Start by marking “In the Mirror” as Want to Read:
In the Mirror

In the Mirror

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A disillusioned author haunted by the disappearance of his father inherits a mirror and discovers that his own story can have an alternate ending.
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 18th 2011 by Robin Lythgoe (first published July 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Mirror

Feb 24, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
I felt like I got a glimpse into what would be a really exciting and enthralling story, and then had it yanked away. The style of writing is lovely, but this felt like it should have been a first chapter in a much longer story. The real meat of the adventure would have started after he entered the mirror, and we didn't get to see any of it, which was disappointing. I keep hoping I'm going to find a novel written by this author, but so far I'm only seeing short stories.
Lynxie
10 pages. This short story is only 10 pages long.

This is probably the worst thing about the whole story. It provides the reader a tiny morsel of what could be an epic fantasy novel. One that could very easily be a story of immensely exciting adventure and intrigue for all readers.

The language used was simple, yet fitting of the story. And, while we don't get much in the way of characterisation, the story still captured my imagination and thrust it into the realm of the fantastical with ease.

I
Debbie
May 19, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
Short, but sweet. Mirrors are usually unfriendly objects in fantasy, so this story was a nice change from that plot device. I would have liked to read about the world beyond the mirror, but it didn't seem to be the point of the story. This is more about two people taking a risk for a second chance at life. I enjoyed it.
Kirsten
Feb 18, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it
I typically prefer to read novels as opposed to short stories but the cover art (and wonderful reviews) drew me in. This short story took about 5 minutes to read but it was a charming tale with some mystery thrown in. Although short, it was a good read. It's like they say, quality not quantity.
glitrbug
Jan 28, 2012 glitrbug rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I normally avoid short stories because I like a good long read with details and character development. Most of them read like little more than outlines. This is a good, satisfying story about where authors get some of their inspiration and has a bit of a fantasy twist to it. I really enjoyed it.
Kristie Kiessling
Dec 09, 2011 Kristie Kiessling rated it it was amazing
A very good read of magic and hope. I can almost feel the mirror, hear the clacking of the old typewriter. It brings to mind being a child and indulging in flights of imagination. A well crafted tale that could easily be the setting for more stories.
Marla
Aug 21, 2011 Marla rated it really liked it
This was a fast easy read. I really like the idea of this book and I would like to see it go further. It could make a really good novel by going further into the stories that he writes from the mirror. I would like to see more.
Cathy
Feb 11, 2016 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Robin tells a great tale. Gives enough descriptions in her story to awaken and keep the interest of her readers without padding things out. This piece has a wide age appeal. And who doesn't like a little mystery to tease the mind?
Thomas Cardin
May 14, 2013 Thomas Cardin rated it really liked it
A charming, whistful short. My personal preference would be to start the story upon entering the mirror, but that is not the story that is presented. What was presented was good. Heartwarming with a tinge of underlying sadness.
Somyajeet
Apr 23, 2013 Somyajeet rated it it was amazing
Imagine a door to your imagination. Wonderful....
Cheryllynn Dyess
fantastic

This is a great quick read that draws you in and leaves you wanting more! Recommend to all, no doubt.
Tina Pritchard
Apr 11, 2016 Tina Pritchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this free via kindle and it was very good. I just wished it woud've been a full length novel!!! ;o(
Donna
Nov 04, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
This is the greatest little short story. I loved the characters, very well developed story line that just reaches out and grabs you. I wish I had that mirror. Take a few minutes and enjoy a cute tale about a magical mirror. Highly recommended.
Alan D.D.
Jun 09, 2013 Alan D.D. rated it liked it
Podría haber estado mejor. Muy corto, pero con muy buena trama e ideas. El final fue predecible al 100% pero la forma en que se llegó a él fue muy curiosa y original.
Jewel Tyler
Jewel Tyler marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Tom Croson
Tom Croson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
KK
KK rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Phillip Pena
Phillip Pena rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Lelouch
Lelouch rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Blow Pop
Blow Pop marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Lynda
Lynda rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jenn Boeseman
Jenn Boeseman rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Llama Castillo
Llama Castillo marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robin Lythgoe was born in Maryland, but spent several years in Oregon and did a short stint in upstate New York before moving to Utah. She married an artist, and together they have four wonderful children. Reading and writing have always been a part of her life, and she is particularly drawn to fantasy. When she was growing up her mother often led expeditions to the library, from which the entire ...more
More about Robin Lythgoe...