Start by marking “Vicious Circle” as Want to Read:
Vicious Circle

Vicious Circle

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea ...more
Published July 3rd 1997 by Fourth Estate (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Vicious Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vicious Circle

Bel Murphy
A novel of its time satirising the shallow, status-obsessed culture of the nineties. One of the most interesting aspects of the book was Craig's afterword, explaining that it was dropped by its original publishers due to potential libel action. A literary critic (and former boyfriend of the author) took exception to one of the characters portrayed by Craig, claiming that it was based on him. An interesting read on the whole.
Rachel
love, love, love this book. have read it several times; keep a few copies on hand to lend around to people. literary london in the 90s; waitress at literary club turns viper reviewer... among several other compelling storylines.

the blurb on my copy reads "like dickens without the boring bits," and that's exactly right. engaging characters, absorbing tale, wry and wise and touching. her other books are wonderful too, and what i particularly like is that some of the characters - or their siblings
Simon Lipson
Not quite sure what to make of this one. To say I enjoyed it would be an overstatement, but I finished it (not always the case lately) and certainly invested in the characters and their stories. The writing is classy, erudite and mostly impressive, albeit the dialogue is occasionally clunky - I couldn't imagine anyone uttering some of the tortured, over-considered, complex sentences Craig puts in her characters' mouths.

Briefly, this follows a loosely related cast of privileged ciphers (with the
Leora Bersohn
Here's what I said on Amazon.com:

A modern-day reworking of George Gissing's New Grub Street, Amanda Craig's A Vicious Circle suffers the same fate as its inspiration: Both novels are far more famous in Britain than in the United States. Since A Vicious Circle is fairly recent (1996) and satirizes a milieu unique to London, one could argue that its place is in the British canon alone. American publishers seem to have drawn this conclusion, as only Craig's more recent work has found an American pu
Jobag
I really enjoyed this. I've read its sequel already and of the two this is the weaker, but it was still extremely well-told and I kept wanting to know the fate of the characters despite very few of them being especially likeable. I enjoy the way Craig weaves the lives of all the characters together and that she doesn't tie up every loose end, on the one hand as a reader I think you want her to, but on the other it adds more plausibility and an edge of sadness that life is tinged with.
Vivienne

When I read on Craig's web site that her recent 'Hearts & Minds' was something of a sequel to this 1996 novel, I sought it out.

It is very much written in the same vein - following a group of Londoners whose lives intersect and in the process presents a snapshot of London at this time. Certainly pre-Cool Britannia and the ascent of New Labour.

There were some hilarious bits about book reviewing as well as far TMI about bodily functions - though necessary in content.
Jayne Charles
I got the feeling this book started as a shopping list of 'issues' (AIDS, motherhood, overcrowded hospitals), with some added snippets of the author's own experience in journalism, all strung loosely together to form a plot. Surprisingly it worked fantastically well. This was a terrific read from start to finish, with some great one-liners (the one about the rectal fissure was a highlight; I won't repeat it here....). I would definitely read more by this author.
Maia
However much I tried to enjoy this book, I just couldn't. The scandalous, fruit, incestuous, back-stabbing literati life in 1960s London should have been a greta storyline, or at least context, for a compelling novel. However, as much as I was drawn to the 'idea' of the story, the narrative itself just annoyed or bored me and it was a struggle to continue till the end. Craig's not a bad writer--she's just not a memorable one.
Matty
Wonderful book about the 90s London literary scene- amazing that it's out of print because of the threat of legal action by a not very well-known london reviewer.
Happyreader
1990s literary London. A fun, scandalous, more concise update of Trollope's The Way We Live Now.
Lyndsey
Enjoyable multi-level story about media and wealth in London, with likeable heroes and predictable villains.
Joan
Struggled to get into this book at first but enjoyed it in the end.
Jessi
Jessi added it
Oct 23, 2014
Antonio Puente
Antonio Puente marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Sep 10, 2014
Jessica Adams
Jessica Adams marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Amanda Craig (born 1959) is a British novelist. Craig studied at Bedales School and Cambridge and works as a journalist. She is married with two children and lives in London.

Craig has so far published a cycle of six novels which deal with contemporary British society, often in a concise acerbic satirical manner. Her approach to writing fiction has been compared to that of Anthony Trollope and Char
More about Amanda Craig...
Hearts and Minds In a Dark Wood: A Novel Love in Idleness Foreign Bodies A Private Place