Start by marking “Beyond the Farthest Star” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Farthest Star

Beyond the Farthest Star

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Beyond the Farthest Star tells the tale of a father desperate to reconnect with his daughter and regain the love of his wife. In it he discovers that reconciliation and trust begin, not with words, but with the revelation of the heart.
Published January 3rd 2012 by Zondervan (first published December 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Farthest Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Farthest Star

Kate
Anne, daughter of Pastor Adam and Maurene Wells watches her father's every breath whose life depends on a ventilator machine.
Adam was in his element as a preacher. His profession, his calling, led him and his family from California to Leonard, Texas to a dying church. The Well's family traveled from place to place frequently and Anne always had a hard time fitting in as the new kid in school.
The plan by the town council and Adam was to display a wooden nativity scene for all to enjoy, not being
Pat W. Kirk
Pastor Adam Wells, former child evangelist and possible next Billie Graham, instead, pulled in to his new church with a sad secret, a damaged daughter and unhappy wife. Each church he accepted became smaller than the previous ones. He longed to do something important, and the burning of the nativity in the public square promised him his chance. But can he withstand Senator Cutter’s desire to annihilate his family with the old secret?

The reader wants the best for the characters—though Anne, Adam
Meagan Myhren-bennett
BEYOND THE FARTHEST STAR
By Bodie and Brock Thoene
Based on the screenplay by Andrew Librizzi

The Wells family is in tatters living on the dreams of what might have been and keeping secrets that have the power to destroy them or to pull them back together. With one last chance to start over can they save their family? Adam Wells was a child preacher phenomenon and expected to be the next Billy Graham. But life turned out differently than expected and he is headed to the middle of nowhere to Leonard
Jennifer Jensen
As a preacher’s kid, I have experienced the angst of constant moving. I was miserable when I was sixteen, primarily because we moved again – the third time that year. I related, then to the story of Anne. I wrote a story when I was a sophomore in high school that prompted a phone call from the high school English teacher, and was told to write about ‘butterflies and rainbows’. While my life story wasn’t as convoluted as Anne’s in some respects, I knew her voice was authentic.

What took me 20 year
Cindy Navarro
Beyond The Farthest Star is the latest release from the prolific, multi-award winning team of Bodie and Brock Thoene. Known primarily for their carefully researched historical fiction, they have proven they are equally skilled in a contemporary setting. Based on the original screenplay by Andrew Librizzi, Beyond The Farthest Star is an insightful, mesmerizing story that centers on the Wells family. Adam, Maureen, and their teenaged daughter, Anne, are each struggling with internal demons that ar ...more
Lori Twichell
I want to start my review with this disclaimer: Bodie and Brock Thoene, in my opinion, hold the banner for Christian Fiction. Theirs were some of the first works that I immersed myself in as a young teenager and since then, very few authors have been able to maintain that momentum in my mind. Even now, as an adult who reads professionally, that love of their work still remains deeply ingrained in my heart and I carried it into the reading of this book.

I was not disappointed. Though the story was
Lydell Reeves
Amazingly well crafted story that keeps your interest as it weaves through multilayered characters, secrets, betrayal and a thrilling but emotional outcome. What is so interesting about Beyond The Farthest Star, is that it is so rich with deep truths. It is so relevant for today. The Thoenes did an excellent job keeping my interest. I believe this story. It is a fresh look at telling a contemporary story. I am surprised that the Thoenes, recognized for historical fiction, pulled this off to perf ...more
Mimi Herbert
I have read and loved all the Thoene WWII book series. This book is going in the garbage - I won't even donate it to the library. It's good if you love, lying, deceit, darkness, evil. AT the end it all evened out very nicely, but most of the book was simply depressing. I kept reading hoping it would get better. The ending wasn't worth the read.
C.J. Darlington
I really enjoyed this story. Now I can't wait to see the movie! I will admit though, there were two times when something happened very quickly and very conveniently to challenge my suspension of disbelief. Still, a great book with an inspiring message.
Shari Turner
The book examines the life of a pastor's family. Families of pastors are not always wonderful. They have problems just like the rest of us. Many problems that youth have today are talked about that I had never heard of when I was a youth. Feeling loved is one of the most basic needs of a person and this need is tackled in the book. Some that read this book with me thought this was more of a youth book. The marriage relationship was also one of the topics and so I'm not sure it was just for youth ...more
Candace Lazzaro
I enjoy Bodie & Brocke Thoene books. They are a fast read, interesting and have a good Christian message without being in your face about it. This book is a bit hard to read because it's characters are so hurt but it makes for a interesting story that kept me reading. I finished it in two days because I couldn't put it down. It's a story that I could recommend to my non-Christian friends because it doesn't soft pedal the message. The ending is a little far-fetched but I would have been disap ...more
Vera Godley
The authors have written an entirely different type of book with Beyond the Farthest Star from their usual reads. Their historical novels - no matter the timeline - are always wonderful reads. This new book deals with characters who are flawed, deceptive, and evil. The meanness of some of the characters literally makes my skin crawl. I am not speaking of demons and dragons or supernatural. I am referring to the downright meanness of the human nature of fallen men.

