Start by marking “Loramendi's Story (Lords of Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Loramendi's Story (Lords of Shifters, #1)

Loramendi's Story (Lords of Shifters #1)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  412 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Lords of Shifters:
Spider Wars #1
Loramendi's Story #2
Dark Horse #3
Blood Pyre #4 (coming soon)

Lora wants nothing more than to be the wind behind sexy windsurfer Chance's sails. But fulfilling that wish just became...complicated. After seventeen years of normal life, someone wants Lora and her family dead. And the attempted massacre isn't nearly as strange as the reason behin
Published August 2nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about Loramendi's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loramendi's Story

Erin Danzer
Aug 30, 2011 Erin Danzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read in the Acknowledgments of this book that one of the critique partners compared Chance Miller to Edward Cullen, saying Chance will give Edward some solid competition. I couldn't agree more.

I love when I read the right book at the right time. Loramendi's Story was that book for me. I was looking for something YA with princesses and castles and romance. Angela Carlie delivered - and so much more. Loramendi's Story was very well written, an exciting tale that kept me on the edge of my seat th
Kim
Aug 01, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loramendi's Story is the latest word treat from Angela Carlie, and the first in the new Lord of Shifters series. The wonderful characters combined with an intriguing plot made for a story that pulled you into it and wouldn't let you go until the very last page! I loved the fairytale elements that were woven throughout the story, a refreshing twist on the paranormal genre. The story was full of twists and turns that never went where I thought it was going, a wonderful thing since I love the unexp ...more
Jamie
This is one of those books that takes you by surprise. The story starts off with Lora who lives in a small town in Washington where nothing much happens. Lora spends her days watching windsurfers at the beach, hiking with her friends Jess and Johnnie and waitrsesing on the weekends. After her mom disappeared when she was younger her mom's best friend Aubrey takes her in to live with her.

The beginning has some crazy, funny and unpredictable moments. Among those Lora's best friend has a new look
Inna
Aug 13, 2012 Inna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review also appears on my blog
This book was definitely a shocker. When I first picked it up I expected an okay read with decent romance and sort of likable characters. This book delivered so much more.
Lora is an ordinary teenager, or so she thinks. However, her life takes an exciting and dangerous turn when she meets Chance . Lora is a great character. She wasn't a Mary Sue and she wasn't the type of character that mopes about how terrible her life and how she just wants to be a normal girl. S
Karla
I wish I could unread the 80% of this book I managed to get through before vomiting all over it

Another paranormal relationship based on.. absolutely nothing

I give up. It was a free kindle book, and I got exactly what I paid for. This style of writing is becoming all too common, and I fear for future generations.

Part of me wants to view it less harshly since it's a YA book - but there's so much good YA out there that to do that would be a disservice to great YA authors everywhere. Most books are
Gary
Mar 22, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loramendi's characters grab you with their sympathetic normality - until you suddenly realize they are anything but normal. Before you know it, you're completely immersed in their struggles, cheering their victories and cursing their nemeses. A great read for all ages.
Jackie -Sated Faery
This was such a beautiful story!! I expected the shapeshifters, but was pleased to find such a fairy tale quality to the book. Don't get me wrong, it's not all kissing on the beach - there is plenty of action, too! Lora is a very relate-able, down-to-earth girl who doesn't really believe in myth & magic. But Chance is the perfect prince to help convince her! Even the creepy bad guys have a certain mystery about them that makes me very curious to read more!
Karly Kirkpatrick
Hot hot hot! If you loved the steamy romance between Edward and Bella, you'll love Lora and Chance!

***Update*** just read it again and loved it a second time!
Mandy Sickle

Lora’s summer was far from interesting until she catches the attention of a sexy windsurfer. Her best friend has returned from being gone all summer but something is bothering her and Lora isn’t sure what it might be. When her windsurfer shows up at her work Lora decides to seek him out where they windsurf and falls asleep only to wake up to him sitting next to her. Chance is determined to win her heart which isn’t hard because Lora quickly falls for him as well.

Things are starting to change for
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Looking at some previous reviews, I see this book is yet another one where it has been compared to the Twilight Saga. Having read those and this, I can concur with the other reviewers. There are similarities but, more importantly, there are differences too. Yes, Lora is awkward and plain (her words), yes Chance is a "HOT water bottle model" (again her words but am I the only one who thinks of an actual hot water bottle whenever I read it?)

