Start by marking “Shades of Blue” as Want to Read:
Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue (Evan Horne #6)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  13 reviews
After several months of successful work in London and Amsterdam with American expatriate Fletcher Paige, Evan Horne returns to the states and settles in the San Francisco Bay Area. There he reunites with his girlfriend, FBI agent, Andie Lawrence. And Evan quickly makes inroads into the Bay Area jazz scene. Life is good until a phone call from a Los Angeles attorney turns h ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Blue

Kathleen Hagen
Shades of Blue, by Bill Moody, B-plus, Narrated by Grover Gardner, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is a smooth relaxing read about a jazz pianist who apparently has also worked with the FBI, you probably have to suspend belief, and this takes place in previous books, I assume. This is my first Bill Moody and I will read more. This book was full of references to the jazz greats of the late ‘40’s and early ‘50’s, my favorite jazz era. Grover Gardner is one of the mos
Christine
Learned a whole lot about jazz and got inspired to buy Miles Davis "The Birth of Cool" album afterwards. It didn't really seem like a mystery novel though, more like a book about jazz music that had a dash of suspenseful "things" thrown in: a secret about the past, unknown music crib sheets, preserved recordings of rehearsal sets with Miles Davis, missing laptops.... There's a lot in there, but the plot was rather hum-drum, parts of it predictable to anyone who reads mysteries regularly. However ...more
Carol
Aug 26, 2008 Carol rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jazz lovers & mystery readers
I wanted very much to like this book because I met the author at UNLV when he was a TA there in the late 70's. The jazz references were great, but I felt the story was predictable, and there wasn't the depth of characterization that I'd prefer. Moody spent far too much time writing about the food the characters ate, and too little time developing believable, interesting characters. It did inspire me to dig out my Miles Davis CD's, and I enjoyed listening to them as I read the book.
Ben Campbell
Moody's writing is concise. Soft on characterizations, hard on plotting, soft on segways, hard on situations. Spontaneity and uncertainties didn't compromise his story, but a few disconnected, unnecessary happenings did. There was passion and purpose and facts. I enjoyed this work but surprise was just a twinkle in this fiction. That's probably how life goes, anyway.
Doctor Sax
As a major Jazz fan I love the constant and accurate backdrop/references of 'America's classical music'. Truly legendary recordings by Miles Davis such as 'Birth of the Cool' & 'Kind of Blue' are actually part of a very intriguing storyline. Moody really captures the scene well and I rank him as a personal favorite among detective writers.
Melinda
Great mystery and oh boy, he's got a bunch of books featuring a jazz pianist detective. my lucky day. Well written, obviously knows alot about jazz (I kept going to the computer to listen to tunes he mentioned) a little suspense, but not scary for this cozy mystery reader.
Diane
Bill Evans captures the feeling of the Jazz community in his books, I really enjoy his writing, settings and characters, wrapped around a mystery related to famous jazz musicians.
Christopher Struck
Another great Evan Horne mystery from Bill Moody. We learn a lot more about Evan in this installment. Another book in the series is due out in 2011.
E
More interesting as a book about the jazz scene than as a mystery, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Carl Brookins
I really like Bill Moody and his approach to moody crime fiction about the music biz.
Tim
Reviewed for PW but I can't remember it at all!
Susan
Feb 15, 2009 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Per Melinda's recommendation. . .
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Danilane
Danilane marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
David Anderson
David Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bill Moody is a mystery author and professional jazz drummer. He is the author of Shades of Blue, Looking for Chet Baker, Bird Lives! and three other Evan Horne novels.

Series:
* Evan Horne
More about Bill Moody...

Evan Horne (7 books)
  • Solo Hand
  • Death of a Tenor Man
  • Sound of the Trumpet (Evan Horne Mysteries)
  • Bird Lives!