Start by marking “Buffalo Jump” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Buffalo Jump

Howard Shrier

Buffalo Jump (Jonah Geller #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Toronto investigator Jonah Geller is at a low point in his life. A careless mistake on his last case left him with a bullet in his arm, a busted relationship and a spot in his boss's doghouse. Then he comes home to find notorious contract killer Dante Ryan in his apartment — not to kill him for butting into mob business, as Jonah fears, but to plead for Jonah's help.

Ryan h
Published February 12th 2010 by Vintage Canada (first published February 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Jump

Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jonah Geller, PI
SETTING: Toronto and Buffalo
SERIES: #1
RATING: 3.5
WHY: Jonah Geller is an investigator for a firm in Toronto. He is approached at home by a contract killer named Dante Ryan, who wants his help. Ryan has a contract to kill an entire family but doesn't have the stomach to kill a young boy. In fact, he wants to get out of the game entirely to be with his own family. He asks Geller to find out who ordered the hit. There's a connection to pharmaceutical smuggling to the US
Kendra
Howard Shrier jumps into the hard-boiled detective mystery scene with a well-plotted story featuring PI Jonah Geller, who likes to strike out on his own to solve crimes and isn't afraid of rustling the feathers of a few gangsters along the way. Jonah is a likeable and believable character who has a rich background (his Jewish heritage and experiences in the Israeli army) but has hit a few bumps in life, particularly a recent breakup and an on-the-job accident. Jonah is certainly a man's man and ...more
Toni Osborne
This book won the Arthur Ellis Award for excellence in crime fiction for best first novel in 2008 and is at the top of my list for being one of the best and original “private eye” mysteries I have read in a long time. Once past the few first chapters which were full of unnecessary explanatory baggage the pages roared on with plot twists and exciting suspense with lots of intrigue. The storyline has an interesting mix of noir, politics and humour. To add depth and richness to the narration the au ...more
Philip
I really enjoyed reading Buffalo Jump. I like Jonah and I thought this book had a little different story line than most of the current mystery novels and it moved along quite quickly. It took me some time before I figured out what was happening in Buffalo and how it tied into Toronto but eventually it all fell into place. The Toronto setting is fabulous. Howard Shrier makes the city a character in the story every bit as well as Robert Rotenberg does in his Ari Greene series. I particularly like ...more
Kristen
The best words I can come up with to describe this story are: raw, gritty and intense. While it isn't a great fit for my interests in books, if you like a more aggressive style of murder/suspense story, it may be right for you. If you think you'd like Sam Spade written with a 2000's permissibility of language and plot, this could be your book.

Jonah Geller is a private investigator in Toronto who can't seem to stay out of trouble. He's barely recovered from a gunshot wound in the course of his pr
Brian Leclair
I accidentally stumbled across this book in the library... and I'm very glad that I did! Howard Shrier has created an eccentric and engaging lead character in Toronto investigator Jonah Geller, and we follow Jonah on a very intriguing cross-border shopping story. I can't wait to read the next adventure!
Tobin Elliott
This was a solid debut of the Jonah Geller series. For some damn reason, I'm reading them all out of order, starting with the third one, Boston Cream>, then this, the first. Which means I'll read the second, then fourth, then all will be right with the world.

