Start by marking “Mother Teresa” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A sensitive, perceptive biography written with Mother Teresa's full cooperation and encouragement. Describes this living saint's mission of faith and the principles that guide her.
Published October 1st 1996 by Element Books (first published October 12th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Teresa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Teresa

Katie
I read this book years ago - it came into my life at a time I needed it - I enjoyed the book and was humbled by all that she gave - with that said there is a part of me that is sad that she gave up so much and that after her death her writings detailed how detached she felt from God - this was depressing to me on many levels - I do think anyone with a brain questions - but I do not believe God is about scarcity but is about abundance - for someone to give all of themselves and have so little joy ...more
Mandi
What an inspiring person! I wish I could have met her.
Robin
Nov 26, 2007 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I have great respect for her. Her Christ-like charity is an example for everyone. This book is so moving.
Amarilis
Such a remarkable woman.
Anil Swarup
Very rarely do you come across personalities who dedicated their lives for selfless service on the scale as Mother Teresa. What the book does so beautifully is to portray her persona so vividly. This could have only been done by someone who knew her well and took the trouble to know her. Various instance narrated in the book are touching. They create an indelible impression on the mind of the reader. Eminent personalities and institutions have honoured and described Mother Teresa but the one pro ...more
Chris
Wow! I have read other reviews that remark a Christian should have written her biography. Navin is a Hindu, but refers to himself as "near atheist". Who better to write a biography than one who is sceptical? He writes of the facts, which include miracles that occur everyday. Mother Teresa herself tells him about these miracles, "if you pray, you will see them". He writes facts which no one can dispute. Main point, God can use anyone to accomplish His will.
§--
"My power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor 12:9)

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Cor 13)

This is a description of love, of Our Lord, of holiness, and to the extent that Our Lord dwells in us (His Power),
Isabella
everybody should find out about her
Jamie
This woman was amazing, she had no agenda, no grand plan, no wealth and no followers. She simply saw a need, and gave her all to address it. In the process she accumulated the love and adoration of millions, inspired thousands of volunteers, and established centers for the poor and disadvantaged all around the world. A complete contradiction to what our society values today, she shunned wealth and materiality, she was humiliated by attention, recognition and awards, and preferred the power of ac ...more
Brandon Stiver
Obviously an incredibly inspiring story about a woman that probably inspired more good in people in the 20th century than any other person that I can think of. It was so great to just hear the details of each of her ministries in India and beyond. You always hear her great quotes, but it was just good to hear the overarching story of her life for a frame of reference.

My only "knock" on the book was the author. He was good, because of his relationship with Mother Teresa, but as a follower of Chr
Georgie Mathew
There might be so many distractors to the greatness of this simple lady, but I , for one, do not have any doubts as to this woman, in flesh and blood, was one of the angels of God. As Einstein said about Gandhi, "future generations may find it hard to believe that such a soul walked on earth in human flesh."

I should tell you frankly that tears sprang up from me in many of the pages of the book and I was finding it difficult to not let other people see it, in train and bus and in other public pla
Anshika
A touching biography of an extra-ordinary soul. The book takes you on a journey through Mother's love, sacrifice, hardships and courage. The detailing is exquisite although the nuances of the Papal order jargon may distract and confuse a casual reader. The author's own experiences and his equation with Mother are woven intricately throughout the book that makes the book come alive to the reader.
deejah
I read it because my kid had to read it for high school. It was interesting. She had a full and giving life.
Daiki Matsumoto
Penguin
It took 90 minutes
- peace, donate, love, human, sister, kind, help,

- Do you want to help poor children?
- Yes, I do.

