Start by marking “The Zero Hour: Titik Nol” as Want to Read:
The Zero Hour: Titik Nol

The Zero Hour: Titik Nol

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  891 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Agen FBI Sarah Cahill tidak mengenal teroris yang diburunya. Tapi teroris itu mengenalnya - dengan intim. Teroris itu juga tahu bagaimana cara menghancurkan Wall Street, dan ia akan melakukannya. Bisakah Sarah Cahill menghentikannya sebelum TITIK NOL?

Pelarian yang luar biasa dari penjara Afrika Selatan. Gadis panggilan yang ditemukan terbunuh secara brutal. Miliuner Amerik
Published 1998 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Zero Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zero Hour

Janie Johnson
I decided to buy, then read this book based on the synopsis and on the fact that this was also a new Author for me. I really like to try new authors to expand my reading horizons.

It was actually a very disappointing and boring read. What I read in the description never even happened in the book till more than halfway through it. I felt like the synopsis was very misleading. There was so much unnecessary back story and government explanations that I almost abandoned the book, but I kept on till I
Jane Stewart
2 stars. No fun watching good guys make mistakes and being stupid. Too much lecturing about technical subjects.

This is a weak imitation of The Day of the Jackal. I loved Jackal. I did not enjoy Zero. Similarities: Someone hires the best of the best to do a job. In Jackal it’s kill the French President. In Zero it’s hack a bank and plant a bomb in NY City. In both books authorities learn something is going to happen but don’t know who will do it. In both books the authorities get closer and clos
D.K.
Jun 06, 2009 D.K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After one of FBI Special Agent Sarah Cahill's informants was found dead, Cahill feels obligated to solve her murder. Collected evidence leads into a even bigger case--a case that could affect the world's financial stability. Cahill is placed in charge of a special investigation to stop this threat.

Joseph Finder wrote a true thrillride with The Zero Hour--great characters, solid story and once it's over, you wish there was more.
Paige
Apr 17, 2010 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this author's writing. This book was written in 1996 and deals with counterterrorism. Since September 11th had not yet occurred, it manages to forecast without being knowing about what is going to happen. Don't misunderstand, it doesn't predict a 9/11 scenario, but the circumstances that allow it to happen are all there for us to read and shudder. Really good, really frightening.
Susan
Feb 29, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out with great promise. An FBI agent, Sarah Cahill, must catch the "Prince of Darkness" before he commits an unspeakable act of terrorism in New York City. [Note this was published in 1996, before the 9-11 tragedy, but after the Trade Center bombing] The terrorist is a fascinating character, and Finder provides rich detail about how he manages to escape from a South African prison. The catch: the man who facilitated his escape has a job for him.

With sometimes excruciating deta
Lori Henrich
Sarah Cahill is asked to head a task force to capture an unknown person or persons who might or might not be a threat to a major bank in New York. Very well written and it keeps you on your toes from the first page. I found a slight predictability during one section, but it didn't detract from the story as a whole.

A prisoner in South Africa is helped to escape to conduct a special job. The prisoner is known as the Prince of Darkness and is supposed to be the best at his job. His job is whatever
John Grazide
Behind the overload of information I think there could have been an okay story. But I think between descriptions of JPEG to cellular signals to the details of a helicopter it was lost.

