Start by marking “The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)

The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering Mystery #5)

The Hopwicke Country House Hotel, owned by Jude's glamorous friend Suzy Longthorne, is to host an event for the all-male society, The Pillars of Sussex. On the night, Jude helps Suzy serve dinner, and in the early hours of the morning they watch with relief as the guests drag themselves to their beds.

The next morning, one young solicitor does not come down for breakfast. J
Paperback
Published by Pan Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging in the Hotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging in the Hotel

Spuddie
May 22, 2014 Spuddie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bah. Humbug. I am giving up on this series. Initially I thought that the priggishness of the main character was going to soften up a bit, and while it has waxed and waned, I just find her such an unpleasant person that unless someone removes the stick from her arse, I'm not reading further in the series. The secondary characters are also very much caricatures and stereotypes rather than 'real people.'
Luce Cronin
What a weird experience! The writing was so-so , but the story sort of kept me guessing and reading... And in the very quick denouement, it all comes to an end. The murderer is known as well as all guilty-by-association (in this denouement), but the one accused is one of the lesser accomplices. Everyone else goes along freely with their crummy lives. Maybe it reflects what happens in life but it was , on the whole , a disappointing read.
Phyllis
Oct 21, 2012 Phyllis rated it really liked it

I'm a huge fan of the Feathering Mystery Series by Simon Brett. The nosy neighbors Jude and Carol love playing detective and I love following their antics as they solve crimes that the local police usually don't even recognize as murder. The Hanging in the Hotel is a wonderful addition; highly recommended.
Yeva
Aug 27, 2011 Yeva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more of Mr. Brett's book (that) I read, the more I come to appreciate his humor. My God, the guy is funny. This book had several little asides that had me laughing and saying, "He didn't write that!" Way to go Mr. Brett for creating such pithy dialogue and such memorable characters.
Susan Wallace
Jul 07, 2014 Susan Wallace rated it did not like it
Slow & too wordy!
Gia
May 29, 2015 Gia added it
The Hopwicke Country House Hotel was once a place for the rich and famous to stay. But there hasn’t been much business so hotel owner Suzy Longthorne opens her doors for the Pillars of Sussex. They are an elite group of local businessmen. In this hard time Suzy recruits her friend Jude to help out and brighten up the place. One guest doesn’t come down for breakfast. While on the way Jude thought maybe he was hungover only to arrive and find Nigel Ackford dead hanging from the beam of the ...more
Ginny
Sep 07, 2008 Ginny rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The first I've read in this series. A nice cozy mystery; I enjoyed reading it all the way through. The real virtue in this book is the characters. I found myself more interested in the relationships between the characters, affected by the murder and its aftermath, than in the actual mystery. The solution to the mystery would have been dissatisfying, if I'd cared more about it, but by that point what I was focussed on was the way each character was dealing with the ugly truths being unearthed, so ...more
Gloria Mccracken
Feb 12, 2014 Gloria Mccracken rated it really liked it
This is one of the "Fethering" mysteries by Simon Brett, a British writer who I've read for probably four or five decades. I greatly prefer this series, which features two neighbors and almost-friends, to the ones about the perpetually drunk and irresponsible actor Charles Paris. The best of his books, however, are the ones about Mrs. Pargeter, the widow of a burglar. The book in question involves a death in a hotel owned by an old friend of Judith. Judith seems to be the only one suspicious of ...more
Donna
Jan 02, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
The Hanging in the Hotel , number five in the Fethering series dealt with a number of issues, shady business practices, homosexuality, and organizations covering up for there members.
It starts with an apparent suicide at a hotel Jude is working at to help a friend. Jude does not believe for an instance that the death was a suicide, and she draws Carole into her investigation. Again, the contrast in the two women's personalities make this mystery interesting because even though they have opposing
Anne C.
Aug 17, 2012 Anne C. rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, mystery
I like this series as a light, mostly interesting audiobook (not too gripping, or I won't pay attention to my driving!).

The best thing about this book is though it's written by a man, the female protagonists are very well drawn. Jude and Carole are very believable women.

Strengths: Characters, portrayal of average English folk with some realism. Even friends don't get along all the time. Not every little personal reaction is made tidy and acceptable in the end, but all the factual details were a
Gerry
Jul 06, 2011 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fethering is as much a place one doesn't want to live as is Agatha Raisin's Carsely; murder takes place far too often in them both!

'The Hanging in the Hotel' is no different in that the delightfully named Pillars of Sussex meet at the Hopwicke Country House and have a guest who is supposedly going to be inducted at some point as a member of the prestigious society, prestigious at least to those who belong!