It turns out that Lora is not just an awkward teenager wi
Brenda Demko
Jan 23, 2012 Brenda Demko rated it really liked it
This shifter story is really unique. Angela Carlie's shifters come from three different tribes who all live in a fairylike world. There are other differences but I'll let you discover them yourself. I really enjoyed Loramendi's Story.

We begin Loramendi's story, in a small nowhere town in Washington. The main character is Lora, a senior in high school. She has a boring life. She spends most of her time hanging out with her friends, hiking, watching surfers, and working. After a hike, as Lora and
Amanda
Mar 21, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book actually had a fairly good plot line. I liked the world and the concept behind the shifters. I read the book quickly which usually is an indication that I liked the book.

The book could have used some more character development. You meet some characters (such as Julien, Brian, Dillon, Johnnie, and Jess), but you don't get any information about them. I got a few things about Jess and Johnnie, and all I know about Julien, Brian, and Dillon is the basics (nothing about the characters or w
H.
Oct 31, 2011 H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“Loramendi’s Story” started with the poetic hook and the pretense of a seemingly normal world. But where the trouble started for me is when Lora meets Chance. There was a certain level of creepiness about his comments and behavior that had me searching for the panic button, and yet Lora wasn’t hitting it or trying to escape. I understand the draw, the connection that was supposed to be there, but I never felt it.

The creepy commentary, of course, was explained when Lora’s past was revealed. It wa
Michelle
Jun 19, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not really sure what I was getting when I opened this book. I love reading shifter books, but find they are either hit or miss. Not many of them hold middle ground. I can honestly say I enjoyed Loramendi's Story. The author has written an interesting plot, with characters that you can relate to. It is not all shifter glam, it has a story behind all that shifting awesomeness. I liked that the plot wasn't all about Lora being this totally awesome girl that could shift and be all powerful. No ...more
Aakruti
May 11, 2012 Aakruti rated it liked it
HebaH
Mar 09, 2012 HebaH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Loramendi’s Story, Angela Carlie allows readers into the main character’s mind. Lora’s strengths and weaknesses, and her desires and fears, are all laid out on the pages of this exciting read. She has a destiny, and with each new tidbit she learns of it, readers are right there with her. Each step of Lora’s journey shows how big her heart is and how strong she will become in the future.

The summer of Lora’s senior year changes her life – for better or worse is for the reader to decide. She mee
Melanie McCullough
Actual Rating: 3.5

Loramendi's Story is the first in the new Lord of the Shifters series from Angela Carlie and it shows. The novel ends just when I was most anxious to see what happened next. I found myself staring at the page on my e-reader willing more words to appear.

But this is a good thing. Despite a rocky beginning in which there was a few moments where the writing and description choices made me cringe and pulled me from the story, by the time it ended I wanted more.

Lora was occasional
Krystal
Jul 28, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts right off with a humorous encounter with the main character's best friend showing off her newly pierced flesh. Lora, the main character, keeps a dream journal; the reader reads part of this journal in the second chapter. The tone for the novel is set right after the dream journal excerpt. The novel has an undercurrent of tension that will continue throughout the story. Lora seems to know something is going to happen to her, but she doesn't know yet quite what that something is. ...more
Susan Commeford
Aug 25, 2015 Susan Commeford rated it really liked it
A young adult fairy tale

This story is fairly predictable with the lost Princess being found by the Prince. It adds shape-shifting to the mix for a slightly different take on the classic story. Overall, the story isn't bad, just not great. There are a few grammatical errors in the latter part of the book, but nothing that really jars. I would have liked to see more of a storyline with stronger characters. It's a decent read regardless.
Karen
Apr 03, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Not the type of story I normally read, (I don't read books like Twilight) but really good nonetheless. I am so intrigued by this story line and its characters that I might just have to purchase the others in the series just to find out what is going on in this fantasy world of shapeshifters.

I really like the character of Lora and thought she was well developed throughout the story, not sure about the other characters though. I wasn't a huge fan of Chance (or his brothers.) I thought he was a bit
Catrina Barton
I'm glad this was a free ebook at Amazon.