There were quite a few very surreal moments in the book. Remembering that it was written in 1996, the world was a different place. Mid way through chapter 81 page 344 hardcover was one of the most surreal sections I have read in any book. "...He knew there had been four studies done on the engineering aspects of t
Quentin Feduchin
Jan 04, 2015 Quentin Feduchin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, assassin
Rather typical 'terrorist plot' type book, mostly about New York.
Goes into a lot of background of the protagonist; so we all know what he does and why he's doing this. These types of books generally set up the 'rather special terrorist' idea; which is not a bad idea. (Another recent novel, 'I am Pilgrim' by Hayes, also does it; maybe a bit better.)
Tons of how-to, how it was done, how you avoid this (detection) or find out that (more detection), very much a revenge novel, which you should know be
Wayne
Sep 20, 2014 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Zero Hour, my 4th Joseph Finder novel, did not hold my attention as did Suspicion, Paranoia and High Crimes. The plot is complicated, the characters not especially likeable. Perhaps it was just my lack of interest in the book, but it seemed to take forever to finish reading it. I plan to read each of Finder's other nine novels and hope they will be more like the 3 mentioned above.
Zero Hour contained page after page of details that were not really necessary for the reader, unless the reader
Jeff
Jan 07, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this author. The book is a little dated, but still excellent. A thriller.
Mal Warwick
Jul 30, 2011 Mal Warwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a thriller set in New York City. It’s a story about an impending terrorist attack on Wall Street. The cast of characters includes a chameleon-like terrorist-for-hire reminiscent of Frederick Forsyth’s Jackal, a fugitive financier thirsting for revenge against the banker and the system that forced him to flee the U.S., a brilliant American investigator whose life is complicated by a jealous ex-husband and a precocious 8-year-old son, a prominent and wealthy banker with a taste for masochi ...more
Vivian
Jul 15, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised that it took me so long to finish this book. I guess this just isn't my type of book.

The book is split up into two main POV's: the good guys (Sarah, FBI...) and the bad guys (Baumann). I actually found the bad guys' POV much more interesting than the wild goose chase at the other end. But even that interest wasn't enough to keep me from putting the book down. Only the drive of completing this book to start another one finally pushed me to finish this book.

Perhaps another reason wh
Tony
Mar 25, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Finder- The Zero Hour (Avon Books 1997) 4 Stars

After a U.S. billionaire has been hunted by the U.S. government, he goes into hiding in Switzerland. Now he is striking back by hiring the Prince of Darkness to attack America. He is a deadly assassin and is the best at what he does. Agent Sarah Cahill of the FBI is searching for him and must find him before he accomplishes a mission that will send America back to the Stone Age. It will be the most challenging case she has ever had.

The first
Lizz
Aug 24, 2011 Lizz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess... I read this twice because I had forgotten that I read it the first time. It didn't take me long to remember it, however, and despite everything about the book rushing back to memory before the end of the first chapter, I decided not to quit. It's not often that I remember the endings of books--which I realize is weird. But really, I have a terrible habit of forgetting the major twists in just about every book I read. And if I do reread it, what tends to happen is, every word ...more
Peter
Not a bad 'wall street thriller'. Set in the world of international finance and the FBI's anti-terrorism division, this is a race against the clock story where an intrepid single mom FBI agent has to stop a plot to destroy the world financial system. A bitter billionaire wants to take down the world in revenge for the death of his wife and daughter. Some of the characters are a tad cardboard-ish but the plot itself is riveting.
Nancy Shepherd
Mar 23, 2016 Nancy Shepherd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of suspense, mystery
Recommended to Nancy by: no one...I try to read every Finder novel I find!
Shelves: espionage
This is one of the best books of its kind! The characters are believable, the plot flows well, and the suspense keeps building. I have read several of Finder's books, and this one is as good as--or perhaps better than--any of the others. We have men who are hellbent on destruction, federal agents who work tirelessly to stop them, and a couple who are fighting over custody of a child. What's not to enjoy here?
J. Ewbank
This book by Finder is a good read. The characters are sketched out and the plot is interesting. The sex is unbelievable, in that it would not happen, but it did make the story more complex. I enjoyed reading it as I have enjoyed reading other Joseph Finder books in the past. This is an older book.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
David Graham
Dec 10, 2013 David Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of readers of thrillers, I enjoy the villains and part of me secretly wants them to win. I remember picking Zero Hour by Joseph Finder up in an airport bookshop in London and within a few pages knowing I was going to enjoy the book based on the villain’s introduction. Baumann (called ‘The Prince of Darkness’) was by far the best part of the novel for me, totally ruthless and eminently capable. Sarah Cahill, the heroine, falls for him while he is masquerading as something other than he ...more
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thriller - FBI agent Sarah Cahill has terrorism and bomb identification experience from the Lockerbie bombing; now a partial telephone intercept starts an investigation that indicates a bomb may be used against a major NYC bank. An American ex-pat in Switzerland has hired a very clever South African mercenary. Sarah is called in from Boston to head the investigation.
Kay
Mar 17, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Sophisticated, complex plot with interesting character. Even the bad guys can be charming in their own way. This book has a heroine instead of a hero and that is uncommon for adventure stories. She is a very competent FBI agent who catches the bad guy and she is in charge of the operation to track him down. Fast-paced book with a smart story line, you will even learn a little about our banking system.

