Start by marking “Ciudad de ceniza (Cazadores de sombras, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ciudad de ceniza (Cazadores de sombras, #2)

Ciudad de ceniza (The Mortal Instruments #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  404,259 ratings  ·  16,695 reviews
Si Clary Fray pudiera dejar atrás el mundo de los cazadores de sombras, tendría más tiempo para Simon, su mejor amigo, que se está convirtiendo en algo más. Pero ni el mundo subterráneo ni ese apuesto y exasperante Jace están preparados para dejarla ir. Además una ola de asesinatos sacude la ciudad. Clary cree que Valentine está detrás, pero Jace parece dispuesto a traicio ...more
Published 2009 by Círculo de Lectores (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ciudad de ceniza, please sign up.

Caitlin The first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events…moreThe first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events more than they could in a movie.(less)
Javita Dude, you will be blown off your butt. But if you haven't read the first one, City of Bones, then drop everything ( yes, even that new laptop and…moreDude, you will be blown off your butt. But if you haven't read the first one, City of Bones, then drop everything ( yes, even that new laptop and beats) and run to the nearest libraria. Then, and only then, will you be ready for the amazingness that is The Mortal Instruments series. This is no opinion, it is fact.(less)

Patrick
This book cost me around 600 dollars.

When I'm traveling to and from conventions, I use the airplane time to catch up on my reading. A lot of times this means I'm taking the opportunity to read books that have been popular for a while, but that I haven't gotten around to. I feel like I should be aware of the landscape.

Anyway, on my way home from Seattle, I had a layover in Minneapolis. I grabbed this book so I'd have something to read while I was eating dinner in the airport.

So I ate dinner, a
John Egbert
John no longer uses this account. I have no patience for this bullshit any longer. There are many ways to state an opinion that is in disagreement with this review, and so far, many of you have FAILED to do so. I will no longer tolerate disparaging comments. Rethink them if you don't want me to delete them.

Thanks,
John's Sister

PS: John is not male. She changed her gender status so she would not receive misogynistic comments, or gendered insults. JFYI.

I will tell the complete and honest truth. An
Choco
--Warning: negative review--

(view spoiler)
SKB
Cara
Jan 31, 2014 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Victoria
I didn't go online, hardly talked, didn't eat (ok so I did eat), didn't watch TV just so I could finish this book. So basically I spent the whole day reading and I'm just bursting at the seams to read the next one.

The tension in the book is so great that you feel like the characters are literally going to break from the strain. Clary's mother is still in a coma and her relationships with Simon and Jace are fragile. At one point you just feel so down for everyone. Clary seemed to be getting in th
Elle
Well that was awkward.

*** SPOILERGRAM***

But before we head down the path of outrageous incest, I will say that City of Ashes was better than City of Bones. The pace was an improvement on that of the latter. Simon was still awesome as ever. I also felt that Ms Clare branched out a wee bit with her creativity with the Vampire transformation stuff, (except that I knew it was coming thanks to a certain Filipino minx who spilt the beans in a comment. You know who you are).

As for the abomination that
Kira
Do you see how fanfiction writers always seem to improve really, really drastically from chapter to chapter of their online work as the hate mail rolls in?

Do you see how hundreds of thousands of people complaining about the exact same thing can encourage change?

Do you see how only a thousand good internet deeds can erase one terrible one?

Do you see how Tumblr is a really good platform for building a fanbase?

Do you see how sometimes, if a joke is good enough, it can be funny more than once?

Do you
sunset shimmer
I can't do it. I just can't.

Screw this series.

My problem with this series isn't the writing. I'm not one to judge books by the writing since I am pretty terrible at it myself. My problem also isn't exactly the story, which I probably could like. Sort of. I think. I don't know. But anyways, my main problem isn't any of that.

It's the characters.

How can you continue with a series when you feel nothing but pure hatred towards the characters? They all just infuriated me to no end. Jace Wayland especi
Rose
I'm beginning to understand why people prefer Jace Wayland to Edward Cullen.