The book opens with the family
Evangheline Farcas
Another great book by the Thoenes. This book was read and presented by the author Bodie Thoene and I loved hearing one of my favorite authors present this great redeeming story. It is a story of a family who's faith in God long ago died, yet events push them to look to the only One who can take their pieces of thier shattered life and put it back together. In it we find what happens when lies come to the surface and the pain one lie can cause. I loved the end the most, it was presented with flar ...more
Cyndi
Others have given a good overview of this book, so I'll just say that I thought this book did a really good job of reminding us to look beyond a person's outward appearance and see that many times, it's a mask for deep hurt inside.

This is part of a conversation between Stephen and Potsy (his grandfather)... (Potsy) "Kinda like Midnight and her barbwire scars. Crazy, wild thing. Got herself caught in the wire and fought to free herself. Deeper the wire cut, the more she kicked. The tighter that
Allison Wheeler
4.5 stars and rounded up. :)
There was definitely moments when I thought it was a boring read, but I kept on and really ended up liking the story and characters. This book was the text version of a lifetime movie. :) so if you like the borderline cheesy yet tragic stories with a happy ending, then you'll enjoy this book.
Erica
I have always enjoyed the historical fiction written by the Thoenes, but I was let down by this one. I knew before I was halfway through that it didn't hit the right chords for me, but I finished it because I don't like to give up on a book if I can help it. The story was not terribly engaging, and some of the motives for the characters' actions seemed contrived and stretched. Some elements of the story were certainly cliche. I wish that it had been better, as usually I really enjoy these author ...more
Jerry
Most Christian fiction fans know Bodie and Brock Thoene for their historical fiction, especially the multiple Zion series about Israel during and around World War II. Beyond the Farthest Star, however, is not only set in a contemporary setting, it also is an adaptation of an upcoming movie. I had rather mixed feelings about the book; although the writing was good, the story wasn't all that engaging, and the "poetry" contained in the book was just plain dumb. It did keep me wanting to know what t ...more
Michele Stuart
Not the deepest plot compared to other Thoene books but still a nice read. Found the ending a little pat but the redemption of characters is always nice!
Glenn
Really enjoyed this book - shows the struggles faced (sometimes over the top) by children of Pastors... A good story - worth a read
Maureen
2 1/2 stars - super depressing! There wasn't enough good throughout the book to balance the bad - no comic relief.
Barbara
Would be better if the story was filled out more. This seemed almost to be an outline of a story.
Libby Sellers
This was not my favorite. I still am not sure how the daughters life got into such a mess, in fact how the family's life did when they were happy at one time. I listened to the audio book so maybe I missed something? it was adapted from a screen play so I don't know if that played a part but it left me with a hazy feeling of how did they get here.

This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the following referral link-
Barbara
Brock and Bodie Thoene are two of my favorite authors. This novel was a big departure from the Thoene's usual historical fiction, but still excellent. The story line deals with a Pastor, several troubled teenagers, the effects of abuse, the longterm reach of lies, and separation of church and state issues. Interesting from beginning to end, I could not put this one down easily. One character seemed to change too abruptly with no explanation to be believable to me, but I do recommend this one for ...more
Elizabeth
I've always loved the THoene books as they are full of historical data as well as a very well constructed plot. This story surprised me because it happens nowadays. The plot as usual is excellent set in today's history with great psychological insights. I was surprised at their amount of knowledge in the world of psychology. I read this book onphone and really enjoyed it. Loved the ending.
Leanne
Very intriguing; kept me turning pages to find out all family's secrets. None of the characters were likable in the beginning, but by the end, I realized all the hurts that each of them carried and it made me empathize with each of them. Definitely different than any other Thoene book I've read as it's not historical fiction, but contemporary.
Heather
I have loved the other books I have read by this author. This book however was very disappointing. The storyline was very depressing and hard to follow. It was choppy going back and forth between characters. It started out ok, but I kept reading hoping it would get better. It did not.
Jeanie
This book intrigues me as it is the story of a minister and his family. Being the daughter of a retired minister, I'm guessing that I will find a lot to relate to in this story.
Brenda Wharton
A pastor and his dysfunctional family all have their secrets from each other and from the people in their new community. This is a beautiful story of love, forgiveness and faith
Charity U
Or 3 1/2 stars. It's based on a screenplay. It's a little weird, and I've liked other stuff I've read by the Thoenes better, but this wasn't bad.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Giveaways and Con...: Beyond The Farthest Star contest 1 3 May 01, 2013 07:53PM
Christian Readers: Contest 1 10 Jul 05, 2012 07:48AM
  • Cannons of the Comstock (Saga of the Sierras #5)
  • Sunrise on the Battery
  • The Christmas Pony
  • Choices of the Heart (The Midwives, #3)
  • Beyond Molasses Creek
  • The River Queen (Water Wheel #1)
  • All for a Song
  • The River Rose (Water Wheel #2)
  • The Good Nearby
  • The Anniversary Waltz
  • River of Mercy (The Riverhaven Years, #3)
  • House of Mercy
  • Every Hill and Mountain (History Mystery #3)
  • Christmas at Holly Hill
  • Not This Time (Crossroads Crisis Center, #3)
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • When Hope Blossoms
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)