Start by marking “Father Frank” as Want to Read:
Father Frank

Father Frank

Father Frank is the story of a Roman Catholic, taxi-driving priest who harbours an almightly secret: he doesn't believe in God. His life is hugely successful, if a little unconventional until Sarah hops into his cab and his life.
Published 2002 by Flame (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Father Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Frank

Elaine
Jun 07, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
I have just been going through another bout of depression fuelled non reading as my ability to concentrate becomes seriously affected. The books I had been reading were either too studious or too long to tempt me back so when I expressed a desire for a quick light read my husband handed me this little gem.
A Roman Catholic priest who is actually agnostic and yet hugely successful in his parish life leads to a great story , very funny in places, realistic portrayal of human nature and with the int
Anne
Oct 25, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing
Yet again, a book that has been sitting on my shelf for around 3 years that I absolutely adored - why do I do that? Why do I let these books linger unread for so long?
I laughed out loud within the first 3 pages, and continued to laugh all the way through, until the end where I cried - not because it's sad, but because despite the humour, the ending is perfect and wonderful and made me go all warm and gooey!!
If you are Catholic, you will nod your head in agreement many times, if you are Irish Cat
Joseph
Jan 02, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of books written about life in the UK; even more so if they were Irish and Scottish ones. Thus, when I came across Paul Burke’s Father Frank I read it earnestly. The book was gloriously funny and enlightening.

This was a life of an Irish boy growing up in England, in the 70s, which eventually led to his Catholic priesthood. The story itself was not fabulous but intrigued me nonetheless. You see, the boy definitely did not have faith to start with but he became a very good priest
Hazel Scott
Aug 26, 2008 Hazel Scott rated it really liked it
Father Frank is a catholic priest who doesn't believe in God.

He's such a lovable character, drives a taxi around London to raise funds and gets all the builders from the local Irish community to give their services for free to restore the church hall. Everything's going swimmingly until Sarah Marshall gets in his cab and starts to challenge his vows.

I loved this, a nice easy weekend read, you can't help but get into Frank's head. All the way through I pictured him being played by the guy who pla
Eileen
Mar 29, 2016 Eileen rated it really liked it
Funny read about a young man who goes into the priesthood because there is nothing else he is good at and this is the only viable option.... Frank doesn't believe in God. Everyone loves him. He gets things donel He drives a taxi left to him by a parishoner; donations instead of fares are taken.
There's just one thing ... Father Frank has just met a woman who makes his heart pound.
From his studying theology at uni to his ultimate decision at the end, it is a great and often amusing read.
Sherry
Jul 25, 2007 Sherry rated it really liked it
Paul Burke writes a wondefully warm, engaging story that explores the complexities of relationships and ponders the meaning of spirituality in the modern world. I really enjoyed how he incorporates music. Reading this book gave me a fresh perspective on life. And I can't remember when last a book made me laugh as loudly as Father Frank did.
Discoverylover
I really enjoyed it! A really funny book - I loved Father Frank! I was laughing throughout the whole book, and was really wondering what would happen at the end - but it was an awesome ending :D

I'm going to have to see if Paul has written anything else!

The person who I'm staying with in Kents mother has said she'd like to read it, so I'm going to release it to her :-)
Jo
Aug 14, 2016 Jo rated it liked it
his is a story about a Roman Catholic priest who runs his North London parish whilst harbouring an almighty secret: he doesn't believe in God. This doesn't stop him from being hugely successful, if a little unconventional in his work. He raises money by driving a London taxi and everything is going well until Sarah hops into his cab and into his life.
Feb 06, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this debut novel. Some interesting philosophical questions, if you want to be deep and meaningful; or a lighthearted comedy romance. Whichever way you take it it left me wanting to read more by this author.
Kezia
Sep 25, 2012 Kezia rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Father Frank is a character who despite his questionable reasons for joining the priesthood, is actually a decent and selfless human being, forgoing his own pleasure for that of helping others genuinely despite not believing in Christ.
Maxine Levett
Nov 17, 2013 Maxine Levett rated it it was amazing
Lovely, brilliant, made me laugh, couldn't put down until the end. A feel good book.
Aisyah Saharani
May 26, 2009 Aisyah Saharani rated it it was amazing
paul burke proved that he can write a very good book. i enjoyed reading this one and im looking up fr another book by paul.
Philippa Madden
Nov 15, 2013 Philippa Madden rated it really liked it
A taxi driving priest. This book made me laugh out loud within the first few pages. A lovely light book full of humour but still full of substance.
Ruth Bradbury-Horton
Jun 20, 2014 Ruth Bradbury-Horton rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It is one of my all time favourites, so much so that when my dog chewed up my copy I went out and bought a new one.

Issi
Aug 06, 2011 Issi rated it really liked it
Very funny. Catholics in the 60s and 70s in London.
Debbie Townend
Jul 23, 2007 Debbie Townend rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: definitely
This book was absolutely hilarious. I couldn't put it down. It showed a huge insight by the author into the Catholic faith but also a great writing style. Quite a light read.
Mandy
May 08, 2008 Mandy rated it really liked it
loved it. i found the catholic humor very funny and the story very enjoyable.
Neri
Sep 20, 2013 Neri rated it it was ok
The book was funny!! But I didn't like the ending! Just find something else to read. haha:D
James
Nov 09, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, humourous, read it in one sitting...could not put it down!
Sunne
Oct 30, 2010 Sunne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2005, 2010, reread
Still charming, still nice.

Only bit that was annoying: Why did the author everytime mention the freshly washed hair of Sarah?
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Really cute
Elizabeth Downes
Want my friends to read this. Charming and different.
Rosa
Oct 12, 2010 Rosa rated it really liked it
Xander
Xander rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2011
Kati
Kati rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
tara j dhibi
tara j dhibi rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Yve
Yve rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Broken Wings
Nov 03, 2015 Broken Wings rated it really liked it
I liked it. :) A witty book full of surprises and new thoughts. :)
David Bell
David Bell rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
  • The Service of Clouds
  • Six Bedrooms
  • The Education of Hyman Kaplan
  • Something So Right
  • Das Duell (Felidae, #4)
  • Winter Heart
  • Orlando ; Mrs Dalloway ; To The Lighthouse
  • Animal People
  • Taps at Reveille
  • Home
His advertising work has won him almost every award in industry including campaigns for Barclaycard, VW, PG Tips, British Gas and Budweiser. At the same time he pursued a parallel career as a DJ on radio, in clubs and has worked for LBC, GLR and Heart 106.2. He has also written for the Guardian, Tatler and The Sunday Times.
More about Paul Burke...