Start by marking “Gardening with Heirloom Seeds: Tried-And-True Flowers, Fruits, and Vegetables for a New Generation” as Want to Read:

Heirloom seeds are more than the promise of next summer's crookneck squash or jewel-colored zinnias. They're living antiques handed down from one generation to the next, a rich inheritance of flavor and beauty from long ago and, often, far away. They are sometimes better adapted to pests and harsh conditions than many modern varieties and often simply smell or taste ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Gardening with Heirloom Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardening with Heirloom Seeds

Judy
Jan 26, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
I knew this was my kind of book when on the very first page the author states, "There's a science to seed keeping, but I'm a laid-back kind of gardener who doesn't stress over it."

This is a cozy, curl up in a chair type of gardening book. The kind you read in the middle of winter (like I did today.) and dream about spring and getting your hands in the dirt. I learned about the things I did last year in preparing my soil. It's a positive book though and I never once felt stupid like I do a lot o
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
This book was unexpectedly delightful to read. I thought it would just be a dull educational guide, but I'm curious about heirloom plants so I picked it up anyway.

It's actually quite interesting, not just telling about growing the plants but telling about the origins and history of certain plant varieties. To me that's fascinating, the people who grew these plants and the stories they carry with them. This book captured that growing certain plants isn't just about taste, sometimes it's about a
David Ward
Jan 12, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
Gardening With Heirloom Seeds: Tried and True Flowers, Fruits, and Vegetables for a New Generation by Lynn Coulter (University of North Carolina Press 2006) (635) is a fun and informative read. It highlights cottage annuals and old fashioned vegetable varieties that have grown out of fashion. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 4/13/12.
Monica Willyard
Jan 03, 2016 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for any gardener who is interested in growing from heirloom seeds, saving seats, and preserving the heritage of our plants. This book covers growing flowers, vegetables, and herbs.
Megan Phelps
Jan 17, 2016 Megan Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
A good book to browse through for ideas on specific varieties to grow. Helpful suggestions for planting, harvesting, and eating, specific to individual heirloom varieties.
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2009
Ruby Sprowls
Ruby Sprowls rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Ginger
Ginger rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Rob Weir
Rob Weir rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Gina Winter
Gina Winter rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Candace
Candace rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Andrea Hughey
Andrea Hughey rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Barbi
Barbi rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2008
Amanda Mathis
Amanda Mathis rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 19, 2014 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hobby gardeners
A useful, well-organized overview, clearly written.
Cynthia Luhrs
Cynthia Luhrs rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
M
M rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
I'm a writer, wife, and the mom of a Georgia Tech grad (Go Jackets!) I have two "fur kids," Miss Paws and Molly.

More about Lynn Coulter...