Around the World in Eighty Days
read book* *Different edition

Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  92,496 ratings  ·  2,415 reviews
'To go around the world...in such a short time and with the means of transport currently available, was not only impossible, it was madness'

One ill-fated evening at the Reform Club, Phileas Fogg rashly bets his companions £20,000 that he can travel around the entire globe in just eighty days - and he is determined not to lose. Breaking the well-establised routine of his d...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in Eighty Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in Eighty Days

David
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked...more
Charity
Nov 10, 2008 Charity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books, france, faves
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w...more
Mark
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures...more
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Asmaa
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Ernest Junius
Dec 28, 2009 Ernest Junius rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day...more
Meli
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Kathryn
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5...more
Jamie
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
Anastasia
Sono stanca di essere gabbata così.

Com'è 'sta storia che la classicissima immagine di Fogg e Passepartout sulla mongolfiera in realtà non esiste nemmeno ne Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni? Perché sfatare così un mito?
Si parla di tutto, ma non di ipotetici viaggi in mongolfiera.
Questo è un colpo troppo duro al mio immaginario pre-costruito.

Si spera che riuscirò a superarla.

Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni racconta dell'affanno nel vincere una scommessa fatta in un circolo tipicamente inglese. La sco...more
Jess
Sep 13, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers, people who miss the days the sun didn't set on the british empire, Verne fans
Recommended to Jess by: Falls into the ought-to read catalogy
Shelves: z_09, travelog, classic
While playing cards, a rich Englishman takes a bet, insisting it is possible to circle the globe in 80 days. And away he goes...

This is one of those books where I like the idea behind it more than the actual text. A race around the world with a deadline of 80 days? That sounds like fun.

As a British armchair traveler in 1872, I would have adored this. As Jess in 2009, it drags a bit. I simply don't care for long multi-paragraph descriptions of places. Frankly, I was a bit surprised to see all th...more
Bethan
Although written by a Frenchman, the protagonist is the straight and phlegmatic Phileas Fogg (he embodies the British cultural stereotype), who takes up a £20,000 bet in the 1870s, to travel around the world in eighty days. He takes his French manservant Passepartout with him and they encounter adventures and delays along the way. A detective, Fix, follows them because he thinks Fogg is a thief and wants to arrest him.

It's charming, a lot of fun, and I got caught up in the race against time. I...more
Eva
The writing in this book was quite bad, although it may be unfair to blame Jules Verne for that since he wrote it in French and this was an English translation. But the story was totally ridiculous and quite upsetting. Verne's portrayal of Native Americans and South Asians borders on lunacy. His characters are all ridiculous stereotypes and are completely unbelievable. But the twist at the end...loved it. I thought it was really smart and surprising, especially for the target audience, which I'v...more
Tien
This is the first time I've actually read this book and I am very much influenced by the movies! I was expecting hot air balloons and kept looking for the 'balloon ride' part in the book. I was very much surprised when I reached the end of the book and there was ONLY 1 mention of 'balloon'. It was only mentioned in passing. Well...

I did enjoy the book. Phileas Fogg is totally & completely OCD however I like the ending where he does show that he is not completely absent of feelings wherein th...more
Tariq Alferis

رواية ممتعة ..رهان لرحلة حول العالم فــ ثمانين يوما ...خيال ولاه ..؟ لكن جول فيرن جعل القصة كآنه حقيقة ..نتفكر قاريه من زمان جدا لكن الاحداث ضاعت مني ..من اجمل روايات الادب العالمي ..

وداعا جول فيرن ..نلتقي فـ رحلة الي مركز الارض .الممتع انه كملته في جلسة واحدة بدون ماننتبه .

Anila
So after reading an atrocious abridged version in my French class, I went down to the library and got the original. (Which, by the way, got short shrift on cover. Have you SEEN the Apple Classics version? I don't think they could have made it look lamer if they tried.)

This book is frustrating and fantastic at the same time. When I finished it, I was beaming. Jules Verne is, IMHO, one of the first science fiction authors and this book is nonetheless half romance. No, not kidding; it really does h...more
Daniel Wood
The most enjoyable book I have read in a long time, I was enthralled from the first chapter.

Some complain about the stereotypes and racist/xenophobic undertones of some parts, but in the context of Victorian-era Europe, this was how much of the population though, much as some of our attitudes today will seem inappropriate or offensive to future readers.

My one criticism is the pace change. The early parts of the journey are described in the finest detail, pairing a perfect picture of what the cha...more
Mohamed Galal
-- جول فيرن هو نفسُه مؤلف القصة الشهيرة التى درسناها جميعًا فى الصف الثالث الإعدادى " Journey to the centre of the earth" .
-- الكاتب يتميز بدمج الحقائق العلمية بالأفكار فى قصص خيالية .
-- الرواية كُتبت عام 1873 م .
-- لعلّ أكثر ما أعجبنى فى شخصية مستر " فوج " --بغض النظر عن هدوئه المبالغ فيه-- هو تعامله مع الظروف الراهنة كما هى ، ليس عنده وقت للبكاء على اللبن المسكوب .
-- من النقاط الهامّة والمتكررة هى أن دائمًا الوعد بالمكافأة تكون أفضل طريق لبذل أقصى جهد ممكن .
-- رواية كلاسيكية بنهاية كلاسيكية
The movie Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) has a splendid cast: David Niven, Cantinflas, Robert Morley, Noel Coward, Trevor Howard, Charles Boyer, Cesar Romero, Shirley MacLaine, Charles Coburn, Peter Lorre, Marlene Dietrich, John Carradine, Frank Sinatra, Buster Keaton ando so on.
'esteban Dilo
Mi primer libro de Verne y por nada será el último. Me encantó su forma de relatar las aventuras y sobre todo el valor científico dentro de la obra, que le da el toque mágico por el año en el cual esta escrito. Los personajes totalmente queribles y expuestos, al igual del despliegue y la descripción geográfica.

