Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

Rising from the Rails: Pullman Porters and the Making of the Black Middle Class

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"A lively and engaging chronicle that adds yet another dimension to the historical record."-The Boston Globe

When George Pullman began recruiting Southern blacks as porters in his luxurious new sleeping cars, the former slaves suffering under Jim Crow laws found his offer of a steady job and worldly experience irresistable. They quickly signed up to serve as maid, waiter, c...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2004)

Mikey B.
This book discusses the Pullman porters and how they became the Black middle class. They were more travelled than ordinary black folk of that era and also came into contact with a much wider diversity of people – particularly if you compare them to share-croppers in the Deep South. They instilled a work ethic in their families; sons could inherit the positions of their fathers.

There was a price to this as the author points out. The Pullman porters hid behind a mask – smiling and shining shoes f...more
Don
Really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well researched, particularly in light of the difficulty in finding living Pullman Porters and setting up opportunities for oral testimony/history with them. Its one of the particular joys of reading a history book when it covers something that is seemingly forgotten, and may only get a sentence, if that, in a normal history textbook. The transition of African-Americans who were slaves in the South to working on these luxury sleeping cars is fascinating...more
I Be Reading
My great-grandfather, who died long before I was born, was a Pullman Porter. I was so happy to find a book dedicated to the lives of these upstanding men, many of whom were the first to leave the farms in the South and went on to help create the black middle class. Five stars!
Linda
Seattle Rep commissioned a work on the Pullman Porters which became the Pullman Porter Blues. My husband and I saw it and, of course, immediately became interested in the historical background. This book is a great one for that. It not only traces the history of George Pullman and his decision to use black porters (he hired ex-slaves because they were already subservient and, since they were black, they would not be threatening to white riders.) It's fascinating to find that former porters were...more
Toni
Marius
This book is good to very good but not great. It is a wonderful set of anecdotes about the resilience of Black people (and Black men in particular) in the face of very difficult circumstances. These stories of persecution and resilience are inspiring but there did not seem to be a realized thesis, that being that these men laid the foundation for the mondern civil rights movement. I would have liked to have seen more stories about the descendants of these Pullman porters..but it was still a good...more
SunnyD
*SNORE*
great content. lullaby writing. if you are a history buff and have some no-doze or an unlimited supply of coffee on hand, have at it. otherwise, give to a friend with insomnia and they will be grateful to you for the instant cure.
----------------------------------------------
okay, so far, not horrible. but it still feels like homework.
-----------------------------------------------
i really don't want to read this, but it's the club's selection for january. we'll see. *eyeroll*

Creolecat
Porters were generally African American and a few Asian men who were hired to assistant travelers on passenger trains. George Pullman’s company employed more black workers than any other corporation in the U.S. The book delves into the history of these men who were invisible yet always there to be “Ambassadors of Hospitality”, how they became unionized and Tye interviews a number of former employees and their grandchildren.
Liz
Given that this book is written when so many Pullman porters are no longer alive, this book seems to be as factual an account as possible. Fascinating, heartrending, uplifting. Slavery may technically have ended with the Emancipation Proclamation, but George Pullman found his own special way to keep it going. And yet it ended up benefiting so many people. A conundrum of a book, and an important piece of American history.
Karina
Cassie
Jun 24, 2008 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassie by: a book club selection.
It probably took me over a month to finish this book. It nearly put me to sleep every time I picked it up. I found myself wanting to stop reading it many times but for some reason it kept calling me back. In the end it was a very intriguing and I feel like I learned a lot from it. I would only reccommend this book to someone who is interested in the history of the Pullman Porters or the Railways.
Christopher
As they did in their work lives, Pullman Porters fade into the background of labor, civil rights, and railway history. Yet their impact and ties to these movements cannot be understated. This book is an excellent resource for revealing a network of connections as expansive as the rails the Porters rode.
Fran
Terrific...Tye is a wonderful social historian. The Pullman porters were an important if overlooked force for change. So glad I read this. (Mary: the guy who set the fire in Loving Frank had been a Pullman porter and got me interested in their story).
Bess
With any historical nonfiction, those of us who aren't historians ourselves sort of have to trust that it's an equitable treatment of the subject. I really hope this is because I found it fascinating and well-written.
Valerie
May 06, 2009 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dad
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Although this book was not exactly riveting, it was filled with interesting information about the Pullman company and Porters and their ties to the civil rights movement.
Jenna
I just couldn't get into this book. I heard a great review/story the other day about the book on NPR and went in w/ high hopes, but it just didn't pan out quick enough for me.
Nashira
Excellent research done just in time to catch the few primary sources left. the romance of trains, the unchivalrous codes of the past, "masters" of the universe & more
Dennis Williams
This is a must read for anyone interested in one of the great labor movements in U.S. History.
Colleen
Great history and perspective on the employment of blacks by the Pullman Train company.
Reginald
A very interesting topic but it lost my attention for long stretches at a time.
Jpaflas
A tough read, but really inetersting history.
Ann Santori
Ann Santori marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Faith Shirley
Faith Shirley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Slaa!!!
Slaa!!! marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Brenda Shannon
Brenda Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Gaylin Walli
Gaylin Walli marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend Superman: The High-Flying History of the Man of Steel The Father of Spin: Edward L. Bernays and The Birth of Public Relations Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero Home Lands: Portraits of the New Jewish Diaspora