Start by marking “Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries #1)

Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  16,796 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews
Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side--and crime buffs. One of whom is Aurora Roe Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club. It's a harmless pastime--until one of the Club's members is killed.
Published March 1st 2012 by Gollancz (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Real Murders, please sign up.

Jennifer As a Southerner- tea parties, in the garden, tend to happen often in the south. Everyone has some type of "garden" that we can show people to if you…moreAs a Southerner- tea parties, in the garden, tend to happen often in the south. Everyone has some type of "garden" that we can show people to if you don't want them in your house (even if it's 2 chairs on your porch & you're looking at your flower bed). It's one of those "understood" things that you won't understand if your parents and their parents weren't born here. It's passed down- and extremely prevelant still in small towns in GA & TN. (less)

The Holy Terror
I decided to read this on a plane trip because it seemed easy to read and get into without having to think too hard, which is good because I get sleepy on planes. I don't often read mysteries but I'm determined to read everything Harris writes. I like her other two mystery protagonists, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly, but I have to say I like Aurora Teagarden the least.

Aurora is pretty plain and boring, even without her being a librarian. She lives alone and doesn't even have a pet. She's 28 and
Angela
After reading all the Sookie books, and then starting this series out of curiosity, I've realized that Charlaine Harris needs to quit preaching through her characters.

Both female characters, Sookie and Aurora (not sure about the other two), have mentioned more than once about not having a boyfriend and being lonely and envying people who do date, both want babies, neither one feels comfortable sleeping around, both feel they should be more religious than they are, and it gets old really fast. (B
Amy
I like reading Harris' Southern Vampire series and I am a librarian so I thought I would give her Aurora Teagarden series a mystery (Aurora is a librarian). At first I was a little overwhelmed with the cast of characters introduced off the bat (12+ characters, some significant, some not so much...). I did like that the murder was discovered within the first chapter or two. It is a drag when the murder happens 1/3 of the way through the book...
Overall I enjoyed this book. I was hoping that Aurora
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Boring
Rating: R
Overall: An entertaining read
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Try to stop a killer while dating
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Arthur

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is another Audible Daily Deal that I picked up. I liked this story well enough to move on to book two to be sorely disappointed.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
COMING SOON 7/31/15

Audio Review
Thérèse Plummer did a good job at narratio
Stephanie
*4.5 stars*

I don't often read mysteries nowadays, but I loved the narrator's voice so much, it sucked me right in. I love librarian Aurora Teagarden, her intelligence, her sense of humor, and her deeply grounded, common sense attitude combined with her barely-hidden desire for adventure. I love her mom and her community, and for once, I'm actually really enjoying the love triangle Aurora is in.

(Normally, I really dislike love triangles and just have to shrug and cope with them when they appear
Nikinnia Smith garcia
I expected this book to be so much better than it was. I think I should've given it 2.5 stars. It was just ok. Aurora is no Lily Bard. She is a member of a club that reviews real murders(hence the title). Someone in their town is going around and committing murders that they have reviewed. The killer kills a member of the club, while implicating other members of the club by using something that belonged to the member as a murder weapon.
I had my suspicions about one of the members, but turns out
Jensownzoo
I started this earlier this week but just finished it today. Already a bad sign. I thought when I picked this up that it was a mystery novel with a librarian protagonist which was written by someone who's other work I rather enjoyed. Apparently, that was not enough to avoid a bad egg.

This book was sparely written, in descriptions of the setting as well as development of the characters. One or the other I could have forgiven if blown away by the remainder, but not both. It seemed like a book tha
Jim
Similar to Harris' other books, but without any paranormal elements. The heroine, Aurora, is pretty upbeat & interesting. She's 28, unmarried & has an odd hobby - she's a member of a club that discusses old murders. When club members start dying, she recognizes they're reenactments of old crimes & tells the police so. They don't believe her, so she is forced into figuring out who the killer is herself, but she doesn't jump into it with both feet. Very believable the way she stumbles ...more
Kate
I wanted to read this after hearing the Aurora Teagarden books were being made into a series of Hallmark made for TV movies. I figured the series must be fun if Hallmark was basing a whole set of movies on them, and I was right! This book was cozy, funny and well written. I liked the main character, who is a 28 year old librarian who belongs to a "real murder" club. When members of the club start dying in ways that are reminiscent of famous murders, she is thrust into the middle of the mystery. ...more
Katie Bock
Dec 08, 2012 Katie Bock rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murder-mystery loving Grandmas
Shelves: fun-meaty-reads
Like many readers, I love reading every book by Charlaine Harris. If I thought it would make her writing more prolific, I would donate $10 out of each paycheck to Ms. Harris..

