Start by marking “Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices” as Want to Read:
Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the lumber camp days & pioneer days the cooks learned from each other & from the old world cooks. Each taught the other his countrys cooking secrets. Out of the mixing came fine food, prepared as nowhere else in the world. This book includes some of these recipes that you will not find in cookbooks plus many other historical recipes. It includes meats, fish, egg ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Ecco Press (first published January 1969)

Be the first to ask a question about Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

Dan
Jul 16, 2007 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People fascinated by the mentally ill
How to begin? This is possibly the most incoherent, bizarre, misinformed, misanthropic, and unintentionally hilarious cookbook ever written . . . insofar as it can be called a cookbook at all. Having written the last two sentences, I feel I have failed to invoke the truly awesome idiocy of this book. Perhaps a few quotes from the inimitable Mr. Herter will serve to clarify:

"The flavor of truffles is about the same as that of the mushrooms raised here in North America commercially, in fact our m
Scott
Jan 01, 2012 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Holy god was this an AMAZING find at the used bookstore. While a little tough due to a disregard for commas, it's an amazing book to read out loud. With the Myan prediction of the world ending in 2012, I found the sections on what to do if a nuclear winter should occur particularly helpful.

I'd be a miss not to also give the virgin mother a shout out for her spinach recipe.

Also, it's golden. Literally.
Hank Lancet
Not long before my grandfather passed away a few years ago, he gave me this odd book, telling me that it was full of some of the best recipes around...along with some other useful tidbits.

In particular, he recommended the Oysters Rockefeller at Galatoire's in New Orleans, which is mentioned in detail on pp. 98-102, along with the bio of the waiter there at the time, who was "New Orleans' most accomplished waiter" because he was a good waiter who not only understood food, but would refuse to serv
Jerry
Mere words cannot describe this authentic relic of the nuclear era. Whether you want the Virgin Mary’s favorite spinach recipe or how to prepare for a cobalt bomb, Herter covers it, keeping “as much in alphabetical order as possible.”
Heretic
Half of this book is utter bullshit. The other half is useful tips that made my cooking better. You have to filter by trying some of his tricks and ignore his constant use of "this is the best and only way to prepare this dish" and instead consider its merits, as most of the recipes are extremes of one kind or another. Useful extremes, however. With 30+ years of cooking experience, I actually found many of his ideas had some merit and tried them, finding some surprisingly good outcomes which has ...more
Jess
This '60’s cookbook takes you all across the US ( but mostly New Orleans) and introduces you to regional cookingans special dishes (Senate Bean Soup). It also instructs you how to make a variety of wines and cordials ( dandelion and parsnip for example). Really interesting. I want to show this to my grandma and see if she ever heard of it.
Ferd
This is one of my favorite books, although I have yet to try any of the recipes --- not even Spinach Mother Of Christ. It's a well known fact that spinach was the Virgin Mary's favorite vegetable.

One of my favorite things about Herter's books is that so many of them feature pictures of toddlers holding shotguns posing by dead animals.
Daniel
Jul 14, 2010 Daniel added it
Excellent
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Dean Cummings
Dean Cummings marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Andrew Wilkinson
Andrew Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Melissa Turvey
Melissa Turvey marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Dolores (Lola) Cowie
Dolores (Lola) Cowie marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sophia Case-Gabbard
Sophia Case-Gabbard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Patsy Mogush
Patsy Mogush marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Grupo Dental
Grupo Dental marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jorgen
Jorgen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
Aug 09, 2014
Adam Corvo
Adam Corvo marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Lucie Moulton
Lucie Moulton marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
KT
KT marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Tulay Tuncay
Tulay Tuncay marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Chazmodium
Chazmodium marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
How to Live With a Bitch Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices, Vol. 3 George The Housewife Secret Fresh and Salt Water Fishing Tricks Professional guide's manual