I have to OH SNAP the ending. Is it March yet? I want City of Glass NOW.
Vi Vi
"That when he thought, really thought, about the fact that he might never get to kiss Clary again, he wanted to die or hurt or bleed so badly he’d go up to the attic and train alone for hours until he was so exhausted he had no choice but to pass out, exhausted."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"He’d have bruises in the morning, bruises and cuts and scraped skin and if he could have named all his injuries they would have had the same name: Clary, Clary, Clary."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

"If there had ever been any ho
Andi
City of Ashes, on the whole, is a much more cohesive piece that City of Bones. That said, I had two major problems with the text.

The first major problem I had was with the role of adult characters in the book. There was a constant dichotomy of 'with the main characters equals good' and 'against the main characters equal bad/evil' and life is never that simple. Luke, who always supports Clary, Simon, and Jace is firmly in the 'good' category. Maryse is slightly different. In the beginning of the
Jamie
****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CITY OF BONES****

This is an outstanding follow-up to City of Bones. In City of Ashes, we find Jace and Clarey dealing with the personal fall-out from City of Bones, Alec and Isabelle not as visible but are still included, Simon still mackin' on Clarey but finds his own bit of trouble, and Magnus Bane cementing himself as the flamboyant, awesome warlock I knew he would be. And then there's the psychopathic Valentine....grrrr....

"You think she'll be able to
Kira
I love trolls! Trolly troll trolls! Down into my comment box! Trolls trolls trolls!

It's interesting, you know. Watching the different breeds of troll try to defend each individual train-wreck piece of YA shitcrack in the comments box of some unsuspecting reviewer is an excellent life experience.

For example, Fallen trolls are very distinctive in that they'll try to sound smart and probably tell you that you have no life, but they'll misspell most of what they write and they'll forget how to make
Jasmine
4.5 STARS! ★★★★☆

Book 2 really picks up from the first one and if it wasn't for my real life work, I would have enjoyed reading this in one complete sitting, loved it!

I was already sucked in from the first chapter as it starts off very eerily with the introduction of Agramon (this demon reminds me of a Boggart in HP but much more scary!). With Valentine making his intentions loud and clear to the Clave and all Downworlders alike, horrendous killings are popping up everywhere and Valentine shows
Marcy Jo
Let's be honest. It doesn't matter HOW many times I read this book, even knowing how things will work out in City of Glass, the epilogue still makes me want to throw things against the wall EVERY TIME I read it! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Um...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I feel a new obsession coming on. I can't get these books and characters out of my HEAD! I loved it so very very much, I couldn't stop reading. And now that I'm done reading, I'm going to listen to the audiobooks. Seriously , I'm in love
Andrea Caro
May 14, 2012 Andrea Caro marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, ebook
I am sorry. I have better things to do than read this. Like clean my bathroom with a toothbrush, get a root canal, or slowly kill myself by mixing Drano in my soup. Peace outs.
Steph Sinclair

*sigh*
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact that my taste in YA novels are changing. Maybe it's because since reading the first MI book in 2009, I have read so many better book series. Whatever the reason, CC just does not impress me. The writing is bad and she has poor use of similes.

I didn't feel the love Jace felt for Clary. If anything, I felt downright embarrassed that Jace was pinning over his "sister" and pretty much not caring. All the while, Simon is in the corner about to be s
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Do not touch this book if you value your brain cells.
The following review is filled with spoilers, whining, complaining, ranting, and the destruction of everything people love about this series. Please read responsibly.

When last we left our intrepid heroes, Clary "Mary Sue" Frey discovered she was part of a super special group of people called Shadowhunters. (That should be two words, by the way.) She falls for shmexy jerk-face Jace, only to find out that he is her brother and that they are the long lost children of stock baddie, Valent... Oh, I c
Karin
CITY OF ASHES is the much anticipated sequel to last year’s City of Bones. Never have I been more excited to get a book in the mail. I have to admit, I was looking forward to CITY OF ASHES even more than when I was waiting for Harry Potter 7.

Re-entering the world of the Shadowhunters was thrilling. Clary and Jace are dealing with their father’s theft of the Angel’s Cup and are continuing to struggle with the fact that they are brother and sister.

In CITY OF ASHES we meet Alec and Izzy’s parents w
the scarecrow
I hate the name-dropping, the shallow references, the GOD-DAMN 'love-triangle' between Simon and Jace and Clary, and the ABSURD case of Speshul Snoflake syndrome this book seems to suffer from.