That said, the Aurora Teagarden series is not the one I'd recommend to first-time readers. In it, I miss the darkness of the Lily Bard novels and the manic fun (and sex scenes!) of the ridiculously famous Sookie Stackhouse novels. However, it is nice to find a Harris novel I could recommend to Grandma - if Grandma liked mur
Piyali
I enjoyed this book so much more than the Sookie Stackhouse series, primarily because I like reading stories about humans solving mysteries. Aurora Teagarden is a librarian in Lawrenceton, Georgia. She is a member of a club real murders where members get together and discuss true murders that happened in the past. But suspicions fall upon the members when a string of murders starts happening emulating some of the old murders that took place in the past. And our librarian protagonist is under sus ...more
a_tiffyfit
I'm commenting on the entire Aurora Teagarden mysteries series in this one review...

It is an OK series. The plotlines are entertaining, but the editing, in a word, SUCKS.

The names of the characters (last names) get screwed up, the spelling errors are abundant, the prose doesn't flow, and it makes you stutter as you read it.

That being said, I did enjoy the series. I read five of the books in one night. Easy read. Good brain dump.

Harris' Harper Connolly series is much better and with a lot fewe
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I'm an avid "Murder, She Wrote" and Agatha Christie fan and love those types of cozy mysteries involving amateur sleuths in small towns. The cast of characters and the mysteries are usually pretty diverse and interesting. This series by Ms. Harris does fall into that category, but wasn't quite as appealing to me as I would have liked.

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden was okay as a main character, albeit a little bit boring and staid for a 28-year old, but she never really did a lot
Pamela
Rhia
I thought I'd give this a try because I'm a fan of murder mysteries and loved the Sookie Stackhouse novels.

It was terribly disappointing.

Aurora is incredibly dull. No, not because she's a small town librarian. There's just no personality there. She doesn't seem to have any habits or hopes & dreams or anything.
I think in the hands of another author, there is a lot of potential for a cute librarian with a quirky name! Sadly, Charlaine did not do this character justice.

Same goes for the two
Laura Bang
This book is basically made up entirely of tropes that I just don't like. The worst were the two love interests who are very territory males (ugh) and the fact that the main female character has complaints and/or dislike of every other female character.

Besides that, all of the characters lacked ... character. They felt like cardboard-cutouts of boring people. Very few details about the town either. The mystery was okay, but I just wasn't really invested since the characters were all so flat.

(I c
Danielle
This book is just the right combination of mystery, light-reading, and fun characters. At first, I found the main character a little annoying, but as the book progressed, she really grew on me. This book has the funny internal dialogue reminiscent of the Harris' Southern Vampire series, but is a complete departure from the writing style and characters in those books.

This series is a great find for before bed light reading.
Tatiana
Like many other readers, I started reading this book only because I loved Sookie Stackhouse series and was looking to read something along those lines. If (like me) you enjoyed SS series only because of the whole supernatural story, this book is not for you. The rest is pretty much the same as in SS - very light, entertaining story, female main character living an ordinary life until something special happens, etc. If you like mysteries, it is a pleasant read. But for me, a big fan of vampires, ...more
Jonathan
Sometimes you just need to read a book that gives you goosebumps. This was one of those books, filled with intrigue, mayhem, and copycat killers this book had me up half of the night last night reading and it was amazing.

The MC, Aurora was wonderfully written. When Aurora laughed you wanted to laugh, when she screamed you wanted to scream, when she fainted you wanted to faint. Ms. Harris did a simply wonderful job of writing Aurora as more than a fictional character, as an individual being, with
Melissa
I loved the premise of this story/series, and there are many great points about this book. The first murder and Aurora Teagarden's discovery of the first body (and her name!), the characters and all their quirks, and the potential that came from a small-town setting.