However, before any induction ceremony can take place the newcomer has committed suicide. O
Annette
I am a long time fan of Simon Brett and his Charles Paris and Mrs. Pargeter series. I have only recently started reading the Feathering series and I must say I really like the two main characters Carol and Jude. I liked the story line but this one became, for some reason, a tad bit tedious. I still enjoyed the book immensely and must say he surprised me with the revelation of the killer. I had not even considered that character as a suspect. I look forward to the next adventure of Carol and Jude ...more
Jenny
Dec 25, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. Even though my two major beefs with this particular book in the series are that a) it's a little unbelievable how Jude and Carole are taken so seriously by all the suspects and b) the ending is a little confusing, these books are still amusing and quaint. I get more from the relationship between the two women than any thrill from the mystery. I have the next one all lined up to read next!
Marfita
Oct 29, 2009 Marfita rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
For a change, I didn't yell once at this book. No one was doing anything particularly bone-headed. The confrontation at the end seemed a little contrived, but the results realistic and satisfying, in a non-satisfactory and realistic kind of way.
Brett must really have something against attorneys (not to mention all-male "charitable" organizations). Carole's experiences with her wannabe love-interest grows slimier by the page. Maybe he's just pandering to public tastes.
Jan C
Jun 02, 2014 Jan C rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, sleuth, audio, 2014
I'm still enjoying this series.

Jude chips in part time at her old friend Suzy's hotel. Apparently they had been models together in their younger days. However, the bodies start piling up at the hotel and Jude is the only one voicing doubt as to whether the first one is a suicide. And Suzy wishes she would shut up about it. She doesn't need the bad publicity. Of course, Carol joins Sheila in the hunt.

You kind of know who is the head guilty person but the chase is fun.
Lizzy
May 21, 2012 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, brit-lit
Fun mystery to read. I'm going to have to get the first book in the series. Loved this line...Nor did she linger to scan the walls for their hunting prints, mounted antlers, stuffed trout or ancient photographs of dead-looking tweedy men surveying carpets of dead birds. I also enjoyed the bustling bonhomie going on.

Oct 09, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Enjoy these English mysteries by Simon Brett mostly as the two major players are middle aged, single women. Carole Seddon who is the 'proper' English matron; and Jude the 'alternative' lifestyle protagonist.
Although the cast of characters are numerous, and at times the story becomes convoluted, I didn't see the ending coming as it did. And it all made sense. A plus wouldn't you say?
Clare
Jan 02, 2011 Clare rated it liked it
The relationship between the two main characters is what keeps me devouring this series. I can see a little of myself in both women and because of that it makes it easy for me to see things from both points of view and understand many of their reactions and feelings.
David Malmberg
Apr 14, 2016 David Malmberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fethering Mysteries are almost as good as Simon Brett's Charles Paris Mysteries

I have never read a Simon Brett mystery that I didn't find very enjoyable. Brett is a superb comic plotter.
Kim
Mar 12, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I started reading this series years ago. I may not remember the plot, but I recall the series having likeable characters if little mystery. I enjoyed the titles well enough that I read the new releases.
Feb 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I continue to read these hoping that they will get more realistic and interesting but so far that isn't the case. The characters have such potential to really draw you in and yet I'm always left feeling like they are not intrinsic to the plot.
Kathy
Nov 14, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: listened
Not the best in this charming series, but good. Nothing very new with the main characters, so it feels a bit stalled and formulaic. But a plethora of suspects, a kind of in-and-out-of-opening-and-closing-doors quality to the plot, and a generous handful of laugh out loud lines.
Alice
Nov 06, 2012 Alice added it
I didn't think this was one of his best - perhaps it was the subject material (ie: hanging), but the story seemed to be very slow at the start, and it was harder for me to read than other books of his.
Kim
Nov 10, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Grey853
Nov 05, 2007 Grey853 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
This should've been a homerun for me. I love manor mysteries, but I didn't like the characters or the repetitive nature of the narrative.
Ruth
Sep 12, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
ok. first simon bret I've read. Jude and Carole Seddon investigate an elitist, hard-drinking group of businessmen after the suspicious suicide of the one of their inductees.
Judy
Aug 26, 2010 Judy rated it it was ok
The Hopwicke Country House Hotelm owned by former model Suzy Longthorne, becomes the scene of two mysterious deaths. Were they accidents, suicides, or murder. I found that I didn't care.
Gina
Oct 07, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another great mystery in a series that takes place in present day England, but that has touches of Agatha Christie. The author has an irreverent take on many of his characters.
Guera25
Aug 17, 2015 Guera25 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Mr. Brett's better efforts. Tedious and needlessly convoluted, and while always a fusty prig, Carole Seddon was nigh insufferable in this installment.
Jan
Feb 28, 2016 Jan rated it it was ok
S-L-O-W. Really a waste of my time. The only positive was the possibility of an improved relationship between Carole and her son Stephen and his bride-to-be.
  • Miss Dimple Suspects (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #3)
  • Biggie and the Poisoned Politician (Biggie Weatherford, #1)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)
  • Grievous Angel
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Funeral Music
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Old Enemies
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • The Complete Miss Marple Collection (Miss Marple Mysteries)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Monash: The Outsider Who Won a War
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)