Start by marking “Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots” as Want to Read:
Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Now that you ve bought that amazing new DSLR, you need a book that goes beyond the camera manual to capture stunning images. For digital photographers interested in black and white, this guide will help beginning- and intermediate-level shooters conquer the fundamentals and take amazing shots.

Pro photographer John Batdorff starts with the basics, including composition, lig
Published July 30th 2011 by Peachpit Press (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black and White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black and White

Eoghann Irving
Dec 30, 2011 Eoghann Irving rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I think it's important to recognize the target audience when reviewing a book of this sort. The title gives you a pretty good clue in this case. The book is clearly aimed at the interested and relatively inexperienced amateur, not the professional.

The reason that is important is that the more experienced amateurs may find parts of this book frustrating. There are long sections on how to print out your photos and the basics of exposure which are great information for people knew the photography,
Cally
Sep 27, 2011 Cally rated it really liked it
A thoroughly interesting and well thought out book, detailing for beginners and amateurs how to get more out of black and white photography. John Batdorff obviously knows his stuff, but is able to convey it in a manner that even the newest to photography will understand. Each chapter is well set out, with plenty of pictures for inspiration and for illustrating a point, and includes several assignments to practice points that you learnt in the chapter.

I did however have a couple of gripes with it
Alan Bevan
Nov 14, 2012 Alan Bevan rated it liked it
One of the better photography books I've read - it is well structured and clearly explained. I liked the fact that it gives an in depth look at Silver Effex Pro because this is software I use. The section on Lightroom I skipped - for the opposite reason.

I wasn't inspired by the examples of black and white photographs in the book - nothing took my breath away - but I wonder if this is because they were limited by the physical dimensions of the book.
Sharon
Aug 07, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
This is a good book for shooting and processing black & white digital images. John goes through the whole process an explains it pretty clearly. This book is fore those using Lightroom and possibly Nik Silver Efex. I don't have the Nik software yet but will use this book as a reference. I have already applied some of the tips he suggests in Lightroom and like the results.
Ron
Mar 08, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
A good companion volume to "Plug In With Nik". also by Batdorff. Naturally, the focus here is on the Silver Effex Pro. In some ways, the reading experience was better. Particularly in regard to the adequate layout of information and software graphics. It was easier to read and make out the screen visuals in regards to the step by step operations of the software via illustrations.
Rohini
May 31, 2014 Rohini rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book did a great job of explaining photography concepts that I'd never even heard of! A step up for the begginer photographer beyond exposure, golden hours and rule of thirds.
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Abdulraouf Alsolami
Abdulraouf Alsolami rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Aaron Graham
Aaron Graham rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Khaled AlMekhyal
Apr 16, 2012 Khaled AlMekhyal rated it it was ok
The book doesn't say anything new
SERGIO ORTEGA
SERGIO ORTEGA rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Brendan Dixon
Brendan Dixon rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Roar Helge
Roar Helge rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2015
Patrycehp
Patrycehp rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
Arun
Arun rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Reba Baskett
Reba Baskett rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Ianh
Ianh rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Peter Cooke
Peter Cooke rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Sam Shingleton
Sam Shingleton rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Tang Chun Cheuh
Tang Chun Cheuh rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Lauri Novak
Lauri Novak rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Brendan
Brendan rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
AJ Vinciquerra
AJ Vinciquerra rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Agramont
Agramont rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Ingrid Williams
Ingrid Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Aidan
Aidan rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Knight Horsuwan
Knight Horsuwan rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016