De verloren dochter

De verloren dochter

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  12 reviews
De Ierse zussen Rebecca, Julie en Lauren reizen met een camper door Nieuw-Zeeland. Ze zijn op weg naar de bruiloft van hun jongste zusje Cathy. Die is vijftien jaar geleden weggelopen van huis en heeft sindsdien niets meer van zich laten horen. Nu, na al die jaren heeft Cathy hen tot hun grote verrassing uitgenodigd voor haar huwelijksfeest en om kennis te maken met haar z...more
Published September 15th 2011 by The House of Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about De verloren dochter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De verloren dochter

Leah
When Carla Kelly marries Robert Gardiner after a whirlwind romance, their happiness is complete when Carla discovers she's pregnant. Tragedy strikes two days after baby Isobel is born, though, when Isobel is snatched without reason. Meanwhile, Susanne and David Dowling are celebrating the birth of their miracle child Joy. However Susanne is hiding a terrible secret and in her bid to keep her secret a secret, she rears Joy in near-isolation. As Carla and Robert begin the search for their daughter...more
Fiona
Great while predictable read. Carla and Robert's baby is stolen at the age of two days. Susanne has repeated miscarriages but ends up with a much wanted baby Joy.
The novel explores the marriages of both couples and how the events of their lives impact the decisions they make and the lives they lead. Heart breaking at times reading at how Carla deals with the loss of her child and continues to believe she is alive, never giving up hope. Susanne meanwhile smothers her daughter with love and preven...more
Bev Spiller
great read would recommend it
Wendy
This book was also my Mum's and I wish she'd had a chance to read it, she would have loved it I think. This is the sort of book I wanted to write notes in the margins of. I added a list of dates and a photocopy of a map for the next reader (probably one of my sisters).
I loved the interaction between the 4 sisters and the location. (New Zealand's South island)
I didn't want to finish it, but I couldn't put it down.
The book covered a lot of topics (grief/self harm/infedelity) in an interesting stor...more
Suzanne
I was completely sure that I would be rating this book highly throughout, but the ending disappointed me, There's not much i can say to explain without spoiling it, but the whole book was leading to something and once it happened I just don't think it was possible for it ever to be good enough, not for me anyway..
This book was brilliant and devastating all in one, losing a 2 day old baby is beyond my understanding of pain. I just feel like the ending wasn't quite right.
Eleanor
I didn't enjoy this book. I found it difficult to empathise with any of the characters, found a lot of the prose self-indulgent and the dialogue unrealistic. 500 pages but could have been condensed into 300 or less, lots of rambling parts that don't add anything to the plot.
Nicola Rogerson
Really enjoyed it. Interesting that you see the story from the side of both mothers - the one who has lost the child and the one who has stolen her. Definitely recommend!
Rachel
Brilliant. Couldn't put it down - My husband asked if he had done something wrong as I wasn't speaking to him!!!
Mary
Dec 11, 2011 Mary added it
i gave up on this one keep putting it down then could not get into it at all
Ebony
eh tooo long winded for my liking
Danalisa
May 19, 2010 Danalisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
an author from Malahide, Dublin!
Nouf omar
great book
Bev Spiller
Bev Spiller marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Gillian Black
Gillian Black marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Lisa Bergin
Lisa Bergin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
noex
noex marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laura Elliot is the author of three novels, Stolen Child and The Prodigal Sister,published by Avon HarperCollins - and Deceptions, an e-book published by JuneConsidine. Her books have been widely translated and she has collaborated on a number of high-profile non-fictions books.
Aka June Considine, she is an author of twelve books for children and young adults. Her children's short stories have bee...more
More about Laura Elliot...
Stolen Child Deceptions 9781857561473