Start by marking “Cromwell's Blessing (Tom Neave, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cromwell's Blessing (Tom Neave, #2)

Cromwell's Blessing (Tom Neave Trilogy #2)

1647. The King has surrendered to Parliament. Lord Stonehouse, to show his loyalty to Parliament, has named Tom as his successor. But Lord Stonehouse′s son, Richard, is also Tom′s estranged father and a fervent Royalist. If the King reaches a settlement with Parliament, Richard will inherit ...

Parliament itself is deeply divided with those demanding a strict Puritan regime
Published March 29th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cromwell's Blessing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cromwell's Blessing

Kevin G
Feb 06, 2016 Kevin G rated it liked it
As I found with Plague Child, this book left me wondering do I like or even care about Tom? A lot has changed but he is still not the master of his own life, drifting from one event to the other, manipulated by forces such as his wife, who herself is being manipulated by another mysterious bit player in the book, and she is one of many acting on Tom the entire time.

What does not help, is at times... especially toward the end, the book accelerates at warp speed through periods of time, which left
Linda Humberstone
Sep 23, 2013 Linda Humberstone rated it liked it
Shelves: just-read
I think this book is more gripping than Plague Child now that Tom Neave knows his true identity and gives quite a vivid description of what the Civil War must have been like for those living through it. It was a constant worry whether you were on the right side or not and whether the side you did support was right in its beliefs and actions. This book illustrates for me particularly how the bigotry of the religious factions complicated things beyond belief and were responsible for much of the ...more
Veronica
Feb 08, 2014 Veronica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I didn't like this as much as volume 1 -- three stars instead of four. Ransley knows his period well and includes lots of plausible detail. But the whole thing is rather too gung-ho, with too many confusing twists and turns. Plus there are too many characters who are not well enough drawn, so I started to lose track of who was who. It was a real shame that he didn't end this volume with the attempt on the king, because the last chapter was a rushed summary of several years' events, that would ...more
Margaret Jones
Feb 12, 2015 Margaret Jones rated it really liked it
The story picks up where Plague Child left off. Tom is leading his, somewhat confusing, double life as Tom Neave and Thomas Stonehouse. Whilst this was a good plot line I found it difficult to keep up with it.
I was, however fascinated with the historical plot to dethrone King Charles and the intricacies surrounding it.
Guy
Jun 12, 2012 Guy rated it liked it
I have an interest in the period and I thought the level of detail and feel to be very good. How ever, by the end I was growing weary of the tale of the hero jumping from common man to young lord and back on a frequent basis, and the implausible force fitting of him into signing Charles I death warrant.
Lisa Vlieg
Apr 18, 2013 Lisa Vlieg rated it liked it
I like the story, but found myself disliking the main character that was the reason I decided to read the second in the triology. Though I'll probably still read the third to find out how it all ends.
Sandie
Jul 04, 2012 Sandie rated it it was ok
While I love historical fisction I just did not like this book. I found it too confusing and at points, well, pointless. Unfortunately I did not care for the style of writing either. too bad.
Claire Davies
Claire Davies rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Annie Smith
Annie Smith rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Bluesy
Bluesy rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Line
Line rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Graham Cook
Graham Cook rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Nicki
Nicki rated it it was ok
May 06, 2015
Ged
Ged rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Karen Brightwell
Mar 31, 2013 Karen Brightwell rated it did not like it
Only got 1/4 of the way through...was hard to follow and no where near as good as the first book.
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Kasia
Kasia rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Hilary Lumley
Hilary Lumley rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Magda
Magda rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Mo Griffiths
Mo Griffiths rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Gary Dunlop
Gary Dunlop rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Marg
Marg rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Victoria  Jane
Victoria Jane rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2013
Richard Paul Tuke
Richard Paul Tuke rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Em
Em rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Trev Norman
Trev Norman rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Ann Day
Ann Day rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 09:07AM
Peter Ransley has written extensively for television. His BBC adaptation of Sarah Waters's 'Fingersmith' was nominated for a BAFTA for best series in 2006 and his ITV drama 'Falling Angel', starring Emilia Fox and Charles Dance, was screened in 2007. He is a winner of the Royal Television Society's Writer's Award.
More about Peter Ransley...

Tom Neave Trilogy (3 books)
  • Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1)
  • The King's List (Tom Neave, #3)