Dear Mother Nature,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the publishing industry for the trees that gave their lives to produce such filth. It's cruel, careless and most of all disrespectful. I know my apologies don't matter very much, but I'd like to offer them just the same. I've lost all faith in manki
Lexa

JacexClary:

Plot:

Me:

The end.

(Maybe one day, when I grow up and become a real girl, I'll write a proper review)
Thomas
"City of Ashes" is the sequel to City of Bones, and the series so far is about Clarissa Fray, a shadowhunter girl who is in the midst of a large war between Valentine and his demon horde, and the Clave, the society that keeps downworlders like vampires/werewolves and shadowhunters in order. Not to mention that Clary might be in love with her brother, Jace. Also, she goes through some friendship issues with her best friend Simon. And, her mom is in a coma, her dad is an evil demon lord, and her b ...more
Jen
Once again I was entralled with Cassandra Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series! This is the second book and what an adventure it was! There is so much that is happening, that even though the book is on the longer side; you'd never know it. I wasn't bored at any time during my read.
I was disappointed to find that Clary and Jace are brother and sister; as their attraction for each other literally lights sparks off the page! I'm hoping as the story progresses, they will find out there has been a mis
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

While Clary tries to come to grip with the way her life has turned upside down and struggles with her feelings for Jace, while Jace tries to deal with the Inquisitor who doesn't believe he was oblivious to his father's grand plans and struggles with his feelings for Clary, Valentine strikes again with a new evil plan. War is coming.

I remember reading in a book that the most dangerous bad guys are the ones on a crusade. Bad guys motivated by money or power can be dealt with but bad guys with a "h
Lora
Jan 07, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of this series
Shelves: g-ya-paranorm
CAUTION: Some minor spoilers ahead for those who've not yet read this.

Everyone seems to love this series, and even though I enjoyed the first installment immensely, I didn't want to get my hopes up by setting my expectations too high for this installment (considering I've been burned on sequels quite a few times: e.g. Torment, Blue Moon, Captivate, etc . . .). But, I'm very happy to report that I FREAKING LOVED THIS! (Hence the all caps;) Really, though, with a leading male character like Jace?
Margaret Stohl

You either love Mortal Instruments or you don't. I do, so check out my City of Bones review to see what I think of the series. CC is a gifted world builder who constantly reminds me that reading is always supposed to feel this entertaining.
Zero vi Britannia
WITH SPOILERS!!

The reason I'm writing this before my more detailed review of City of Bones is because I have no wish to reread City of Ashes.
Now onto my review (Edit: more like synopsis):

Simon's a vampire. There's some chick named Maia. Clary can draw runes. Jace and Clary have known each other less than a month and their love is so strong that it overrides the fact that they think they're related. A fairy queen makes Jace and Clary kiss. Alec loves Magnus. Maryse and the Inquisitor are such b**
Lady Danielle
*rubs temples* Never again. I give up on this series. I can't take it any more. I'm done. Please, don't tell me to continue or I'll scream. So many things wrong with Clare's writing/storyline -- so many .How dare the starred reviewers say this is areminiscent to Harry Potter -- how dare they. This is nothing compared to Harry Potter, nothing. The only reason this story sometimes reminded you of the HP series is because Clare copied .

This characters and the story itself are terribly crafted.
I wan
Kassidy
Ahhh so good so good. I loved learning about all the different kinds of 'Downworlders' like the fairies, werewolves, and vampires. I feel like they were introduced in the first book, but then really played major roles in this one. The dialogue between the characters was great and the action did not disappoint! The character development is steadily growing and I'm excited to see where the plot goes. Wonderful sequel, can't wait to start the next one!
PurplyCookie
I do wish that this scene was not deleted when the book was published.

It gives the reader a glimpse at who Magnus Bane was via a little teaser of his background concerning the Silent Brothers. But ultimately what the reader became deprived of was a chance to see Isabelle in a new light and not just that of a bitchy glamourous Shadowhunter. Kudos for standing up to the Inquisitor's verbal onslaught!

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

TitleCity of
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
9980 likes
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
8172 likes