Start by marking “The Head and Not The Heart” as Want to Read:
The Head and Not The Heart

The Head and Not The Heart

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Horses have always been Alex’s obsession. Their presence has defined her life: all her choices, from her love-life to her career, have been made with horses as her priority. But the horse business isn’t for the sentimental, and it’s growing harder for her to tamp down her emotions and think about the horses with her head and not her heart.

When their racing stable suffers a
Nook, 1st Edition, 208 pages
Published July 13th 2011 by Natalie Keller Reinert

To ask other readers questions about The Head and Not The Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Head and Not The Heart

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
296th out of 779 books — 472 voters
The Sea Horse Trade by Sasscer HillFull Mortality by Sasscer HillDead Cert by Dick FrancisBorn to Run by Ann  HunterStraight by Dick Francis
Horse Racing Fiction
49th out of 80 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline Benoit
While one can tell that the book was written by "a true horse person" (just a side note from a horse book snob- it's fairly easy to tell when somebody has spent time around horses and when they haven't, and the authentic books unfortunately are few and far between...) so I give Reinert credit for that.

Alex, the main character, was a bit two dimensional and a little bit boring, but the world in which she functions is rich and delightfully horsey. I read this one quickly, and while I was unimpress
Rachel
Not much to the story. Woman bored of her horsey life, goes to New York for a night, wakes up, smells the coffee, returns home rejuvenated.... Not particularly inspiring, not at all offensive, just a bit, well - easy!
Tudor Robins
Natalie Reinert has that rare (and, to me, very valuable) talent of writing day-to-day stories (even if the day-to-day does take place in very interesting settings) that make you want to keep turning the pages.

This, after all, is real life - ups and downs in relationships and work - these are the dramas we gossip about with our friends and families, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be as interesting as any over-the-top action / thriller / cliff-hanger, when written well.

This author writes
Maggie Dana
Feb 08, 2012 Maggie Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all horse lovers
This is one of those books that stays with you, long after you've turned the last page. The images and word pictures the author paints are subtle and provide layers of insight into this compelling story.

The author's well-formed descriptions really caught my attention. I mean, who cannot love the way this house in Florida is portrayed: "This sprawling farmhouse looked like it had been dropped carelessly from a helicopter which had been en route to a more suitable location, like Vermont."

And here
Jennifer Walker
For any serious horse person who reads The Head and Not the Heart, it is clear that author Natalie Keller Reinert has walked the walk. Having worked with horses for a living and slunk back to my computer for a sitting-down-inside job, I had many of the same thoughts Alex did. You love the horses, but the work is exhausting. Horses are big, strong animals, and they hurt you without even trying. Yet, it is very rewarding to work with them, especially if you've loved them your whole life!

I did find
Natalie
Sep 03, 2011 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: horse-books
Natalie gets it 100% right on both the emotions and the details when it comes to horses and horse racing. The story is absolutely perfect. I felt the emotions right along with Alex as she struggled to decide if her life in Ocala, Fla. with horses is what she really should be doing. I've grown up around horses and do believe even those who have not will understand and fall in love with this story. It shows you the real deal the struggles of the world of horse racing. The details are spot on. The ...more
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
Definitely a book for horsepeople and non-horsepeople alike. Horsepeople will like the overall accuracy of this book--we've all known critters like the ones Reinert describes. For non-horsepeople, Reinert clearly and accurately explains horse-specific terminology and techniques without breaking the narrative flow, which is a tough thing to do.

But the heart of this book and its sequel, Other Peoples' Horses lies in the classic professional horseperson's dilemma--do what is right for the horse and
S.J. Matthews
This novella is a glimpse into the life on the racetrack and the emotions that only someone who loves horses could understand. I tend to shy away from first person POV, but it worked in this regard. I think it is probably the best way to tell the story. The protagonist clearly loves her life in Florida, but anyone that has wondered if they are living the life they are supposed to can relate to her struggles. I really enjoyed the read and will definitely check out Other People's Horses.
Bellarush
I really enjoyed the voice, and certainly can relate to the whole overworked horse person thing (though I would take winters in Florida over winters in Ontario! I dream of the winters I spent in Florida when I'm night watching mares in February snowstorms!). Started out with great promise but came up a little short for me. Nice to read a reasonably authentic view of the TB world, though.
Linda
Great debut short novel about a young woman trying to find her place in life. Her passion has always been horses, but it that all there is? With lots of realistic details about training young racehorses from an author who knows her stuff, this story will especially appeal to horse lovers. Ms. Reinert has a great feel for language and words, and I look forward to reading more of her work!
Barb
Not much of a story. Not very believable. Not much real insight into horsemanship. Disappointing. More like a blog or essay about a cathartic experience.
Robin
Solid horse racing book with intimate backstretch details that ring true to a horseman.
G. Fenton
A good read, that succeeds in being both entertaining and informative.
SHERRY CLARK
SHERRY CLARK marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
betty campbell
betty campbell is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Malinda Lawrence
Malinda Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
betty windham
betty windham is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sara Goodale
Sara Goodale is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
IsabelleJ
IsabelleJ marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author of contemporary equestrian fiction and historical romance.

After twenty years of working with countless horses in half-a-dozen disciplines, Natalie Keller Reinert settled down to write about Thoroughbreds. From the short stirrup classes at dusty hunter/jumper shows in Florida to the inner dirt at Aqueduct Racetrack in New York City, it's always been about the Thoroughbreds. Now settled in Br
More about Natalie Keller Reinert...
Ambition Other People's Horses Claiming Christmas (Alex and Alexander) Turning For Home (Alex and Alexander Book 4) Horse-Famous