Start by marking “Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell” as Want to Read:
Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell

Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell (Heidi Heckelbeck #2)

Heidi Heckelbeck displays her witching skills in this second book of a new young chapter book series!

Now readers between the ages of five and seven can read chapter books tailor-made for a younger level of reading comprehension. Heavily illustrated with large type, Little Simon's young chapter books let young readers feel like they are reading a “grown-up” format with subj
Published January 3rd 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell

Francesca Rock
Mar 24, 2015 Francesca Rock rated it it was amazing

So this was clearly adorable. I know it isn't my normal fare - but when your grade 2 student walks up to you, hands you a book and tells you it's the greatest thing she's ever read and she'd like your opinion, what else can you do? You have to read it. No choice.

And I actually really, really liked it. This book had a good message and heart. It was really simple, obviously, but was better for it. There was only one thing happening - which is perfect for the age group.

Heidi Heckelbeck has just ma
Marya
Dec 23, 2013 Marya rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-series
This book is trying way too hard to teach kids how to deal with bullies and totally failing at it.
First off, Heidi meets a bully on the bus who knocks around her friend Bruce. Heidi unties the bully's shoelaces and causes him to trip, which of course makes everyone on the bus laugh at him. No one feels any sympathy for the bully at all; Heidi and Bruce even high five over it.
Next, in the A plot, Heidi is planning to cast a spell on meanie Melanie who bullied her on the first day of school. Heid
Margaret Behr
Jul 29, 2016 Margaret Behr rated it liked it
I discovered this series when a young patron requested them at the library. Heidi is a witch, as are some of her family members (though they seem to be mostly nice witches). This is a cute alternative to Junie B. Jones or Judy Moody. It has some substance and engaging illustrations, but it isn't the best of the best. I will continue to recommend it though, since young readers tend to get stuck on one series and may need a fresh alternative.
Jen B.
Jun 13, 2014 Jen B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Still love Heidi. I love the lessons learned in these books, not in a cheesy way, but in a "I'll do it myself" kind of way. The truth around mean girls was so innocent, yet genuine, that I completely understood why Heidi followed through with casting her spell. However, the bitterness of revenge was also so well-written that it made me think and know that my youngest readers would be able to relate and understand the message.
Carol
Jun 18, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: intermediate, magic
It is nice to have the second entry in an intermediate chapter book series be as fun and entertaining as the first one, if not more so. Heidi continues to try to fit-in at school and not let mean Melanie ruin things for her. Heidi still dreams of casting a spell to teach her a lesson, but will she really go through with it? A promising new intermediate series that will teach kids about how to get along with others.
Geri Dosalua
Nov 16, 2014 Geri Dosalua rated it really liked it
Heidi is an enchanting character. Dealing with bullies isn't easy. She learns a lot about herself in the process. The whole series is good. Very popular with our young patrons. The books are usually out. This one is listed for ages 5-7 or K-2nd grade in Bowkers. Too young for our LOE group. Some other Heidi books are listed higher. May look into reviewing those.
Margaret Behr
Mar 01, 2016 Margaret Behr rated it liked it
Heidi is a witch, as are some of her family members (though they seem to be mostly good witches). This is a cute alternative to Junie B. Jones or Judy Moody. It has some substance and engaging illustrations, but it isn't the cream of the crop. That said, I will recommend it to young readers that are stuck on other series and need an alternative.
Tracie
Heidi, a young witch in training, decides to cast a spell that will teach the resident mean girl a lesson, but Aunt Trudy urges her not to rely on magic to solve her problems. Will Heidi listen to Aunt Trudy's advice?
Maggie
Another hit from the Heidi Heckelbeck series. Nice short chapters and lots of illustrations keep younger readers engaged while the story explores dealing with a mean girl in a way that is relatable to most kids.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
heidi heckelbeck's worst enemy is Melonie and Melonie told the drama teacher a awful place for Heidi so Heidi casts a spell to make Melonie forget her lines then Heidi feels sorry for Melonie so she un does the spell.
Tanya
May 01, 2013 Tanya rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter-book
This book is such a typical story. Girl has bully troubles at school and how she deals with them. The twist - she's a witch. It's just not enough to keep us entertained. Some cute art with text gives it the second star.
Ms. B
Sep 17, 2015 Ms. B rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, series, magic, 2015
I liked this one even more than the first. Heidi decides to cast a spell on mean girl and classmate Melanie. Her Aunt Trudy warns her that magic cannot be used to solve her problems in school. What Heidi cast a spell on Melanie? Read this book to find out,
Mrs. Carey
Jul 22, 2015 Mrs. Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
Heidi learns that casting spells is not the best way to solve her problems. This book is a little more magical than the 1st book in the series. Overall, I think fans of Junie B. Jones will like this series.
Jun 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: chi-j-e
cute for 1-3 with a fairly easy reading level, dealing with themse of friendship, bullying and a little magic.
Julia
Oct 12, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Sasha loves this set and we have been reading it together...it is a wonderful show of how a child would see there world at this age
April Suter
Jul 23, 2016 April Suter rated it liked it
Heidi needs all the ingredients for a spell to get back at the mean girl in her class. Is it all worth it?
Kristi
Jun 15, 2014 Kristi rated it liked it
Cute book. Great for those kiddos just be going chapter books. Heidi is not your average girl, she's new to school and trying to figure out her path. Will recommend this series to kiddos next year.
Michele
Cute short chapter book about a young witch who learns that casting a spell in revenge doesn't feel good.
Shay
Mar 08, 2015 Shay rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
It was okay because Heidi did cast a spell, even though her aunt said to never use magic at school. So that was a very bad choice.
Tiffany
Sep 04, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellie: Heidi Heckelbeck was a witch in the book. That was her secret. One time she made a girl forget her lines in the second book. That one was pretty funny. I really liked the second book a lot.
Maegen
Maegen rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Jillian Meeks
Jillian Meeks rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Stacia Leigh
Stacia Leigh rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Paula
The second in this series. A good early chapter book choice.
Emma Nelson
Emma Nelson rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
  • All About Ellie (Critter Club, #2)
  • Princess Posey and the Next-Door Dog (Princess Posey, #3)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Rainbow Swirl
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • Lulu and the Cat in the Bag
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name (Stella Batts, #1)
  • Judy Moody and the Bad Luck Charm (Judy Moody, #11)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • The Space Between (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls, #2)
  • Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S.: (Ball of Yellow String)
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • The Stolen Crystals (The Rescue Princesses, #4)
  • Rosie Sprout's Time to Shine

Heidi Heckelbeck (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Gets Glasses
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Secret Admirer
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Is Ready to Dance!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise