب يتميز بدمج الحقائق العلمية بالأفكار فى قصص خيالية .
-- الرواية كُتبت عام 1873 م .
-- لعلّ أكثر ما أعجبنى فى شخصية مستر " فوج " --بغض النظر عن هدوئه المبالغ فيه-- هو تعامله مع الظروف الراهنة كما هى ، ليس عنده وقت للبكاء على اللبن المسكوب .
-- من النقاط الهامّة والمتكررة هى أن دائمًا الوعد بالمكافأة تكون أفضل طريق لبذل أقصى جهد ممكن .
-- رواية كلاسيكية بنهاية كلاسيكية
Chas Smash
No es tan emocionante como Viaje al Centro de la Tierra o 20000 leguas de viaje submarino pero te mantiene en suspense, deseando que Mister Fogg llegue a tiempo para ganar su apuesta. Un clásico.
book update 2 10 Apr 28, 2016 06:00PM
book upload 1 14 Apr 16, 2016 06:31AM
Around the Year i...: Around the World in 80 Days, by Jules Verne 3 16 Feb 28, 2016 02:45AM
Jules Verne: January's Adventure Around the World in Eighty Days 3 3 Jan 30, 2016 11:51PM
All About Books: Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (Group Classic Oct/Nov 2015) 30 51 Nov 25, 2015 11:25AM
visually nice issue 1 16 Nov 04, 2015 03:13AM
  • Le tigri di Mompracem
  • Bouvard and Pecuchet
  • Ivanhoe
  • La Bête Humaine
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Winnetou I - IV
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Old Curiosity Shop
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The Coral Island
  • Robinson Crusoe
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)

“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 1621 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 97 likes