Start by marking “Burying The Shadow” as Want to Read:
Burying The Shadow

Burying The Shadow

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Rayojini lives an idyllic life amongst the soulscapers of Taparak until she reaches the age at which she will be initiated into their ranks. Her initiation rite, though it follows the traditional pattern of thousands of others, is different in one vital respect. The guardian-pursuers that are invoked to watch over Rayojini's progress are real. In far off Sacramante, the ar ...more
Paperback
Published August 20th 1992 by Feature (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Burying The Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burying The Shadow

Sera69
Aug 15, 2012 Sera69 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storm Constantine here creates a dark and fantastical other world where ancient thoughts and races combine with a humanity that is part 18th century nobility and part druidic lore; where monsters in your dreams are as real as you or i. Pre-dating True Blood, Anne Rice and all the interminable Team Edward style horromances, Constantine sets her story in a wild new fantasy world where blood suckers and lay people live side by side in a mutually beneficial symbiosis.

Here the ancient race are sponso
Nerena Lavine
Jul 13, 2014 Nerena Lavine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favourite books. I love Storm Constantine's brilliant use of descriptive writing, the author's ability to draw the reader into this realm of fantasy means that you can almost smell, see and touch a new, yet familiar world. I stumbled across this book in a thrift shop and had to buy the following books in this series as a result. I have read this book four times and would love to see this as a movie, what a beautifully dark, magical, new and vibrant twist to the Vampire ...more
Unrund
Sep 02, 2010 Unrund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, deutsch, 2010
Dieses Buch ist selbst nach Jahren noch ein Favorit. Das einzige Manko ist das die Gespräche sehr gestelzt wirken und große Teile der Handlung damit mehr oder weniger ins lächerliche gezogen werden, daher ein Stern Abzug.
D
Jan 14, 2014 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites, fantasy
I keep on saying I won't read vampire novels anymore, but I keep on seeing vampire books written by authors I love/authors I'd love to read and I guess promises are made to be broken.

Rhomany
Sep 13, 2009 Rhomany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite of Storm Constantine's books. It's so original and unusual and just when you think you have a handle on what's going to happen next something even more unusual happens.
Saskia Walker
Dec 17, 2009 Saskia Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Storm book, and I was a lifelong fan after reading it! Amazing fantasy worldbuilding, a unique vampire fantasy novel that doesn't once mention the word "vampire".
Ruby Roh
Jun 06, 2007 Ruby Roh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several years ago now, but I remember how intrigued I was by the author's take on the vampire mythos.
Emma T.
Nov 06, 2009 Emma T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, vampires
Des vampires dans un monde tolkienien... une audace réussie. Simplement majestueux.
Lorra Fae
Aug 15, 2013 Lorra Fae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best vampire novel, honestly.
Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read
*note to self.copy from Al.
K.S. Trenten
K.S. Trenten rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
naresh ramdass
naresh ramdass marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Mikko McNeil
Mikko McNeil marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Philip Carper
Philip Carper marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Danielle Hollowell
Danielle Hollowell marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Catriona
Catriona marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
India Casson
India Casson marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Planartrade
Planartrade marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Jonny Sorgasm
Jonny Sorgasm marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Ron Smith
Ron Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Lynette
Lynette rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Dorian Machecourt
Dorian Machecourt rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Lisa Berg
Lisa Berg marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Ingrid Williams
Ingrid Williams rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Nitchevo Squad
Nitchevo Squad rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Psycheinhell
Psycheinhell rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Léa Silhol
Léa Silhol rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Blood And Chrysanthemums (Creed, #2)
  • Darkness, I (Blood Opera Sequence, #3)
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • The Phantom Queen Awakes
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • The Firebird's Vengeance (Isavalta, #3)
  • The World on Blood
  • By the Mountain Bound (The Edda of Burdens, #2)
  • Lilith (Uralte Metropole, #2)
  • Jinn: A Novel
  • Eternal Vigilance (Eternal Vigilance #1)
  • Dragon Soul (Havemercy #3)
  • The Secret Life Of Laszlo, Count Dracula
  • Vampire City
  • The Time of Feasting
  • The Vampire's Angel
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...

“Lift your head to me...’
His is the kiss of a timorous lover. Feel his inhuman lips on the throat, the heat of it. The bite, when it comes, is cold. Begin to sink as the blood flows into his mouth; it is almost soothing. No pain. No pain at all. His teeth grind into the muscles; ecstasy and torment. Life, the very being, is flowing out. Unholy nourishment. Holy nourishment. Drained slowly.
The trauma of it feels like being torn, but it is no more than suddenly having the ability to experience reality in a different way. Waiting for the end... for what? Cannot foretell. No longer flesh, no longer blood. Soul. Free.”
3 likes