- Mother Teresa is famous for kind person. She told us how importance of love. I like her saying. I respect her idea which she gives food in airplane to poor children.
Marty
Actually a nice book, with a great deal of information on the wide range of work done by Mother Theresa....a good biography. While she has critics, she and her team of all sorts of volunteers and supporters have made life better literally for millions of poor people.
I gave this copy of my book to my daughter, Menekshe, on her 14th birthday....when we lived in india, shortly after we met mother theresa in Pakistan. And then of course, mother theresa then died a few years later. menekshe's photo
Sibgha
I loved the fact that the book was in the truest sense about Mother Teresa's work, and from how the writer has put it, it seems this was what Mother wanted too. The stories of the sick, suffering, dying, leprosy afflicted, orphaned, amputated and various others in Mother's homes and centers the world over have been beautifully and poignantly chronicled. Each story arouses images of naked pain and suffering. Every turn of page had me swallowing the lump in my throat. A nice book indeed and so ver ...more
Tri
~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~ Mother Teresa

truly inspiring! it became so evident to me how one humble little heart could change the world. She always refered to herself as a mere instrument of God and all the work was done by God. This amazing woman has services that take care of almost every need. no one is left out. From the dying, the homeless, leprosy victims, to drug and alcohol rehab services. Everything created without a bank account. Loved i
Kay Johnson
A definitive biography of Mother Teresa. I'm reading this one in a book club with a few friends. She is an intriguing character, certainly admirable and compelling. I am sometimes confused with what seems a fascination with suffering, but I am perhaps misreading her. I certainly will not presume to judge her! I am taking away some good lessons about serving those around me as a gift of love to Jesus, even if those around me are not always lovable.
Rusty-11780
Oct 06, 2010 Rusty-11780 rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Rusty-11780 by: no one
MT loves the church and she loves god, but she only loves the poor as proxies for Jesus. MT said that without her suffering for god, all the work she did was JUST social work. She provided inadequate medical care, she took large amounts of money from unsavory donors, and she secretly did unrequested death bed baptisms to increase her body/soul count for jesus. The more I read about her, the more I find that she is no Mother Teresa.
Scott
Read this before my trip to Calcutta. Finished the book in one day, and looked up to see that it was the same day as the anniversary of her death. If there are other heroes in the world, they must look upwards at Ma T. Visited and volunteered at Motherhouse and Home for the Dying. If you aren't religious, you may give it some thought after being at either of these places.
Jaime Contreras
This was a detailed autobiography of the humble Yugoslavian girl who became the beloved Mother Theresa, patron saint of the poor of India. While well-written, it is the saintly woman's struggles and love for mankind that holds the reader's interest. After reading this book, one will know the godly servant as a human being who was a slefless servant of those with nothng.
Jen Shank
I love Mother Teresa like everyone else on the planet but I feel this author was a novice at best and failed to pull me in. That being said, Mother Teresa still managed to shine through enough for me to love her even more.
Angie
I read this book several years ago for a college class and was very touched and inspired by Mother Theresa's stories and messages. This is an insightful book for anyone no matter what their religious beliefs may be.
Meg
I enjoyed reading the life story and work of Mother Teresa. Interesting and a woman to be admired for what she did for the poor and dying! Her life was one of service for others and love of God.
Lauren
Reading about all Mother Teresa has done, makes me want to do better at finding ways to help the poor, sick, handicapped, etc. She saw a need and found ways to make it possible to help.
Rohit Mishra
The biography of Mother Teresa, it is very detailed and will tell you a lot about her life, work and what she did and why she did it. This is a must read book on Mother Teresa.
Tiffany Honn
Fascinating Woman, this book is interesting but not necessarily a page turner. It gave me a humbling perspective on life and a desire to be more charitable.
Lisa
This read like a history book and not a biography. The author didn't make Mother Teresa come alive as a person.
Dhanaraj Rajan
A good introduction on Mother Teresa and her work. An inspiring biography for a Christian.
Brendaarmenta
it was a very touching book what she did was so cute and i think she is just an amazing person.
  • An Autobiography: Toward Freedom
  • Truth, Love and a Little Malice
  • Simplify and Create Abundance
  • Mother Teresa: In My Own Words
  • The Indians: Portrait Of A People
  • On Grace and Free Will
  • Gandhi Before India
  • A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai: Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb
  • The Life of St. Anthony
  • Autobiography of Yukichi Fukuzawa
  • Joan of Arc
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi
  • A History of Ancient and Early Medieval India : From the Stone Age to the 12th Century
  • Catherine of Siena
  • Fides Et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason: Encyclical Letter of John Paul II
  • The Principal Upanishads
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
Faith and Compassion: The Life and Work of Mother Teresa Mother Theresa