Start by marking “Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries #1)

Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries #1)

Christopher thinks he has his life under control until the mysterious Amaryllis arrives in the little town, spreading chaos and confusion in her wake.
Suddenly he isn't sure about anything any more. Will he learn to relax and go with the flow or will he try desperately to remain in charge even in the face of domestic upsets and strange things happening all around him?
This i
Published (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crime in the Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime in the Community

Kath Middleton
Oct 21, 2014 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
Amaryllis Peebles is, at 40, a retired spy. She comes to live in Pitkirtly and muscles in on PLIF –the Pitkirtly Local Improvement Forum. The members of the committee have treated this as an informal drinking and social group, meeting as they do in a local pub. Amaryllis proposes that they do up the local village hall which is in a state of decrepitude, so that they, and other village groups, have a better meeting place. Naturally, as a new broom, her clean sweeping is resented. Christopher Wils ...more
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Crime in the Community is a mystery on many levels. It’s fast, wacky and at times so bizarre it’s difficult to know exactly what is happening but somehow you feel compelled to read on!

The storyline centres on Christopher and his role as the chair of a local action group that seem happiest when there isn’t actually too much action. Enter the mysterious Amaryllis to shake things up and a madcap adventure involving stranger than strange strangers ensues along with weird goings-on within Christophe
Stephen Clynes
May 11, 2012 Stephen Clynes rated it it was ok
Crime in the Community is a farce about village life and steering committies. The reader is teased with sinister undertones and you begin to search for some action or a conspiracy. This novel is a classic slow burner that simply nags at possibilities of a plot but just rambles on. There are many jolly conversations between the characters and there is some mild social comment about problems within British society.

Crime in the Community is a drawn out story that is slow to develop. Things slowly
I downloaded this book for my Kindle as the customer reviews were good, and I love a good thriller/mystery book.

well, this books isn't a thriller, and I don't think the front cover is particulalry well matched to the book itself. That said, this book is a great read and funny in places.

It's certainly quirky, and the whole story I found very far fetched, but that said it held my attention and you understand the characters. It did, however, feel a little that the author had ideas for a lot of diff
L.T. Fawkes
Jun 21, 2012 L.T. Fawkes rated it really liked it
FREE on Kindle. In an insular ex-urban village near Edinburgh, mysterious strangers appear and odd things begin to happen. The chairman of a sleepy little community committee begins to investigate. All the quirkiness and local color you'd want in a mystery set in small-town Scotland, with a good plot and plenty of action. Think Miss (in this case, Mr.) Marple meets James (in this case, Jane) Bond.
Michaela
Apr 15, 2015 Michaela rated it it was ok
After less than 50 pages I found myself already skipping whole paragraphs because of too detailed descriptions. The plot was rather unrealistic, but this is just my opinion.
Gayle Kee
Nov 20, 2012 Gayle Kee rated it did not like it
actually 0 star
Dorte
Aug 05, 2012 Dorte rated it really liked it
Cosy mystery set in nice Scottish environment. Not very credible but I found it extremely funny.
Anne Hill
Nov 29, 2016 Anne Hill rated it it was ok
Rather hard to read

Hard to follow, disjointed sentences, half finished thoughts. The characters are quirky, but it was a tough slog. Will try the next book to see if the writing improves.
Samantha
Nov 25, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The story is set in Pitkirtly, a small town near Fife in Scotland in a small community specifically the PLIF (Pitkirtly Local Improvement Forum) chaired by Christopher Wilson. The PLIF are perfectly happy regularly meeting at the local pub drinking and chatting but where nothing is ever decided and everything stays just as it is. Enter Amaryllis Peebles who has decided to retire to Pitkirtly and joins the PLIF whose members grudgingly accept her but their peaceful existence is about to be disrup ...more
Karen (Kew)
May 15, 2012 Karen (Kew) rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to make of this book at first. From the opening few paragraphs, I was expecting an Agatha Raisin type read. It is very different however. I found it slow going at times but the end of the story is gripping and I started to care about the characters. I have since read the second book in the series, Reunited in Death and am halfway through the third, A Reformed Character which I am enjoying very much. I have found that this series is worth sticking with and each book gets progre ...more
Rebecca
Mar 25, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommended to Rebecca by: Amazon Kindle Store
Book based in a quaint Scottish village. Opening scene introduces you to one of the main characters and gives you some insight into the lifestyle she has lead. Fast forward to the PLIF club at the pub where you are introduced to the other main character and sub characters. The sub story of refurbishing the town hall is a good way to keep the story moving, but the real story is tucked away within the detail. You get a bit of American and Iran and some spying! Never expected any of it!