Anyway, I found the writing to be solid, assured, excellent dialogue and pacing and the story grew very nicely throughout the novel. Shrier's handling of Geller with Detective Sergeant Katherine Hollinger, and with Dante Ryan just sparkle
Hella Comat
Not only written by a Canadian author, but set in Toronto and a bit in Buffalo, this is a crime mystery centred around a main character who works as an investigator. The plot involves lots of action, a contract killer, smuggling prescription drugs over the border, and underworld factions competing for power. Lots of fun, and well written. This is a first novel, and I agree with Linwood Barclay who wrote that he's looking forward to Howard Shrier's next book.
Rodger Campbell
This was the first Howard Shrier Novel that I read and I quickly followed it with the next three about investigator Howard Geller a Toronto PI. I love the conceit of the Agency's name... World Repairs. I love that he hooks up with a criminal (in the Elvis Costello - Joe Pike mould). The story rattles along nicely. The descriptions of Toronto and Chicago are spot on and really set the scene beautifully. This is a "Goodread".
Stacy
After languishing on my shelf for over five years, I finally picked up this book and am glad I did so. The first novel in the Jonah Geller series, this was a modern day hard-boiled PI sort of novel. Set in Toronto it delves into the pharmaceutical world and the mob. It started off a bit uneven, but once the author was able to establish the characters and eventually get to revealing their back stories it picked up.
Peggy
I would probably rather give this book 3.5 stars. It's a good story, a page-turner even, topical subject (especially 2-3 years ago - sales of Canadian prescription drugs to Americans), a Toronto setting with lots of place names and a likeable protagonist. But it is a story about the mob with a fair amount of violence and dead bodies. But there is humour too. First in a new series.
Jac Revival
What a great read - not only does Howard Shrier lather in plenty of action he does so with a generous dollop of splendid humour. Stir in some locations and references that many Canadians should be familiar with and - voila - a novel you'll find difficult to put down. (Which was exactly my problem - ended up with a wee shortage of sleep.)

And now - on to source Shrier's other work!
Teena in Toronto
I'd read Shrier's second Jonah book and liked it so I wanted to go back and read the first one.

I enjoyed this book ... I like mysteries and there aren't a lot that are based in Canada or Toronto.

I found, though, that there were a lot of characters and it was hard to keep everyone straight.

I like Jonah and I hope Shier continues with the series.
Brenda Chapman
The writing is tight with witty dialogue and a fast-paced plot. The Toronto setting is nicely captured as is Jonah Geller's Jewish heritage. The premise of a PI working with a hit man to save a family is original, the characters are layered and skillfully portrayed, and the suspense builds throughout. A well written page-turner.
Walter
I've been searching for excellent Canadian crime fiction and have often been more disappointed than pleased. HS is the best I've read. His descriptions of Toronto are accurate and yet compelling. There need to be more Canadian writers working like this.
Lioness
A well written suspense novel - not my usual type of book but I know both locations - Buffalo and Toronto and that was enough to get me to try it. The writing and the plot and characters were enough to keep me going.
Dianne Landry
I really like the descriptions of Toronto. This was an enjoyable book and I will definitely read his nexgt books. I really like Jonah Geller's character and I love his Jewish mother.
Djdee
Good read.Interesting approach.Kept my interest!Nice to read canadian authors and books set in familar cities!
Brandon Nagel
Excellent story and characters. Looking forward to picking up the next book in the series.
Jill Edmondson
Just terrific! Great plot, fast-paced, and I really like Jonah Geller! Next up: High Chicago.
Ann-marie Michocki
This was a good book with a very interesting plot. The characters were well developed.
Amie
Awesome book, with part of it set in Toronto, so it is great to 'see' more of the city!
Marla
This was a wonderful Canadian book. Mobs, drugs and so much more. Great book
Jude Grebeldinger
Good read, note to search for more by this author.
Bill Bell
Would make a good television mini-series.
R.
R. added it
Nov 23, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jodi
Jodi added it
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Award-winning author Howard Shrier was born and raised in Montreal, where he earned an Honours Degree in Journalism and Creative Writing at Concordia University. Since then he has worked in a wide variety of media, including print, magazine and radio journalism, theatre and television, sketch comedy and improv. He has also been a senior communications advisor to government agencies. He now lives i ...more
More about Howard Shrier...
Boston Cream (Jonah Geller #3) High Chicago (Jonah Geller #2) Miss Montreal (Jonah Geller #4) Lostport Jonah Geller Mysteries 3-Book Bundle: High Chicago, Buffalo Jump, Boston Cream