Start by marking “Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class” as Want to Read:
Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"A lively and engaging chronicle that adds yet another dimension to the historical record." -The Boston Globe

When George Pullman began recruiting Southern blacks as porters in his luxurious new sleeping cars, the former slaves suffering under Jim Crow laws found his offer of a steady job and worldly experience irresistable. They quickly signed up to serve as maid, waiter,
Published June 1st 2005 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rising from the Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising from the Rails

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonSin in the Second City by Karen AbbottThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Jungle by Upton SinclairThe Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Chicago in history and fiction
38th out of 141 books — 43 voters
That Old Cape Magic by Richard RussoHouse of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus IIIMid Ocean by T. Rafael CiminoWoodsburner by John PipkinSnow by Orhan Pamuk
Boston Book Festival 2009
51st out of 92 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Mikey B.
May 29, 2013 Mikey B. rated it really liked it
This book discusses the Pullman porters and how they became the Black middle class. They were more travelled than ordinary black folk of that era and also came into contact with a much wider diversity of people – particularly if you compare them to share-croppers in the Deep South. They instilled a work ethic in their families; sons could inherit the positions of their fathers.

There was a price to this as the author points out. The Pullman porters hid behind a mask – smiling and shining shoes f
Don
Oct 14, 2010 Don rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well researched, particularly in light of the difficulty in finding living Pullman Porters and setting up opportunities for oral testimony/history with them. Its one of the particular joys of reading a history book when it covers something that is seemingly forgotten, and may only get a sentence, if that, in a normal history textbook. The transition of African-Americans who were slaves in the South to working on these luxury sleeping cars is fascinating ...more
I Be Reading
Feb 15, 2011 I Be Reading rated it it was amazing
My great-grandfather, who died long before I was born, was a Pullman Porter. I was so happy to find a book dedicated to the lives of these upstanding men, many of whom were the first to leave the farms in the South and went on to help create the black middle class. Five stars!
Tonya Marshall
Jun 11, 2015 Tonya Marshall rated it it was amazing
Upon seeing the documentary, Rising From The Rails, I immediately wanted to read the book that was associated. Rarely is the history and significance of the Pullman Porter discussed and appreciated with American History. This book personalizes the challenges, struggles, indignities, and successes experienced by these beautiful group of men and the other auxiliary groups including women and other minorities working for the railroad at the end of the 19th century and 20th century.
This book gives
Roger Mckenzie
Mar 25, 2015 Roger Mckenzie rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about the Pullman Porters. The stories of organising a union in secrecy were fascinating and eye opening. It's a shame, to say the least, that there was not more about the women working on the railroad but it was good to see how women were absolutely vital to the initial organising of the union.

Anything that tells the story of the vital contribution made by A Philip Randolph to trade unionism and to civil rights is fine by me but I was also pleased that the due res
Linda
Nov 13, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Seattle Rep commissioned a work on the Pullman Porters which became the Pullman Porter Blues. My husband and I saw it and, of course, immediately became interested in the historical background. This book is a great one for that. It not only traces the history of George Pullman and his decision to use black porters (he hired ex-slaves because they were already subservient and, since they were black, they would not be threatening to white riders.) It's fascinating to find that former porters were ...more
Toni
Nov 23, 2010 Toni rated it really liked it
Chris Aylott
Dec 30, 2014 Chris Aylott rated it really liked it
Simultaneously romantic and gritty, journalist Tye's account digs into the paradoxical story of the Pullman porters and the almost forgotten role they played in the civil rights movement. On the one hand, the porters were thoroughly exploited by the Pullman company, with long hours and low pay relative to their fellow railroad workers. On the other, they were a beacon of upward mobility for their neighbors and a critical information network between black communities. If you believe that economic ...more
Marius
Aug 10, 2011 Marius rated it liked it
This book is good to very good but not great. It is a wonderful set of anecdotes about the resilience of Black people (and Black men in particular) in the face of very difficult circumstances. These stories of persecution and resilience are inspiring but there did not seem to be a realized thesis, that being that these men laid the foundation for the mondern civil rights movement. I would have liked to have seen more stories about the descendants of these Pullman porters..but it was still a good ...more
SunnyD
*SNORE*
great content. lullaby writing. if you are a history buff and have some no-doze or an unlimited supply of coffee on hand, have at it. otherwise, give to a friend with insomnia and they will be grateful to you for the instant cure.
----------------------------------------------
okay, so far, not horrible. but it still feels like homework.
-----------------------------------------------
i really don't want to read this, but it's the club's selection for january. we'll see. *eyeroll*

