Start by marking “Sometimes They Even Shook Your Hand: Portraits of Champions Who Walked Among Us” as Want to Read:
Sometimes They Even Shook Your Hand: Portraits of Champions Who Walked Among Us

Sometimes They Even Shook Your Hand: Portraits of Champions Who Walked Among Us

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
John Schulian, a much-honored sportswriter for nearly forty years, takes us back to a time when our greatest athletes stood before us as human beings, not remote gods. In this compelling collection, Schulian paints prose portraits to remind fans of what today’s cloistered stars won’t share with them.
Here, Willie Mays remembers how to smile in dreaded retirement; Muhammad A
Published October 1st 2011 by Bison Books

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes They Even Shook Your Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes They Even Shook Your Hand

Becky
I enjoyed this book for the overview of famous and unique sports personalities. It's an interesting peek into earlier decades. Some of the athletes, coaches and managers were names of which I’ve heard – many I had not. The articles often comment on the personality and biography of the person more than their athletic, or management, accomplishments.

This compilation of articles felt like taking a step into the past when the daily newspaper was a highlight of the day. I wonder if fans enjoyed readi
Jim Blessing
This book was mildly amusing, but was outdated, since most of the stories were written in the last 1970's and early 1980's. My favorite was about Oscar Charleston, the Negro League Hall-of-Famer baseball player, who is buried in Indianapolis.
Mario
Collections of a sportswriter who worked in a in a time where boxing, baseball and horseracing (in that order) were kings.
Chris Conrey
Chris Conrey marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jessica Ceballos
Jessica Ceballos is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2014
Paula
Paula added it
May 09, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2012
Football: Great Writing About the National Sport Twilight of the Long-Ball Gods: Dispatches from the Disappearing Heart of Baseball Writers' Fighters and Other Sweet Scientists At the Fights: American Writers on Boxing The John Lardner Reader: A Press Box Legend's Classic Sportswriting