The Good:

The very unusual opening, gives the book a unique beginning.
Bear shifters aren’t as popular as were-wolves and were-tigers, so it’s a refreshing change of pace.

The Bad:

Some of the phrasing reads awkward or flat out doesn’t work, like to the point of completing keeping me at arms’ length instead of losing me in the story.

Lora seemed a bit flat to me, too flat for a main character.

I’ve used guns before. I’ve shot everything from a double barrele
Shirley
Sep 27, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loramendi’s Story was a combination of shifter/romance/fairy tale all rolled into one. It had pretty much everything. Romance, action, danger and mystery.

I really liked Lora as a main character and her friends were a great balance. I liked Chance too, but at times he was so formal it was annoying. I suppose coming from where he did (I don’t want to give anything away) may have had something to do with it, but the dialogue still seemed a little awkward coming from a teen.

There is definitely more
Tamela Kerr/Sides
Jun 03, 2015 Tamela Kerr/Sides rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Really enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to the rest of the series. If the whole series is as good as this book I will read them back to back, instead of taking a break to read another genre.
LorettaLynn
Feb 12, 2013 LorettaLynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I picked this one out was the cover. I know that is bad, but I just love it. Having the different animals right behind her, sets off that the story is going to be new and different.
As I got into the story, it’s self I wasn’t so much surprised as I was happy for the chance to read a story wit a different kind of shifter’s in it. I mean I love shifters a lot, but reading all the different way they can be there is just something that I enjoy.
This was a great story from the beginning to t
Kelli
Overall I really enjoyed this story. I like the characters and the concept, I just wish the author had gone into a little more depth with everything. The world building could have used some more detail, and the relationships between the characters were somewhat one-dimensional. Also, I got a bit annoyed because Lora kept being told that she would get all her questions answered after she got some rest. We never get to see her having these promised conversations, and this happens more than once. H ...more
Suzanne Schack
So this is yet another first book, given free on Amazon, that I chose because it sounded interesting and different. And it was different, but it left me expecting a lot from the second book I haven't gotten yet. So I'm reserving judgement until I've read it. I hope for more info on some of the characters introduced in the book, as well as more insight into the events of the first book. A good start, but lots of holes that need filling. Happy reading, everyone!
Jess
Sep 12, 2012 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot was sooo slooow!! I couldn't stand it so I stopped reading it by Chapter 20. Lora was very naive and it was more interesting reading about her dreams then what she was doing when she was awake. Chance was mysterious and even though he sounded bewitchingly hot, he was too hard to get a read on him making me feel like Lora and him weren't a good match.
Nikki
This was a little slow to start out, but in the end I really liked this book. My one complaint is that it ended with a lot of story untold. There is another book in the series, but from what I can tell, it will not be picking up where Loramendi left off. This disappoints me because I'd like to finish her story and see how the battle plays out....
Diane
May 06, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sort of seems lora is a little self centered but thts just me! Cant wait too finish!

I well lora pissed me off sometimes and was hung up on this boy. I just wish tht it had more action the boy crazyness. But chance was pretty great! For tht four out of five. Recomend.
Joni
Apr 23, 2012 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Good story. Thought the book should have gone on, or that there is going to be several sequels. Want to know more about the Chance's brothers, and know if Lora is going to find her mother. But good story couldnt put it down.
  • Healed by Fire (Artemis Lupine, #3)
  • Soul Quest (Soul Quest, #1)
  • The Ultimate Sacrifice (The Gifted Teens, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Soul Mates: Scent
  • Pride Unleashed (A Wolf's Pride, #2)
  • Amber Passion (The Enchanters, #3)
  • Unnatural Law (Darwin's Children, #2)
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Savage (Daughters of the Jaguar, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • On Dark Shores: The Lady
  • Limerick  (The Shimmer Trilogy, #2)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Bad Moon (Moonstruck, #2)
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
  • Familiar
Angela Carlie writes young adult fiction. When she's not writing, she enjoys hiking, kayaking, reading and traveling.

She lives in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with her husband and son.
More about Angela Carlie...

Lords of Shifters (3 books)
  • Spider Wars (Lords of Shifters)
  • Dark Horse (Lords of Shifters)