A Glimpse of Heaven: One Woman's Life-Altering Visit with God

A Glimpse of Heaven: One Woman's Life-Altering Visit with God

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A Glimpse of Heaven Through both personal and spiritual experiences, JoAnna Lynn Oblander guides us to a deeper understanding of our heavenly home. Shared within the covers of this book are experiences and insights that will convince you of God's great love for each of His children, His desire to be a daily part of our lives, and that each of us has come to earth to fulfil...more
Published January 8th 2012 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about A Glimpse of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glimpse of Heaven

Inspired Kathy
This book was full of so many great nuggets of wisdom and truth. I found myself agreeing with all the authors insights and beliefs that she shared. This book just radiated faith and hope and the love God has for us. Through Joanna's sharing of her very personal struggles and trials I was left feeling like I could over come the trials in my own life. I definitely have some work to do in my own life to develop the kind of relationship she has with God.
Heidi
This book touched my heart in many ways and not just because I'm a member of the same church as the author. Being an introvert myself, I know how hard it can be to share experiences and feelings with the world. It leaves one vulnerable. I admire the author for being so open when it was so hard for her to do so, something she admits in the book itself. I think the parts I related to the most were her internal struggles. Maintaining one's self worth in the face of a world that is so very focused o...more
Tracy
Mar 12, 2012 Tracy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spiritual People
This was another Goodreads giveaway I won. I am not a very religious person, but this book was actually quite touching to me. Very short read only 110 pages, read it in one sitting. Made me sit and think about what really is out there. I hope for something....I really would like to see my mom and Nana Nana again!
Ruth Hill
I will admit that I planned on giving this a rating of a 3 and then a 4. But the author won me over, and I can whole-heartedly give this book a rating of a five with only a few objections. I will mention those later. This is a fantastic true story from the author's own life that will inspire you.

I did not care for the first couple chapters. Why? Well, the author is a Mormon, and I have some very different views on heaven and angels and the afterlife. I was concerned that this was going to be th...more
Shanda
A Glimpse of Heaven opens with the author, in the depths of despair, praying her last prayer after planning to commit suicide the next day. That night, as she slept, an angel came to her. She followed the angel and the experience that followed affected her greatly. She still struggled, felt pain and suffered with depression, however her perspective of the purpose of her life was forever changed.

As I read A Glimpse of Heaven, several of my own experiences were confirmed to me. Members of The Chur...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
JoAnna Lynn Oblander shares with us a very personal journey. The journey is her life. She lives a life that is very religiously inspired and by living such a life is able to help give some ways that we can conquer the challenges that we have through our relationship with deity.

I was able to incorporate some of her experiences and see the similarities with my life. We have many of the same core values. She helped me to reflect on my life and ways that I can improve in different aspects.

I need to...more
Adella
Feb 26, 2012 Adella marked it as to-read
It's books like this that really give me hope about the existence of God. Being that I am Agnostic. I think this would be an inspirational and moving read.
Aimee
As you can tell from the summary above, this is a very religious book with faith in God being at the center of it's message. JoAnna Oblander takes us on a extremely personal journey though her life. She talks about depression and suicide, adoption, chronic pain and family. Through it all you will feel her devotion to God.

There are so many hard things that we all experience in life. One thing that I think those experiences can teach us is how to be more compassionate to others who may be experie...more
Janiece
I really enjoyed this book, resonating so much with her experiences and truths that she shared. Having so many shared experiences with the author, I appreciated very much her ability to share and describe her experiences. Easily recognized her path to healing included attention to mind, body, spirit and emotion. While the emphasis was on the spiritual truths, there is much more to be gained from her experience. A great book for anyone needing healing of any sort, reassurance of God's love or the...more
Natalie Pyles
This is a memoir of a mother who has hit rock bottom. She delivers her vision at the very beginning of the book. The spiritual lessons that she learns help her endure her suffering and struggles, and eventually overcome them. Themes include depression, parenthood, adoption, pain management and faith. This book is uplifting, quick and insightful.
5 stars
Robyn
This book is short, it is quick to read, but after reading it my thoughts kept turning to her story. It made me consider my own beliefs and I love it.
Swhite
I was definitely supposed to read this book. The insight into our pre-existence as beings we only catch a glimpse of in this life, lifted my self-perception and self-acceptance to a new level. Her experiences with prayer and promptings and figuring out what they really meant and why was also interesting. There are many different ways our Heavenly Father supports us and prods us on to accomplish our earthly missions, develope faith in Him and seeks to bless our life now and for eternity.
Julie
May 29, 2013 Julie added it
Yikes I can't rate a book that feels like I was just snooping in someone's private journal - like rating the book is rating HER and her personal experience. Recommended to me because of the adoption aspect...which is intensely interesting. She talks in the book about her adoption experiences, several very personal visits from/to heaven and her severe depression and considering suicide. I can't imagine publishing a book like that had those experiences been mine!
Melanie
I am of the same beliefs as the author and thoroughly enjoyed this. I LOVED reading about her vision of the pre-mortal world...it brought me some very interesting insights that I know will help me through many experiences of this life to see things in a new perspective. I am inspired by her faith through the many difficult challenges she has faced in life. Very interesting read!
Shawnna
This was an inspirational book that helped me to see beyond what's happening in my life right now. It gave me an "eternal perspective". I highly reccommend it to anyone interested in learning more about God's love for each of us, no matter where we are in life.
Saraelizabeth
The author of this book had some amazing experiences that really made me think about the life before and what I'm doing with my life now. It got a little repetitive in some parts. But whenever she shared her experiences, visions, etc. there was a lot to learn.
Andrea
It was an interesting book that kept me reading. He had a lot of interesting spiritual experiences and it was nice to see how through the help of the Lord she was able to make it through such trails.
Susan
I really enjoyed this true story about Joanna's journey to the pre-mortal world and about her other spiritual experiences. It taught me a lot about prayer and about turning my life over to Heavenly Father.
Sheridan
Another sort of near death experience book, in this one the author views the per-existance.
Interesting, also she shares her experience on being led to adopt a child.
Wendy Buchanan
I loved the first half of the book, but then I felt it got too preachy. But I do appreciate her sharing her amazing experiences!
Lori
I liked that I could relate to so much of her story and found some good lessons in her experiences.
diana burns
diana burns marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Alice Ambrose
Alice Ambrose marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Creselda Pearl
Creselda Pearl marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Steven Faulkner
Steven Faulkner marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
JoAnna Oblander is happily married to and is still dating her husband of over thirty years, Dr. Greg Oblander. She is the mother of six children, two of whom were adopted from Russia. Though her two most important jobs have been wife and mother, she has also been involved in a variety of businesses, church leadership responsibilities, and youth organizations, and she has been the lead organizer of...more
More about JoAnna Lynn Oblander...