Start by marking “A Scandalous Past” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
A Scandalous Past

Ava Stone

A Scandalous Past (Scandalous #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  27 reviews
At cross purposes

After years of abuse at the hands of her mother, Cordelia Avery knows the only way out is marriage to the perfect man. A man who will allow her all the freedom she has ever craved. And she has the perfect man picked out. The scandalous Marquess of Haversham might not be perfect to anyone else, but taking the man’s black reputation under consideration, Cord
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Night Shift Publishing (first published March 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Scandalous Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scandalous Past

Ki
Wow. I was really surprised by this book! I got an audio version and gosh it was fantastic.

This was filled with lots of action, humor, and many many characters, plus suspense~. I was surprise that there were many or some POVs from the secondary characters but they were great and gave us a different perspective and gave us a view into their heads/thoughts.

So our heroine Cordie is miserable without her closes and best-est friend Olivia (Livvie). Ever since Livvie got married scandalously to the Du
Brandy
Cordelia Avery is looking for a way out of her family situation. Brendan Reese, Earl of Clayworth, is looking for some missing letters. They both find more than they bargained for when those searches bring them together.

This was a terrific find as a Kindle freebie on Amazon. I usually don't pick up freebies that are part of a series I haven't read simply because I hate picking up a book in the middle when I haven't read the preceding books. Even though A Scandalous Past is the fourth in a serie
Kathie (katmom)
This was a charming read...

I do agree with another reviewer that said that there were a LOT of characters in this, more thank likely ones from previous books, and probably ones for future books.

Cordie just wants to be as free as she can possibly be...her mother has made her life pretty horrible...so she decides that if she marries a rake, then she can do as she likes, as he does what he likes.

But that was before she fell in love with Brendan. HE is wonderful...but she's sure that he's going to m
Jocelyn
There were times that I really wanted to strangle Cordie. She claimed to make intelligent decisions but I would think that a lady of that time period would take more precautions with her reputation... although if I had a mother as nasty as hers I would look for an escape too. Brendan was a great character and although he is no doubt a scoundrel. I hope Haversham gets his happy hero ending too. I would definitely pick up another book by the author to see if the other stories in this story are as ...more
Patricia
While the title indicates someone in the book has a scandalous past, it's a little tricky to decide just who it is. ALMOST CERTAINLY, it is not Cordelia, our heroine! Mercy, the girl lives under the thumb of her overbearing mother, who is now overwhelmingly pushing her to marry, but only to stalwart men who will continue to control her. In the meantime, her best friend has married a SCANDALOUS man, and as a result, Cordelia is not allowed to see her, least she be tainted. However, Cordelia needs ...more
Melody May

We are drawing to the conclusion of the Scandalous series. It's always sad to see an end of a series. However, I'm always hopeful that this is not the end. After all, there are a couple of characters from the series I would love see marry and have there own happily ever after. However, this is not the place to mention which ones need there need there own stories. Today we are focusing on A Scandalous Past. You remember how I said that the first and second book go well together. The same can be
Shawna Hansen
Underneath the elegance of a Regency ball hides a lot of darkness. Ava Stone did a great job at opening up the reader and her main character's, Cordelia's, eyes to the darkness behind many seemingly harmless actions. Cordelia is absolutely determined to escape the fate of being snubbed by Society after seeing what happened to her best friend, Olivia, who dumped her socially-acceptable fiance for a less-than-acceptable rake (who happens to be a Duke, which in most regency romances, makes up for h ...more
Kelly
I have to admit that this book hit the spot as far as what I was looking for in a historical romance. We had a woman who desperately wanted her freedom and went about it the only way she knew how, a scoundrel who might not be as reprehensible as he seems, and a proper gentleman who burns for the lovely lady he needs answers from in a decidedly improper manner.