In fact, there were many, many elements of this story that were good. It may be that I'm not a fan of Harris' voice, or I felt that there were elements that could have been developed a little better...the Real Murder Club itself was
Tiffani
There used to be a series of movies on the Hallmark Channel called Mystery Woman about a female bookstore owner who had a passion for mystery novels, a habit of stumbling over dead bodies, and a talent for solving mysteries. I always wished that the movies were based on a book because that is a book I would read. Alas, there is no Mystery Woman book series that I've been able to find, but I found something close: the Aurora Teagrarden series by Charlaine Harris. This weekend Hallmark is premieri ...more
Kaitlyn Dunnett
As always, I'm curious about the changes made in a book when it adapted for television. With Real Murders, there were two main changes. One, Hallmark Movie Channel filmed the second in the series as the first, which made it necessary to shift around some events in this one, particularly in Roe's relationship with Arthur. The second big change was in condensing the number of characters. Two of the characters in the novel were condensed into one to give Roe a gal pal, something that works very wel ...more
Linda
Jul 03, 2015 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Linda by: other fans of Charlaine Harris
The first time I read this book was in 2010 and I finished it on May 2, 2010. This is my 2nd time reading it and I am really looking forward to it. Don't mind re-reading a book that is light, interesting but I love that main female character is a "librarian". Yay!!
3.5 stars.

I have hope for this series, started directly after finishing The Southern Vampire Chronicles.

Aurora (Roe) Teagarden is a sweet, stuffy, glasses wearing librarian with seemingly the same taste in clothes as Sookie Stackhouse. Both live alone, are sexually frustrated, and enjoy the more mundane things in life such as preparing a meal, doing the laundry, picking up the house, making the bed and slipping inside clean bed sheets.

The mystery is not very mysterious in this book, however,
Este libro podría haber sido bueno, pero ha resultado ser una idea decente desarrollada de manera pésima a través de una protagonista aburridísima. No sé cómo será el resto de la saga y tampoco voy a hacer el intento de averiguarlo. Una pena.
Meli
¡Me encantó! Súper ameno, muy entretenido y, lo mejor, de lo más desconcertante. ¡Casi imposible adivinar quién es el asesino! :D
(Aunque estaba en mi lista de sospechosos, ni de casualidad se me cruzó por la cabeza cómo era el asunto).
Cindy
I think this may be more of a 3.5 for me. It's my first cozy type mystery and I'm not sure it's the genre for me. I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and wanted to give Ms. Harris's other works a try. I did like most of the characters, but there were a lot. Not sure I'll remember everyone when I read the second book. There were a couple love interests for Aurora, but I'm not sure they were believable for me. In general the characters didn't come as alive for me as in the Stackhouse books. ...more
Xulieta NeveraDeLibros
He tenido en mente leer este libro desde hace muchos años. Las razones son las siguientes, la portada me encanta y me da muy buena sensación, el argumento es muy llamativo y la escritora, Charlaine Harris, siempre me ha gustado desde que comencé a leer las aventuras y desventuras de la camarera Sookie Stackhouse y sus amantes.

La acción se desenvuelve en un pequeño pueblo llamado Lawrencenton, en Georgia y nuestra protagonista es Aurora Teagarden, una bibliotecaria aficionada a los libros de crím
Michelle Randall
I enjoyed author Charlaine Harris's Vampire books with Sookie Stackhouse and so I decided that I wanted to try some more of her books, so I got ahold of some of the Aurora Teagarden Mystery books.

Real Murders is the first book in the Aurora Teagarden Mystery series and begins with the monthly Friday night meeting of the Real Murders Club. This is a group of people that get together to study, read and analyze old murders, argue for the conviction or against, or present suspects if never solved. I
Joy
Jul 19, 2009 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Impishimpi
A cute cozy mystery. Aurora Teagarden does not run a teahouse, she is a librarian.

Aurora belongs to a club for true-crime buffs, where the first body is found. Someone is taking the crimes they study as blueprints, for a game that is all too real.

REAL MURDERS is notable for having no clues from which to figure out the killer, until the climactic event. In the meantime we can enjoy Aurora and her mother, her neighbors, and her two suitors: Robin the mystery writer, and Arthur the policeman. The
Book Lovers Book ...: March 2015-Real Murders by Charlaine Harris 1 4 Feb 21, 2015 12:50PM