Start by marking “Bollywood Confidential” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Bollywood Confidential

Sonia Singh

Bollywood Confidential

After seven years of slogging through film roles too embarrassing to mention, twenty-eight-year-old struggling L.A. actress Raveena Rai has finally been offered a lead! A potentially career-making turn in a major Hollywood epic, perhaps? A meaty part in a serious drama with Oscar® written all over it? Not! To Raveena's great dismay (and her mother's delight) she's flying o

Published 2007 (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bollywood Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bollywood Confidential

Sandra Lopez
The next book I finished was Bollywood Confidential by Sonia Singh.

Raveena is an Indian actress trying to make it in Hollywood films, but she's never gotten her break (except for the Japanese tampon commercial.)

Then she receives the news from her agent--a director wants to give her a starring role in his upcoming movie.....in Bollywood (India.) Not exactly Blockbuster material. But, hey, you have to take what you can get.

Almost everyone in her life tries to talk Raveen out of this by telling he
Bettina Lippenberger
Flache Handlung!

Raveena Rai ist Schauspielerin. Bisher allerdings zu ihrem Leidwesen als Statistin, mit wenig oder gar keinem Text. Ein Angebot aus Indien soll das ändern. Sie soll die Hauptrolle spielen in einem Bollywood Film. Es gibt nur ein Problem, Raveena hasst Bollywood!
Trotzdem reist sie nach Bombay und landet, nach einigen Stunden des Wartens, der versprochene Wagen kommt nicht, in einem drittklassigen Hotel. Ihr einziges Glück ist Onkel Heeru lebt auch in Bombay. Schon am nächsten Tag
Marfita
Apr 22, 2013 Marfita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-novel
I like Indian food. I've seen the Indian music videos culled from their movies. I thought this might be interesting and a bit different. Well, it's sort of a Comic Romance. But, fortunately for me, there was enough description about India and the business side of Bollywood for me to ignore the romance bit.
American-born Raveena's career in Hollywood isn't going well. There isn't much call there for Asians so when she's offered a starring role in a Bollywood film, she's convinced by her friends s
Rebecca
Mar 30, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
A promising chick-lit novel whose heroine appears (at first) to push the chick lit heroine stereotypes: Raveena Rai is Indian-American, single, a struggling actress, and ambivalent about her ethnic and cultural identities. She travels to Bombay/Mumbai to play the leading role in a Bollywood film. Sonia Singh writes some potentially meaningful scenes and themes, such as Raveena and (the romantic love interest and Bollywood star) Siddarth's conversation about the role of the Bollywood film industr ...more
Keksisbaby
Apr 16, 2012 Keksisbaby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Raveena tingelt von einer Statistenrolle zur nächsten in der Hoffnung auf den großen Durchbruch in Hollywood. Sie ist das Kind indischer Einwanderer. Diesem Umstand und einem japanischen Werbespot für Tampons verdankt sie einem Engagement für einen Bollywoodfilm. Völlig naiv nimmt sie die Rolle an und macht sich auf das indische Kino zu erobern. Nur gestaltet sich das nicht ganz so einfach wie gedacht, wenn der Poduzent ein selbstherrlicher, schmieriger Weiberheld ist und der Co-Star ein Halbgot ...more
Jessica
The time is right for some trashy, fluffy desi chick lit. (mostly to give my poor brain a rest after work-related stress) This book is about Raveena, an American-born Indian actress who is struggling to make it in Hollywood. She gets her "big break" when she is offered a leading role in a Bollywood film-- a genre of which she is not at all a fan of.

"Bollywood Confidential" was a very quick read. It clocks in at just over 200 pages and is made up of lots of short chapters. There were some funny b
Margaret
This book was really enjoyable - kind of a culture-shocked chick lit story! Raveena was a very down to earth modern young woman who maybe didn't always make the best choices but luckily everything turned out well in the end. I could picture crazy Uncle Heeru feeding the birds. Raveena's friends at home and her family helped round her out as a real character. I also liked that Siddharth, although a drop dead hunk, wasn't perfect. This book was a very fun read and better than I thought it might be ...more
Rebekah
Feb 01, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terribly written, and the final chapter is basically an outline for what the last several chapters should have been, but still an acceptable nighttime read for when you have already turned your brain off. The author's note at the end has a list of her 10 favorite Bollywood movies, but does not include Dil Se (aka DANCING ON TOP OF A SLOWLY MOVING TRAIN), so I question the validity of the list. Also, I have weird feelings about a white girl being so culture-adoptive, but maybe she married into it ...more
Amanda
Jan 22, 2008 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh god, I don't remember her first novel being so bad! I hate that I spent a day reading this, but am comforted by the fact that I only paid a penny for it. Poor punctuation/sentence structure makes for very choppy reading. Add to that the childish writing and oh-so-predictable plot (with an ending that is so sweet and perfect you can only get away with it in a Bollywood film - and while most people realize that books often do not translate well to film, the same is true for the reverse!) made i ...more
Beverly
This book was my first foray into chick lit and it is the reason why I don't underestimate the genre. I picked up a review copy sent to the newspaper where I worked at the time and read the book in a weekend. Sure it's a fairy tale but it's a very charming one. Plus tackling the experience of an American-born Indian woman in India in a way that is both humorous and intelligent while staying within the parameters of the genre is a beautiful feat. I went on to read the one about the psychic next.
Ajoque
Aug 01, 2007 Ajoque rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit, 2009
Infectiously cute. A really fun and very quick read. A Bollywood flavored chick-lit.

