Start by marking “Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)

Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  14,038 Ratings  ·  438 Reviews
Another fantastic adventure in NY TIMES bestselling author Chris d'Lacey's dragon saga!

In the thrilling third book in Chris d'Lacey's popular series, David Rain is faced with a perilous task. ICEFIRE's evil sibyl Gwilanna is back, this time determined to resurrect the dragon Gawain on the ice cap of the Tooth of Ragnar. Can David and his friends stop her before it's too la
Published August 1st 2011 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Star, please sign up.

Julianna definately. it recaps and hinges upon the events in the last novel.

Chris
Dec 21, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book, thinking it was the 2nd of the series. After being about 1/2 way though it, I found out I was on the 3rd. No worries, though, as the author does a good job explaining and "recapping" so I feel like I didn't miss much by skipping a book.

Like The Fire Within, this story is about dragons. Little clay dragons that live in the Pennykettle house. David, the tenant, is a writer with his special dragon, Gadzooks.

I won't reveal too much of the story, but I will say I'm surprised this
Maribeth
Jul 08, 2012 Maribeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
As with the first two books in this series, I was reading "Fire Star" out loud to my 7 year old son. Why he likes these books, I simply cannot understand. I think it's the hope that there may, at some point, actually be dragons in the story (they are in there, but certainly not the focus). Lucky for me, we had to return this one to the library while we were only halfway through it.

I might actually put my foot down on this one and refuse to finish it. Beyond the fact that I simply don't like it,
Serena
Sarah AlObaid
Boy, this sure took me a while to get through. At parts, it was really interesting, at parts, i was just like: dafuq. But i did really love the way all those subplots came together in the end. Also, the characters are great. And by characters i mostly mean the dragons.
Florentine Lily
This review was originally posted on my site.

I found out that this was suppose to be the final book in the series. So the extension that was book 4, 5, 6, and 7 were intentionally written to...? It all makes sense now. This book is neither thrilling nor final.

Half-way through Fire Star was where Mr. d'Lacey started to lose me. I love the beginning. What with the Polar bears and everything. About midway in, the author got too environmentalist for me. I felt like I was reading a report on global w
Mandy
Nov 30, 2009 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2006
Steven R. McEvoy
Chris d'Lacey is an amazing author! In just over a year I have read 25 books by him. To be honest I started this series and then set it aside to read a bunch of his other works, before returning to it, because of how many books were remaining. The Last Dragon Chronicles is an excellent series and this in a wonderful read. This book ramps up the action from the earlier books.

This book continues from the earlier books. At the beginning David and Zanna are in the Artic on a research project. David
Bonn
Aug 21, 2008 Bonn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Even when I was stuck in the same empty room for six consecutive hours with no one to talk to and nothing else to do, I still couldn't read this whole book. I had the time and the means, but not the desire. I tried, I really did, but nothing of the charms of the first book carried over into this installment. I'm all for modernizing, mixing, and mashing old myths and legends, especially across cultures, but this was just too much for me. I gave up half through and googled the summaries for the re ...more
John Polt
May 02, 2013 John Polt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Third and final book in the first trilogy. In this book, David is faced with a dangerous task. Gwilanna, or Aunt Gwyneth, has returned and is bent on revenge. This book starts out with David on a college trip to the artic with his class, primarily, his new girlfriend Suzanna, or Zanna for short. During his trip to the Arctic, Gwilanna kidnaps Liz's daughter, Lucy, in order to revive the legendary dragon Gawain. David returns to Scrubbley but soon enough is sent back to the arctic in ...more
Susie
Mar 15, 2009 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-children
This is the 3rd in the series. It jumped pretty quickly into the fantasy realm. I was not happy with the ending... which for most books counts as a failure. But there was plenty of interesting stuff going on.

Not as kid friendly as the first 2 books. There is a relationship that involves "staying over" and main characters die in this book. Also, takes some pot shots at the church. It always seems like such a disappointment to me when someone with so much imagination stereotypes the church. Where
Caleb
Jan 26, 2012 Caleb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The problem with this book is that it meanders so far from the plot of the previous two it entirely destroys the series. The plot that was once well established has been thrown out the window and new concepts and characters create gaping plot holes. Most of the characters are far from likable, and then...the protagonist dies. and there are more books. This is sad.
Daisy Blair
I liked this series, it was okay, but I didn't really feel inclined to read the next books.
Ival Crisp
Oct 30, 2011 Ival Crisp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fire Star is the third installment of the Last Dragon Chronicles, and the plot is finally beginning to heat up. Much of the setting takes place in the arctic, where serious events are beginning to escalate. Now three books into the story, I am devouring Chris D'Lacey's writing with a passion. I am now very familiar with his writing style; the way he incorporates vast, complicated, and fascinating ideas into a a simple script that anyone could read with ease. I am in awe. ;-)

In this fascinating b
Oliver
Oct 21, 2016 Oliver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story, we follow the happenings of the dragons, as they try to assist their creator, Liz Pennykettle, her daughter, Lucy Pennykettle, and their friend and tenant, David Rain. In this edition of The Last Dragon Chronicles, the dragons are trying to stop the awakening of a large, actual dragon, instead of a clay one. We also meet a new character, Brother Vincent, or by David, Arthur, as well as travel to many places, such as the Arctic, Wayward Crescent; the Pennykettles's town, and an is ...more
Peyton Mcbride
Nov 13, 2014 Peyton Mcbride rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the context of the book, it really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Firstly the book starts out slow introducing the characters, the plot, and the setting. I think the rising action was really exciting because it gives so much information of the conflict between the protagonist and his own state of mind. When the climax hits that's when most of the action happens, the protagonist finds what he's been looking for the whole book. When the falling action comes the story calms down ...more
Siobhan
In all honesty, these are books that are fun at the time of reading them but as you get older they quickly lose their allure.