¡GRANDE VERNE!
Lucinda
Around the world in 80 days was first published in 1873 and was written during very difficult times for both France and Verne, during the Franco- Prussian war (1870-1871) and when technological advances & breakthroughs were occouring in 1869-70 that made this story so believable and relistic. It sparked the imagination on that anyone could sit down, draw up a schedule, by tickets and travel around the world, a feat that was previously reserved for only the most heroic and hardy of adventurer...more
Marvin
Jules Verne was my first love in literature. I ended up reading most of his books in elementary school, then moved on to H. G. Wells. Verne's novels were my introduction in adventure writing and science fiction. While Verne and H.G. Wells are both batted around as the father of science fiction, I see Verne as more of a fantasy adventure writer. I think his reputation for predicting the future tends to be exaggerated as most of the ideas like submarines and rockets were already in the 19th centur...more
Kaph
Verdict: A sweet and iconic circumnavigation tale, though I can't help but think it's lost something through time and translation.

Lets just get this out of the way; there is no balloon. I don't know if this is one of those common fallacies that proper book people are aware of, but I was caught completely out. There must be a balloon, I kept telling myself as the chapters marched on, why else would it be on the crisps? http://www.phileasfogg.com/ Nevertheless, the crisps (and pop culture in gener...more
Alex
I love Jules Verne. He's a ton of fun to read. The adventure stuff is fun, of course, but he also creates awesome characters. Nemo's probably his best-known, but the supremely phlegmatic Phineas Fogg of this book is nearly as memorable. His complete disinterest in exploring the places he passes through is sortof anathema to me, but maybe that's what makes him so fascinating; when I think of traveling around the world, it's with the purpose of seeing it, whereas he sees the entire thing simply as...more
Ann
May 11, 2009 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Yay! My first audio book! Let me start by saying that if this is any indication of Jim Dale's other audio book work he is indeed worthy of all the praise he's been given! He has such a wonderful, full, warm voice for narrating and his character voices are incredible! Each character is varied and unique, the voice perfectly fitting of the character's personality. I can hardly wait to listen to another audio book he's narrated.

As for the story itself I was quite charmed and pleased. I really had l...more
Shayantani Das
“I say, you do have a heart!'

Sometimes,' he replied. 'When I have the time.”

So says his Highness Phileas Fogg to his adorable French manservant Passepartout.

My my, I may be in love with both of them! Although, except for the princess bride, all the characters in the book were very amusing. The stereotypical representation of India ruffled my feathers a bit at first, (there is a scene where the Goddess Kali rides on a rath to bestow her blessing on a sati ceremony!) but then almost all the soci...more
Joshua Rigsby
Jules Verne is best known for his science fiction, but this work was set entirely in reality, based around a technological marvel that promised a thrilling new era of travel, adventure, and exploration.

In 1873 steam power had changed the world, splitting vast seas and impenetrable jungles in the name of Western Progress. The British empire and its residual colonies stretched like a canvas of order and authority over the world's heathen savages. For the first time in human history a man could tr...more
Cheri
I enjoy Jules Verne and the plot is, of course, jam packed with adventure, but Verne's old colonialist attitudes are truly annoying and left me rolling my eyes at many of the character descriptions. Once I was past them though, it was just a good old fashioned yarn.
Fahad
حول العالم في ثمانين يوما ً

قرأتها في طفولتي، فلذا أخذت بسحر الرحلة، رغم أن النسخة التي حصلت عليها بالمقايضة كانت تنقصها الصفحتين الأخيرتين، فلذا انتظرت طويلا ً لأعرف أن السيد فيلياس فوج قد أنهى الرحلة بنجاح.

جميلة وممتعة.
Flora Bateman
This was such a fun read! Philieas Fogg races around the world on a bet. All the while unbeknownst to him, is dogged every step by a detective with a case of mistaken identity. And while its true, as so many have pointed out, this book has a very pro-English and anti-any other race. It must be taken in the concept of the time it was written. That was the general attitude of the day, as sad as that is. It was just the accepted norm of the time. I should hope that we have come a long way since the...more
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • Queen Margot, or Marguerite de Valois (The Last Valois, #1)
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • The Jungle Book
  • Cuore
  • Всадник без головы
  • The Swiss Family Robinson
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • Le tigri di Mompracem
  • Moonfleet
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • The Food Of The Gods
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • Aesop's Fables
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 204 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 61 likes