Probably the only thing that bothered me was that Cordelia had been abused for most of her life and her family seemed blissfully unaware o
Melissa
Close to ruin, Cordelia needs to find a husband to help her and her mother out of their financial bind. She needs to do it while hiding the details of her father's death from her husband and society. She chooses an Earl who is trying to keep his own secrets from society. He finds evidence that his mother may have been a spy for the French and unless he can find the letters that prove that and destroy him, he keeps himself from his new bride.
Allison
I'm on a trashy romance marathon right now. I bought a nine book bundle on Amazon of trashy Regency stuff and I'm quickly going through it. This was just what I expected - an easy read, enjoyable, but not very taxing on my brain. I think I'm on this kick right now because I'm also in the middle of a Henry James novel and they are always taxing.
LorettaLynn
This is a very well written story. I enjoyed every min of it and more. It is not like what you would think you would get from a story that sounds like there are rakes and scandals around every corner.
I have never read any of Ava Stones work before and this is the first one of this series I have read not knowing that it was in a series when I started reading it. However, even as a stand a loan story it was good.
I fell in love with the charters they were very well written and the story to. I am a
Kristi
Too long..... the story had potential and I like many elements of this story, but it suffered from "too much."
Sally Hannoush
The fourth book in the series went along great with the rest. It was a very enjoyable love story with some mystery and secrets. I recommend reading these books in order but you don't have to.
DA4Pups
Oct 06, 2014 DA4Pups marked it as own-under-another-title  ·  review of another edition
From the Ballroom and Beyond, A Limited Edition Nine Book Regency Romance Box Set
Katie
I couldn't get past the protagonist in this one. She irritated me to no end.
Jackie
I'm about halfway into this novel and I just can't do it. After the major conflict (that I actually care about) has passed and been resolved, I just don't care enough about these boring characters to continue. As for the heroine's treatment by her mother, which sets it apart from other's in the romance genre and initially drew me in, the story doesn't portray it in a way that seems plausible.
Catherine Rogers
This was a great historical romance. I really enjoyed following Cordelia Avery's life and was rooting for her to marry and get out of the horrible situation of being beat by her own mother. At first I saw Cordelia as somewhat shallow, but once I found out about her home situation I looked at her differently. I will definitely be reading other books by this author.
Dawn ♥ romance
An interesting enough historical romance that started off a bit slow then midway picked up and had a good finish but I never did like the heroine, so many of her actions were rather brainless that the story lost its credibility. Cordelia has her sights set on a certain Marquis but Lord Brendan gets in her way with his own agenda.
Amanda Richardson
3.5 stars, nice Regency romance. I liked the hero and heroine, Brendan and Cordie, I liked the story. Not too much sex. I liked the way the hero flipped out when he found out how Cordie's mother was treating her. I would like to see one side character, Haversham, have a happy ending. I think he deserves a book.
Katie B-K
Generally interesting, and the author did a good job with the motivations of the main characters. Flaws: the fact that the heroine was abused by her mother is awkwardly handled, the mystery is weird at the end, and whether the tertiary characters are good or bad is often hard to tell.
Gabriela Ortiz
I liked the whole series. This book was a bit annoying in certain parts. I did have to skip at times. I liked the story. Loved the main characters. Disliked Cordies mom so much. Loved Cordie's friendship with Livvy and how she stood up to the Duchess.
Marina
This book was just for past-time, quick historic romance without much sex.

Naughty little Lady who wants to grow up and master her own desires.

I read it, i liked it, I will probably forget it.

Vivian Archer
Entertaining read that skirts scandal, dueling loves, pits a rake against a gentleman. Fun romance with a good dose of all the glitz and glamor that makes a regency and Regency.
Elaine
Loved it. Love the whole series so far. I hope we'll see Marcus fall in love in the next book, if there is one.
Jessica
I liked it!! I love these kinds of books.
Mitzi
Free Kindle Book 10/27/11.
Nicole
Nicole added it
Feb 25, 2015
  • Twice a Rake
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Broken Promise (The Brotherhood Series #2)
  • To Desire a Scoundrel (Southern Heat, #2)
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Restoring Hope (Native American Romance #1)
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • More Than A Governess (Wetherby Brides, #2)
  • The Privateer
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Legacy
  • His Not So Sensible Miss (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon a Time #3)
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
Ava Stone is a USA Today bestselling author of Regency historical romance and college age New Adult romance. Whether in the 19th Century or the 21st, her books explore deep themes but with a light touch. A single mother, Ava lives outside Raleigh NC, but she travels extensively, always looking for inspiration for new stories and characters in the various locales she visits.

Feel free to visit her
More about Ava Stone...

Scandalous (4 books)
  • A Scandalous Wife (Scandalous, #1)
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • A Scandalous Pursuit (Scandalous, #3)
A Scandalous Wife (Scandalous, #1) A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2) A Scandalous Pursuit (Scandalous, #3) My Favorite Major A Scandalous Secret