I’ve always enjoyed dragons books and because of that I think it took me longer to realise it is a rather repetitive read. Not that such a thing really matters all that much with children’s books, so long as the child is engaged with the story, but as I worked my way through the series they seemed to lose their fun somewhat because of this.

By the time I reached the fourth
Angus Mcfarlane
The saga continues with unexpected twists and a surprising and, for me, disappointing ending. The introduction of the dark star and the additions it brings to the plot I found somewhat obscure and in this book at least, unresolved. The fate of the character I most connected with leaves me a little less motivated to read the next, but my daughter will be motivated enough for us both, I'm sure.
Kylee~Percabeth~Captain Swan~Romione~Fourtris~
This book actually included my favorite thing in the world. Greek mythology! Of course, dragons are Greek mythology, but this book included more. However, I like my books fast-paced. I still liked this book though, and it leaves a few mysteries throughout the book. If I could, I would rate it a 3 1/2. I would still people to red the series. Every boo is worth reading.
Kristen
May 11, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
I didn't like this book nearly as much as the previous ones. To my extreme dissapiontment, there was something dark about it that scared me. I was highly dissapionted with this book.
Brandy Ruiz
Aug 13, 2013 Brandy Ruiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply cannot stop reading (or shall I say devouring) this series. I'm 34 years old and I'm allowing my imagination to run wild with The Last Dragon Chronicles.
Elise
Jul 03, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ending was such I shock, I never saw anythink like that comming. I don't want to ruin it for so I shall say just this, when you get near the end expect something big, very big.
sydney prince
This might be the worst book of all time.
Deborah Dempsey
May 23, 2017 Deborah Dempsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Warning: Might contain spoilers.
FInally! The importance of the squirrels and David's ability to write occurring events (which are the focal points of the very boring first book of the series) are finally put into play a bit in this book. I still don't think the whole first book should've been about squirrels just so they could show up a bit in this one! (Can you tell I'm still bitter about it??).

Anyhow, this book has a fair bit more excitement, and much more about dragons and polar bears, and
Kolden Baehman
May 16, 2017 Kolden Baehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response:
I really enjoyed this book. Chris D'Lacey does a great job explaining the plot and gives good detail. He also made a good storyline even better.

Plot Summary:
David and Zanna left for the Arctic, and stayed there for a few months. Lucy disappeared with Gwilanna to the Tooth of Ragnar. Lucy was used to try and bring Gawain back to life. Zanna was attacked by a polar bear and disappeared with the one that attacked her. David felt hopeless, but eventually saved Lucy and Zanna. Whe
04BenZ Auditore da Firenze
Fire Star is a great book wrote by Chris d'Lacey. Fire Star takes place in Scrubbly in Wayward Crescent and from the first book David Rain (the tenant for Mrs. Penykettle and her daughter Lucy Penykettle) and through out the books he goes through all these weird stuff thats happening ever since he moved in, and finds out something he couldnt beleive. But thats the first book. What I am going to tell you about is Fire Star witch is the 3rd book in the series. In the book David Rain goes to collag ...more
Ivan
I think it was an overall good book.
Shane Slagle
Jan 06, 2011 Shane Slagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ker Malkin
I'm having a hard time trying to fathom my thoughts regarding this book. I've got mixed feelings after reading it and just couldn't tell if I was disappointed, happy or sad; I don't know.

Starting off from the beginnings of this third installment, I was rather interested. There's a whole new plot to it and I kinda liked it and just wanted to go on. The characters from the previous book were being brought back once again except for Sophie. But as the middle bits hit, it then got kinda boring and a
Christa Lane
*Updated version*

Spoilers in review read at own risk

So this book is very fast paced and it incorporates so many different things at once that you really have to pay attention to get every detail. If you don't then you might miss some important detail that is needed in the future.

So in this book, Zanna gets captured by polar bears and Lucy has been captured by Gwilanna. The dragon egg that Zanna kindled in the last book had hatched and the dragon Grockle ended up flying out the window.All the d
Briana Hansen
Mar 15, 2013 Briana Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Briana by: my mom
Shelves: fire-star
this book reminds me of things i liked to do when i was younger. like play dragons and have to go on adventers and other stuff. the main chacter of the book remuinds me alot of my grandpa because he loved to go and do things and he loved to help people. the girl charcter made me think of the first book in this serise, because she was so outgoing like the main charcter in the first one. this book also made me think of a book called star because both of the books have the word star in it. the chac ...more
What series is this? 14 39 Nov 23, 2014 03:26PM
Did you Like this Book? 4 10 Jan 08, 2013 02:15PM
  • The River of Wind (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #13)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Shadowgate (Dragons of Deltora, #2)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology Chronicles, #1)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin Saga, #8)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
He was born in Valetta, Malta, but as a child moved first to Leicester and then to Bolton. After gaining a degree in biology from the University of York, he returned to Leicester and got a job at the University of Leicester in their Pre-Clinical Sciences department.
Originally his writing was confined to songs and he didn't turn to fiction until he was 32. His first piece of work was a 250,000 word
More about Chris d'Lacey...

The Last Dragon Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fire Ascending (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #7)

“There is a sign in the heavens
Another light in the darkness
A better time is beginning
There is a fire star coming

I see the mark of the ice bear
In the tears of the dragon
And you'd better start wishing
There is a fire star coming

Stay with me, my love......

....Until the stars have blinked their last
Wherever on this earth you walk
He will arouse, excite, inspire,
My Valentine, my one dark fire.......
60 likes
“He tried. He really did. For a good ninety seconds he molded the clay as best he could. His final effort came out resembling a pear.” 6 likes