Start by marking “Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots” as Want to Read:
Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Black and White: From Snapshots to Great Shots

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Now that you’ve bought that amazing new DSLR, you need a book that goes beyond the camera manual to capture stunning images. For digital photographers interested in black and white, this guide will help beginning- and intermediate-level shooters conquer the fundamentals and take amazing shots.

Pro photographer John Batdorff starts with the basics, including composition, li

Published July 20th 2011 by Peachpit Press

To ask other readers questions about Black and White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black and White

Eoghann Irving
I think it's important to recognize the target audience when reviewing a book of this sort. The title gives you a pretty good clue in this case. The book is clearly aimed at the interested and relatively inexperienced amateur, not the professional.

The reason that is important is that the more experienced amateurs may find parts of this book frustrating. There are long sections on how to print out your photos and the basics of exposure which are great information for people knew the photography,
Cally
A thoroughly interesting and well thought out book, detailing for beginners and amateurs how to get more out of black and white photography. John Batdorff obviously knows his stuff, but is able to convey it in a manner that even the newest to photography will understand. Each chapter is well set out, with plenty of pictures for inspiration and for illustrating a point, and includes several assignments to practice points that you learnt in the chapter.

I did however have a couple of gripes with it
Rohini
Jun 04, 2014 Rohini rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This book did a great job of explaining photography concepts that I'd never even heard of! A step up for the begginer photographer beyond exposure, golden hours and rule of thirds.
Alan Bevan
One of the better photography books I've read - it is well structured and clearly explained. I liked the fact that it gives an in depth look at Silver Effex Pro because this is software I use. The section on Lightroom I skipped - for the opposite reason.

I wasn't inspired by the examples of black and white photographs in the book - nothing took my breath away - but I wonder if this is because they were limited by the physical dimensions of the book.
Ron
A good companion volume to "Plug In With Nik". also by Batdorff. Naturally, the focus here is on the Silver Effex Pro. In some ways, the reading experience was better. Particularly in regard to the adequate layout of information and software graphics. It was easier to read and make out the screen visuals in regards to the step by step operations of the software via illustrations.
Sharon
This is a good book for shooting and processing black & white digital images. John goes through the whole process an explains it pretty clearly. This book is fore those using Lightroom and possibly Nik Silver Efex. I don't have the Nik software yet but will use this book as a reference. I have already applied some of the tips he suggests in Lightroom and like the results.
Khaled AlMekhyal
The book doesn't say anything new
William
Good!
Mike Christoferson
Mike Christoferson is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
Rebecca Snead
Rebecca Snead marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Vovo Javovo
Vovo Javovo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Ian Thwaites
Ian Thwaites marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Richard Diaz
Richard Diaz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Diana
Diana is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Rik
Rik marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots Plug in with Nik: A Photographer's Guide to Creating Dynamic Images with Nik Software Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots Nikon D7100: From Snapshots to Great Shots Travel and Street Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots