Start by marking “In a Dark Wood: The Fight Over Forests & the Myths of Nature” as Want to Read:
In a Dark Wood: The Fight Over Forests & the Myths of Nature

In a Dark Wood: The Fight Over Forests & the Myths of Nature

In a Dark Wood presents a history of debates among ecologists over what constitutes good forestry, and a critique of the ecological reasoning behind contemporary strategies of preservation, including the Endangered Species Act. Chase argues that these strategies, in many instances adopted for political, rather than scientific reasons, fail to promote biological diversity a ...more
Published May 11th 2001 by Transaction Publishers (first published September 27th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about In a Dark Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Dark Wood

James
Apr 14, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study-group
"Ideas have consequences." - Richard M. Weaver
With his book, In a Dark Wood, Alston Chase has written a story about the ecological struggle over the forests, but in doing so he has also developed the history of an idea. The idea is really many ideas, incorporating questions about the definition of nature, the science of ecology and the question of eco-systems -- just what are they and what should we do about them.

"It is a tale without heroes or villains, in which the bad guy isn't a person at a
John
Jun 02, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If you "think" you know all about the origins of the environmentalist movement, then think again (unless you are a Phd in the subject or something like that!) This book is an excellent way to bring yourself up to speed on the history of the environmental movement in the United States. Alston Chase has his opinions but he does a pretty good job of holding them in check until the very end. By that time (it's a long book) you will have already had time to develop your own opinion and you can either ...more
Peter
Jul 01, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it
Presents a background on the Environmental movement. Focuses specifically on Redwoods, spotted owls and Earth First! because that is where a lot of the action was. Very readable. I don't agree with the author about everything, but on a few points I find him very convincing.

1. There is no natural state to get back to. Humans have been altering the environment in major ways (by deliberately cause forest fires among other reasons) as far back as we can tell.

2. Any decision on protecting the enviro
Latham
May 11, 2012 Latham rated it liked it
This book takes a hard look at the evolution of our perceptions of nature & the environmental movement. From John Muir to Earthfirst, from loggers to politics, this book touches on it all. The author clearly did his homework & much of it chronicles the events of scientists, as well as government. Most importantly, the book highlights much of the science (and sometimes lack therof) which informs the conventional thinking today. It certainly got me thinking about the "myth" that nature is ...more
Daphne
May 01, 2009 Daphne marked it as to-read
Alston Chase is coming to be a Libra Speaker at UMM either in March or April, 2009. I am going to read his book before he comes so I have more to talk to him about, once he gets here. Yay! Jon Reisman has lent me the book.
Feb 06, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a good read and a great education all in one. I read this book in college and met the author...that was a treat. I plan to read this one again soon.
Charles Bell
Apr 24, 2010 Charles Bell rated it it was amazing
Excellent review of the history of the radical green movement. One of the most informative books on the subject I have ever read.
Evan
Nov 16, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it
Vary well documented. Shows how "science" can be twisted to fit an agenda.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Anonymous
Anonymous marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Bill Jordan
Bill Jordan is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2016
Eli Weinstein
Eli Weinstein marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tahiti
Tahiti marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Loizos
Loizos marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Ginnette
Ginnette marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Morag Smith
Morag Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Bart Christensen
Bart Christensen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jan 17, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Briar Graovac
Briar Graovac marked it as to-read
Ryan Congdon
Ryan Congdon rated it really liked it
Ryan Congdon
Ryan Congdon rated it really liked it
Laurette
Laurette marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Seanna
Seanna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Felixworks
Felixworks marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Akrabar
Akrabar marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015