The guiltiest most pleasing thing about the novel is the way the author pokes fun at the Bollywood film industry. And while I love and enjoy Bollywood films, I loved her truthfully addressing some of the issues I have with the industry myself.

Her writing is elementary, different to say the least, and the novel read like listening to a girlfriend recount her adventures in India. Charming.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Despite what my reviews may indicate to the contrary, I enjoy a fun little formulaic read every once in a while, if it feels like the author is putting in some effort. Here, the writing was good and some of the characters were interesting. However, the story had no time to develop before it was rushed to resolution. So the love story was unconvincing and everything seemed to wrap up much too neatly by the end.
Beth
Nov 27, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funnylight, fluff
Not bad for fluff. I think the author did a fine job of presenting some of the cultural complexities and social contradictions in contemporary India, at least as far as I can tell as an outsider. I appreciated that she was careful about avoiding simplistic portrayals while still writing essentially a comic romance.
Kathy Chung
this book is like an asian chit-lit. not bad. quite entertaining.

suggest the hero to be a more vocal type instead of silent. he seems like a Prawn as compared to the heroine. he follow blindly whatever his agent and family says. apart fro. his good looks, i cant think of anything that would attract the heroine to like him. if comes to marriage. ..most likely end up divorce.
Megha Mathur
Raveena Rai hasn't found a single good role in hollywood. But in Bollywood...she can get a lead role. So she travels to india...where she has to dance more than act and make her way through gossip and her co-star...who ignores her off set.

Cute book for a beach read but you would understand it more if you watch bollywood or even tollywood films...
Jamie
Oct 31, 2007 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Fluff" would be the best way for me to describe this book. Ghost, Interrupted was so much better. They are totally different stories though but this one seemed to play out like, dare I say it, a Bollywood movie.
Hilly
2.5 stars.

Adorable, preposterous of a American-born, Southern California-raised, South Asian Indian starlet (of Sikh / Hindu parentage) who references all the familiar Bollywood stars and movies. It was a cute bit of fluff. No depth, but lively. Quick read.
Jenee Rager
May 23, 2013 Jenee Rager rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just plain bad. The characters aren't developed, the plot is silly, and rushed, the dialogue is off. I didn't pick it up expecting it to be the next modern classic, but I also wasn't expecting it to be this pointless, and lame.
April
Dec 17, 2007 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this novel nearly as much as I enjoyed Singh's "Goddess for Hire." That book was funny and kept me reading. This one, not so much. Also felt like everything was wrapped up way too fast at the end.
Leslie
Aug 27, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I liked it for what it was--entertaining chick lit set in India. Indian movies are huge, and the author definitely knew the details on that scene, and she included her top ten favorite Bollywood movies at the end.
Sejal jain
I thought this book was laugh out loud funny. It is not by any means an "intelligent" deep read. It's a good book to pick up when you don't want to think about the "meaning" behind the writing. A nice break between some dense reading.
suzy
Aug 27, 2007 suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: desichicklit lovers
Masti read! Great fun read! The author has a nice sense of humor. I especially loved her Bollywood movie recommendations at the end of the book, which are excellent. I've seen 5 of the 10 movies and must now see the 5 I missed.
Megan
I was recently in India and really got a kick out of Bollywood. Not sure I would have enjoyed the book had I not been familiar with Bollywood films. The ending of the book seemed rather rushed.
Maria
Jan 28, 2015 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible.
Jen
Mar 07, 2008 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, I really did, but after multiple starts and stops, I just couldn't finish it and I gave up.
Uma
Jul 14, 2008 Uma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: desi-authors
Funny, great for time pass.
Haley
Jan 07, 2009 Haley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
pretty cheesy and predictable.
Edward ott
Very disappointing .
Charlie Hersh
Sep 04, 2013 Charlie Hersh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was looking for something silly requiring absolutely no thought and this book sure delivered. Terrible and quite fun.
Santhi
Nov 27, 2014 Santhi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last part of the book listing author's top 10 Bollywood titles earned the extra star
only saving grace was the short chapters
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • No Deadline for Love
  • Bodies in Motion: Stories
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
Sonia Singh is a first generation Indo-American, born and raised in Orange County, CA. Unlike Maya, the heroine of her debut novel, Godess for Hire, Sonia loves India and travels there once a year.
More about Sonia Singh...