Start by marking “Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class” as Want to Read:
Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"A lively and engaging chronicle that adds yet another dimension to the historical record." -The Boston Globe

When George Pullman began recruiting Southern blacks as porters in his luxurious new sleeping cars, the former slaves suffering under Jim Crow laws found his offer of a steady job and worldly experience irresistable. They quickly signed up to serve as maid, waiter,
Published June 1st 2005 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rising from the Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising from the Rails

That Old Cape Magic by Richard RussoHouse of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus IIIMid Ocean by T. Rafael CiminoWoodsburner by John PipkinSnow by Orhan Pamuk
Boston Book Festival 2009
50th out of 92 books — 17 voters
The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonSin in the Second City by Karen AbbottThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Orphan Factory by James Morcan
Chicago in history and fiction
127th out of 127 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Mikey B.
This book discusses the Pullman porters and how they became the Black middle class. They were more travelled than ordinary black folk of that era and also came into contact with a much wider diversity of people – particularly if you compare them to share-croppers in the Deep South. They instilled a work ethic in their families; sons could inherit the positions of their fathers.

There was a price to this as the author points out. The Pullman porters hid behind a mask – smiling and shining shoes f
Really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well researched, particularly in light of the difficulty in finding living Pullman Porters and setting up opportunities for oral testimony/history with them. Its one of the particular joys of reading a history book when it covers something that is seemingly forgotten, and may only get a sentence, if that, in a normal history textbook. The transition of African-Americans who were slaves in the South to working on these luxury sleeping cars is fascinating ...more
I Be Reading
My great-grandfather, who died long before I was born, was a Pullman Porter. I was so happy to find a book dedicated to the lives of these upstanding men, many of whom were the first to leave the farms in the South and went on to help create the black middle class. Five stars!
Tonya Marshall
Upon seeing the documentary, Rising From The Rails, I immediately wanted to read the book that was associated. Rarely is the history and significance of the Pullman Porter discussed and appreciated with American History. This book personalizes the challenges, struggles, indignities, and successes experienced by these beautiful group of men and the other auxiliary groups including women and other minorities working for the railroad at the end of the 19th century and 20th century.
This book gives
Roger Mckenzie
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about the Pullman Porters. The stories of organising a union in secrecy were fascinating and eye opening. It's a shame, to say the least, that there was not more about the women working on the railroad but it was good to see how women were absolutely vital to the initial organising of the union.

Anything that tells the story of the vital contribution made by A Philip Randolph to trade unionism and to civil rights is fine by me but I was also pleased that the due res
Seattle Rep commissioned a work on the Pullman Porters which became the Pullman Porter Blues. My husband and I saw it and, of course, immediately became interested in the historical background. This book is a great one for that. It not only traces the history of George Pullman and his decision to use black porters (he hired ex-slaves because they were already subservient and, since they were black, they would not be threatening to white riders.) It's fascinating to find that former porters were ...more
Chris Aylott
Simultaneously romantic and gritty, journalist Tye's account digs into the paradoxical story of the Pullman porters and the almost forgotten role they played in the civil rights movement. On the one hand, the porters were thoroughly exploited by the Pullman company, with long hours and low pay relative to their fellow railroad workers. On the other, they were a beacon of upward mobility for their neighbors and a critical information network between black communities. If you believe that economic ...more
This book is good to very good but not great. It is a wonderful set of anecdotes about the resilience of Black people (and Black men in particular) in the face of very difficult circumstances. These stories of persecution and resilience are inspiring but there did not seem to be a realized thesis, that being that these men laid the foundation for the mondern civil rights movement. I would have liked to have seen more stories about the descendants of these Pullman porters..but it was still a good ...more
great content. lullaby writing. if you are a history buff and have some no-doze or an unlimited supply of coffee on hand, have at it. otherwise, give to a friend with insomnia and they will be grateful to you for the instant cure.
okay, so far, not horrible. but it still feels like homework.
i really don't want to read this, but it's the club's selection for january. we'll see. *eyeroll*

Porters were generally African American and a few Asian men who were hired to assistant travelers on passenger trains. George Pullman’s company employed more black workers than any other corporation in the U.S. The book delves into the history of these men who were invisible yet always there to be “Ambassadors of Hospitality”, how they became unionized and Tye interviews a number of former employees and their grandchildren.
Given that this book is written when so many Pullman porters are no longer alive, this book seems to be as factual an account as possible. Fascinating, heartrending, uplifting. Slavery may technically have ended with the Emancipation Proclamation, but George Pullman found his own special way to keep it going. And yet it ended up benefiting so many people. A conundrum of a book, and an important piece of American history.
Jun 24, 2008 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassie by: a book club selection.
It probably took me over a month to finish this book. It nearly put me to sleep every time I picked it up. I found myself wanting to stop reading it many times but for some reason it kept calling me back. In the end it was a very intriguing and I feel like I learned a lot from it. I would only reccommend this book to someone who is interested in the history of the Pullman Porters or the Railways.
As they did in their work lives, Pullman Porters fade into the background of labor, civil rights, and railway history. Yet their impact and ties to these movements cannot be understated. This book is an excellent resource for revealing a network of connections as expansive as the rails the Porters rode.
Terrific...Tye is a wonderful social historian. The Pullman porters were an important if overlooked force for change. So glad I read this. (Mary: the guy who set the fire in Loving Frank had been a Pullman porter and got me interested in their story).
With any historical nonfiction, those of us who aren't historians ourselves sort of have to trust that it's an equitable treatment of the subject. I really hope this is because I found it fascinating and well-written.
May 06, 2009 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Although this book was not exactly riveting, it was filled with interesting information about the Pullman company and Porters and their ties to the civil rights movement.
I just couldn't get into this book. I heard a great review/story the other day about the book on NPR and went in w/ high hopes, but it just didn't pan out quick enough for me.
Excellent research done just in time to catch the few primary sources left. the romance of trains, the unchivalrous codes of the past, "masters" of the universe & more
Dennis Williams
This is a must read for anyone interested in one of the great labor movements in U.S. History.
Great history and perspective on the employment of blacks by the Pullman Train company.
A very interesting topic but it lost my attention for long stretches at a time.
A tough read, but really inetersting history.
Jade Haywood
Jade Haywood marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Leeann Sheriff
Leeann Sheriff marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
E marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Lynxette is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2015
Kate is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2015
  • A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America
  • Red Summer: The Summer of 1919 and the Awakening of Black America
  • The Origins of the Civil Rights Movements: Black Communities Organizing for Change
  • Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class
  • The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America
  • Myth of the Welfare Queen: A Pulitzer Prize-Winning Journalist's Portrait of Women on the Line
  • There Goes My Everything: White Southerners in the Age of Civil Rights, 1945-1975
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • Defying Dixie: The Radical Roots of Civil Rights: 1919-1950
  • First Class: The Legacy of Dunbar, America's First Black Public High School
  • The Promised Land: The Great Black Migration and How It Changed America
  • A Murder in Virginia: Southern Justice on Trial
  • Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campaign
  • How Race Is Lived in America: Pulling Together, Pulling Apart