This was a w
Philip Whiteland
Jan 23, 2015 Philip Whiteland rated it liked it
I'm really not sure about this one. I arrived at this book because I read a sample of the seventh book in the series (which shows how popular these books are), and I needed to know something about the characters involved. The story is a little far-fetched, as we are expected to believe that this small community can really harbour (to coin a phrase) the rather exotic characters and complex plot-lines involved. Nevertheless, it is a story that holds you to the end, even if a fair degree of disbeli ...more
Barrie Penman
Nov 05, 2012 Barrie Penman rated it liked it
Shelves: scottish
(kindle freebie)
Weird book.
Scottish,parochial, bit international, Committee work experience essential to get fuller enjoyment.
Not sure which genre this would appeal to.
To pass the time waiting for something concrete to happen try counting the lenghth of her sentences.
13/15 lines not uncommon.
Relationships and characters develope interestingly.
The unexplained is eventually explained so sit with it.
Still trying to figure out if I did enjoy it
or
did I didn't
Certainly bamboozled..

Kate
Mar 31, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
When I first started reading I thought it would get my 5 chapter chance and no more. By the fifth chapter I thought I might as well finish. It was enjoyable. I can see it as a British TV show. It starts in a pub with a meeting of a committee consisting of characters I recognize from other shows, Scots this time. The plot gets complicated and does test the suspension of ones belief, but it is entertaining.
David Withee
Jul 08, 2015 David Withee rated it it was amazing
Unusually very well done

Haven't read anything quite like it. Kept my interest all the way. Will be in that part of the world next month and will be talking about it there. Now I will have to get the next in the series! Lovely book
Lexie Conyngham
Jun 06, 2015 Lexie Conyngham rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining with a complex plot and a sympathetic central character. Christopher's bewilderment at the world around him and the depth he suddenly finds in people he had regarded superficially is very funny.
Janet
Jan 25, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Different from my normal read with a number of twists and turns.

The location of this story was the aspect that encouraged me to read this (plus it was a freebie).

Overall, I really enjoyed this story, but I wouldn't say it was totally amazing.
Sharon
Jan 10, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
it was ok. not what I ecpected and not something that I would have normally read. It was very easy to read and well written. I found it lacking in something, but I'm not sure what. If I can put my finger on it, then I'll update this later with my thoughts.
Sally Hatfield was nash
slow start but then went rather quickly & seemed a little bizarre. kept me entertained enough to finish it.
Vers Convelly
Dec 06, 2011 Vers Convelly rated it it was amazing
these was a nice book it fill like i was right their in the action. i was paln on uce the book in one my class for a report. could you send me a little so that i dont miss anything.
Peggy
Mar 04, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this light quick read. Only 177 pages. I liked the quirky people and the town. Well plotted and developed storyline. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Maria Maydell
Apr 21, 2013 Maria Maydell rated it liked it
Short story about a community wanting to build a community hall and the mystery person that tries to make it difficult for them.

Could have been better
Jack
Jul 20, 2011 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Cozy" mystery set in a village near Edinburgh. Entertaining and has amusing and likeable characters. Apparently this is the first of a series - I shall be looking for more.
stacie kerrison
stacie kerrison rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2017
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Rhonda Skinner
Rhonda Skinner rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Mo
Mo rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
Richard Daubney
Richard Daubney rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims (Garrison Gage, #0.5)
  • The Value of Life
  • Life Blood
  • A Family Affair (A Family Affair, #1)
  • Chernobyl Murders (Lazlo Horvath Thriller #1)
  • QB1
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z-Detective #1)
  • Run Among Thorns
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Across Eternity
  • Extreme Malice
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • The Glass Guardian
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Restoring Hope (Native American Romance #1)
  • The Child Taker (Detective Alec Ramsay, #1)
Cecilia Peartree is the mystery writing pen name of a database manager who lives in Edinburgh. She is a history graduate and as well as writing, she uses her spare time to help with a local theatre group, serve on a committee and look after two cats.
More about Cecilia Peartree...

Pitkirtly Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Reunited in Death (Pitkirtly Mysteries #2)
  • A Reformed Character (Pitkirtly Mysteries #3)
  • Death at the Happiness Club (Pitkirtly Mysteries #4)
  • Frozen in Crime (Pitkirtly Mysteries #5)
  • The Queen of Scots Mystery (Pitkirtly Mysteries #6)
  • A Tasteful Crime (Pitkirtly Mysteries, #7)
  • The Christmas Puzzle (Pitkirtly Mysteries #8)
  • Death in a Cold Spring (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 9)
  • Closer to Death in a Garden (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 10)
  • The Pitkirtly Triangle (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 11)