Creolecat
Jan 28, 2013 Creolecat rated it it was amazing
Porters were generally African American and a few Asian men who were hired to assistant travelers on passenger trains. George Pullman’s company employed more black workers than any other corporation in the U.S. The book delves into the history of these men who were invisible yet always there to be “Ambassadors of Hospitality”, how they became unionized and Tye interviews a number of former employees and their grandchildren.
Liz
May 22, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Given that this book is written when so many Pullman porters are no longer alive, this book seems to be as factual an account as possible. Fascinating, heartrending, uplifting. Slavery may technically have ended with the Emancipation Proclamation, but George Pullman found his own special way to keep it going. And yet it ended up benefiting so many people. A conundrum of a book, and an important piece of American history.
Karina
Feb 17, 2008 Karina rated it liked it
Cassie
Jun 24, 2008 Cassie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassie by: a book club selection.
It probably took me over a month to finish this book. It nearly put me to sleep every time I picked it up. I found myself wanting to stop reading it many times but for some reason it kept calling me back. In the end it was a very intriguing and I feel like I learned a lot from it. I would only reccommend this book to someone who is interested in the history of the Pullman Porters or the Railways.
Christopher
As they did in their work lives, Pullman Porters fade into the background of labor, civil rights, and railway history. Yet their impact and ties to these movements cannot be understated. This book is an excellent resource for revealing a network of connections as expansive as the rails the Porters rode.
Fran
Jul 21, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing
Terrific...Tye is a wonderful social historian. The Pullman porters were an important if overlooked force for change. So glad I read this. (Mary: the guy who set the fire in Loving Frank had been a Pullman porter and got me interested in their story).
Bess
Jun 26, 2009 Bess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine-all-mine
With any historical nonfiction, those of us who aren't historians ourselves sort of have to trust that it's an equitable treatment of the subject. I really hope this is because I found it fascinating and well-written.
Valerie
May 06, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Although this book was not exactly riveting, it was filled with interesting information about the Pullman company and Porters and their ties to the civil rights movement.
Jenna
May 12, 2009 Jenna rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. I heard a great review/story the other day about the book on NPR and went in w/ high hopes, but it just didn't pan out quick enough for me.
Nashira
Nov 02, 2008 Nashira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent research done just in time to catch the few primary sources left. the romance of trains, the unchivalrous codes of the past, "masters" of the universe & more
Dennis Williams
Oct 16, 2010 Dennis Williams rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone interested in one of the great labor movements in U.S. History.
Colleen
Sep 15, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Great history and perspective on the employment of blacks by the Pullman Train company.
Reginald
Mar 02, 2009 Reginald rated it liked it
A very interesting topic but it lost my attention for long stretches at a time.
Jpaflas
Apr 03, 2008 Jpaflas rated it really liked it
A tough read, but really inetersting history.
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Anthony Cyganovich
Anthony Cyganovich is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
Claire Eden
Claire Eden marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Miriam Sushman
Miriam Sushman marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America
  • There Goes My Everything: White Southerners in the Age of Civil Rights, 1945-1975
  • The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America
  • Myth of the Welfare Queen: A Pulitzer Prize-Winning Journalist's Portrait of Women on the Line
  • First Class: The Legacy of Dunbar, America's First Black Public High School
  • Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class
  • Red Summer: The Summer of 1919 and the Awakening of Black America
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • The Wilder Shores Of Marx: Journeys In A Vanishing World
  • How Race Is Lived in America: Pulling Together, Pulling Apart
  • A Nation of Nations: A Story of America After the 1965 Immigration Law
  • Behind the Mask of Chivalry: The Making of the Second Ku Klux Klan
  • The Origins of the Civil Rights Movements: Black Communities Organizing for Change
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • On the Laps of Gods: The Red Summer of 1919 and the Struggle for Justice That Remade a Nation
  • How to Rent a Negro