Start by marking “The Fall of Britannia (Roman, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Britannia (Roman, #1)

The Fall of Britannia (Roman #1)

Britannia 43AD.

The last unconquered stronghold of the Celts and a land of gold and slaves. A dangerous place of men without fear, led by mystical Druid warriors, yet still to face the might of Rome in the unrelenting expansion of the Empire.

Four Roman legions have assembled in Gaul undertaking final preparations for the invasion of Britannia. Two young men are posted to
Published by Silverback Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Britannia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Britannia

Michael Wilkinson
Feb 11, 2012 Michael Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Great read. Plot and characters draw you in more please
Ralph Halse
Jul 05, 2012 Ralph Halse rated it it was amazing
Ashman has turned out a decent novel filled with intrigue and political skullduggery expected of the ancient Romans. He blends his historical facts well with his story telling, producing a rich experience of another time. A good read for aficionados of ancient roman tales.
Sep 30, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me a lot of one of my favourite books from childhood - Legions of the Eagle by Henry Treece. Nothing too original here - just an excellent story, well told. A great new author to add to the rota!
Mr. Matt
Dec 10, 2013 Mr. Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hf-roman, 2013
I struggled with how to rate this book. There were many great things about the book. I loved the writing. The story moved along briskly and the action was fast and furious. The problem was that, in the end, while I enjoyed the story, I didn't get *lost* in the tale as a whole. Why? Two reasons:

(1) I felt that the author intervened in the story too many times during the course of the story. I don't mind a bit of intervention. Once is a coincidence, but two or three times? That's too much.

(2) Thr
Ryan Radloff
Feb 28, 2013 Ryan Radloff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't quite the historical page turner I expected. Used accurate Roman references, however the sense of time seemed diluted to progress the story. All around very entertaining, well written historical fiction.
Deb McEwan
Oct 19, 2014 Deb McEwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous fast paced story, enhanced by brilliant, believable characters. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Have started the second book in the series and am really enjoying it.
Jan 03, 2014 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously about the invasion of Britain by Rome. The story-telling was better than that found in the last book I read (The Day Gaul Died, by a different author), however, I still found it too sped up and patchy. Also questioning some of the historical/cultural things added in this story. All in all, it wasn't bad, but wasn't amazing either. Would be interested in reading the next book in the series, but not going to pursue it straight away.
Stephen Kelley
Dec 26, 2013 Stephen Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction. Ancient Rome and Britain are two of my favorites combined in this series.
John Palme
John Palme rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Held my interest. The level of detail was a bit sparse and the book was written such that it could comfortably be understood by middle-school students, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I read a Kindle edition so needless to say the editing was worse than poor, which detracts from the enjoyment somewhat, and there were some anachronisms and logical slips that also annoyed. For example, at one point a Roman soldier goes undercover and tries to pass for a member of a British tribe but he uses his Roma ...more
Jim Potasky
Jim Potasky rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Frank rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
rhyder rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Christina Pyrdol
Christina Pyrdol rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Marc Morris
Marc Morris rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Hans Bech
Dec 27, 2014 Hans Bech rated it it was amazing
Great entertainment

A mix of historical details and breathtaking action make this book great entertainment. Kevin Ashman is currently my favorite fiction author.
Elaine Tatro
Elaine Tatro rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Paul rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Kelley Vance
A complete slog. Disconnected characters, no sense of time passing, events occur either in the space of hours or years but with no clear indication of plot progression.
April Martinez
Sep 19, 2015 April Martinez rated it liked it
Roman-The Fall of Britannia (The Roman Chronicle Book 1) By K.M. Ashman

I like these kind of books, they are what I call "Man Books". In a way reading a chess game. All about war strategy and the actual battles. It is full of blood and Gore and hard training to become the best warrior. The Romans are like no other fighting force and they perfected the style and strategies still used in warfare to this day. Before there were all the war games I imagine these books took men into that world they so
Emma rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Maria Cancel
Maria Cancel rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
claire preece
Feb 11, 2016 claire preece rated it it was amazing
Wales with a K?

Interesting read, haven't read anything pre Boudicca so this was new! P!us the Welsh being introduced - what more can you ask for. May we!l read the next.
Mar 25, 2016 Hari rated it it was amazing
Good except for whores and sex scenes

Yup as I said above it is only God for that ssh :-) cu st chi v chi f see
Simon Curling
Having read the authors Medieval sereis I thought I'd try this series. This is first book looking at the claudian Invasion of Britain from both the british (via a Welsh Deceanglian tribesman) and the roman sides. It is an easy read that keeps you turming the pages. It really shows the contrast between the warrior Britons and the military might of Rome and barbarism of the times. Throw in a conflict with the Druids on Ynys Mon and you get an intriguing story of a an area not normally covered. loo ...more
Mel Fouch
Mary Mainwaring
Mary Mainwaring rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Ann Burn
Ann Burn rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Noel Kelly
Noel Kelly rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • A Song of Sixpence: The Story of Elizabeth of York and Perkin Warbeck
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective, #4)
  • The Half-Hanged Man (The Half-Hanged Man, #1-3)
  • The Watchmen (Britannia, #2)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • The Spear of Crom
  • War at the Edge of the World (Twilight of Empire, #1)
  • Strategos: Rise of the Golden Heart (Strategos, #2)
  • Salvation
  • A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Roma Sub Rosa, #11)
  • The Sky's Dark Labyrinth (The Sky's Dark Labyrinth, #1)
  • Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)
  • Empire Rising (Eskkar Saga, #2)
  • The Tribune
  • Sons of the Wolf
  • A Place of Confinement (A Dido Kent Mystery, #4)
Married for 31 years to the lovely Jan. with four wonderful grown up children.

I took the decision to write full time a few years ago and now make my living as a full time author with eighteen books published so far and another 2 due out in January and July 2017.

Links to my books, poetry and short stories can be found on my website at...
More about K.M. Ashman...

Roman (3 books)
  • The Rise of Caratacus (Roman #2)
  • The Wrath of Boudicca (Roman, #3)