Start by marking “Father Frank” as Want to Read:
Father Frank

Father Frank

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Father Frank is the story of a Roman Catholic, taxi-driving priest who harbours an almightly secret: he doesn't believe in God. His life is hugely successful, if a little unconventional until Sarah hops into his cab and his life.
Published 2002 by Flame (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Father Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Frank

Elaine
I have just been going through another bout of depression fuelled non reading as my ability to concentrate becomes seriously affected. The books I had been reading were either too studious or too long to tempt me back so when I expressed a desire for a quick light read my husband handed me this little gem.
A Roman Catholic priest who is actually agnostic and yet hugely successful in his parish life leads to a great story , very funny in places, realistic portrayal of human nature and with the int
Anne
Yet again, a book that has been sitting on my shelf for around 3 years that I absolutely adored - why do I do that? Why do I let these books linger unread for so long?
I laughed out loud within the first 3 pages, and continued to laugh all the way through, until the end where I cried - not because it's sad, but because despite the humour, the ending is perfect and wonderful and made me go all warm and gooey!!
If you are Catholic, you will nod your head in agreement many times, if you are Irish Cat
Joseph
I am a great fan of books written about life in the UK; even more so if they were Irish and Scottish ones. Thus, when I came across Paul Burke’s Father Frank I read it earnestly. The book was gloriously funny and enlightening.

This was a life of an Irish boy growing up in England, in the 70s, which eventually led to his Catholic priesthood. The story itself was not fabulous but intrigued me nonetheless. You see, the boy definitely did not have faith to start with but he became a very good priest
I enjoyed this debut novel. Some interesting philosophical questions, if you want to be deep and meaningful; or a lighthearted comedy romance. Whichever way you take it it left me wanting to read more by this author.
Ruth Bradbury-Horton
I absolutely love this book. It is one of my all time favourites, so much so that when my dog chewed up my copy I went out and bought a new one.

Discoverylover
I really enjoyed it! A really funny book - I loved Father Frank! I was laughing throughout the whole book, and was really wondering what would happen at the end - but it was an awesome ending :D

I'm going to have to see if Paul has written anything else!

The person who I'm staying with in Kents mother has said she'd like to read it, so I'm going to release it to her :-)
Sherry
Paul Burke writes a wondefully warm, engaging story that explores the complexities of relationships and ponders the meaning of spirituality in the modern world. I really enjoyed how he incorporates music. Reading this book gave me a fresh perspective on life. And I can't remember when last a book made me laugh as loudly as Father Frank did.
Kezia
One of the best books I have ever read. Father Frank is a character who despite his questionable reasons for joining the priesthood, is actually a decent and selfless human being, forgoing his own pleasure for that of helping others genuinely despite not believing in Christ.
Debbie Townend
Jul 23, 2007 Debbie Townend rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: definitely
This book was absolutely hilarious. I couldn't put it down. It showed a huge insight by the author into the Catholic faith but also a great writing style. Quite a light read.
Philippa Madden
A taxi driving priest. This book made me laugh out loud within the first few pages. A lovely light book full of humour but still full of substance.
Aisyah Saharani
paul burke proved that he can write a very good book. i enjoyed reading this one and im looking up fr another book by paul.
Sunne
Still charming, still nice.

Only bit that was annoying: Why did the author everytime mention the freshly washed hair of Sarah?
Nerisa
The book was funny!! But I didn't like the ending! Just find something else to read. haha:D
William Mankelow
Thoughly enjoyable read, made me laugh out loud at points. Very much recommended.
Maxine Levett
Lovely, brilliant, made me laugh, couldn't put down until the end. A feel good book.
Mandy
loved it. i found the catholic humor very funny and the story very enjoyable.
James
Brilliant, humourous, read it in one sitting...could not put it down!
Issi
Very funny. Catholics in the 60s and 70s in London.
Elizabeth Downes
Want my friends to read this. Charming and different.
Rosa
Hazel Scott
Father Frank is a catholic priest who doesn't believe in God.

He's such a lovable character, drives a taxi around London to raise funds and gets all the builders from the local Irish community to give their services for free to restore the church hall. Everything's going swimmingly until Sarah Marshall gets in his cab and starts to challenge his vows.

I loved this, a nice easy weekend read, you can't help but get into Frank's head. All the way through I pictured him being played by the guy who pla
Cheryl
Really cute
Martin Richards
Martin Richards marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
ANNE
ANNE added it
Jul 27, 2015
Gay
Gay marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • The Mozart Question
  • Shalimar
  • A Blackbird in Silver
  • A Parrot in the Pepper Tree
  • Cave Canem (Felidae, #3)
  • Touching Distance
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • A Mother's Love
  • Dead But Still Ticking: A Buckeye Barrister Mystery
  • The Borribles Go For Broke (The Borrible Trilogy #2)
  • Gevatter Tod / Wachen! Wachen!
  • Knowing (Return of the Nine, #1)
  • How To Be Married
His advertising work has won him almost every award in industry including campaigns for Barclaycard, VW, PG Tips, British Gas and Budweiser. At the same time he pursued a parallel career as a DJ on radio, in clubs and has worked for LBC, GLR and Heart 106.2. He has also written for the Guardian, Tatler and The Sunday Times.
More about Paul Burke...
Untorn Tickets The Man Who Fell In Love With His Wife The Life Of Reilly Paul Burke's Neo Dieter's Handbook: When We Lost Our Nutritional Roots; Where To Find These Foods Today U.F.B.