Good read.
Navin
Dec 22, 2014 Navin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was at times a fast-paced read and at times a slog. The book was perhaps a hundred pages longer than it needed to be, and in the middle portion, I found myself checking how much farther I had to go.

Joseph Finder's talent is apparent in this, his first novel. He does best in the action sequences, moving the events along at a fast clip and doing a great job of sustaining tension. It is all the explanations that slow the book down. Some, given that the book was written in the late '90s, is un
Jan Mcclung-short
May 27, 2014 Jan Mcclung-short rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Hew! This book took my breath away. I couldn't breath normally the last about 10 chalters. It was unbelievable what was happening. Bombs, terrorists, a child hostage, FBI/CIA, NYC, and the kitchen sink. All these things just kept piling up and tbe stress and my blood pressure was sky high. I really don't know what to tell you except READ THIS BOOK! Its great.
Judith
Jun 25, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Sarah Cahill. She was all things; super mom, super agent, super friend, and a great lover. She was completely duped by The Prince of Darkness, yet, when she discovered who he was, she went after him with a vengeance. The scene when The Prince of Darkness had her son was scary, and the solution was believable. A very good read.
Sheila
Apr 18, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say Mr. Finder certainly knows how to do indepth research. The book moved right along carrying, I'm betting, most readers right into the knowledge of who our "Prince" is but not knowing just how it all would be handled. Also I did like the way he was portrayed as being fond of a couple of our characters here. The only problem really bothering me is a detail about a bomb at the very end. It bothered so much, I was forced to email the author and ask a question about it. After looking at man ...more
Ryan
Dec 02, 2015 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is probably due to how I felt about the first book of his that I read. It was exciting and was probably the cleanest action adventure book I've read. I was impressed.
This started out as quite the opposite as this book quickly turned in to some bizarre smut novel. Hopefully the rest of the book was better.
Stephen
Dec 17, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
A melange of almost every thriller convention, well-constructed in a series of cliff-hangers. Doesn't quite have the originality of Forsyth nor the noir reality of Furst or the psychological insight of P.D. James at her best. I've read it twice, which is why I upgraded it to four stars.
Diane Wachter
The Zero Hour, Joseph Finder, RDC-M #5-96, 4/13. An unbelievable thriller about an American billionaire fugitive obsessed with revenge, a brilliant terrorist hired to carry out his plans to destroy America's economy, and an FBI agent dedicated to stopping the disaster. Okay.
Robert Ferrari
May 24, 2015 Robert Ferrari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I could not put this book down. It was one of the best books I have finished in a long time. (every 3 days I finish a book. Since my first Kindle in late 2012). Fast moving and very believable.
Claudette
Jul 22, 2013 Claudette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book, so had to hear every painful redundant, repetitive word. Ugh! This book was written in 1996 I believe, so it's extremely dated, especially when fully 7/8 of the book is a police/FBI/Interpol procedural. There's very little story tucked in between how these long-winded explanations on how the police DO things (or rather, how they DID them back then), and really, perhaps because I listened instead of read and couldn't just skim the boring parts, when we actually came ...more
Tom
Apr 21, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story. Terrorist is attempting to blow up wall street and bring down the network. The network of financialy transations between banks. Good story - on the edge of my seat!
  • Undone
  • Betrayal
  • Two For Tanner (Evan Tanner, #4)
  • French Kiss
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • Forced Out
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • The Alchemist
  • Full Assault Mode (Delta Force, #3)
  • The Reunion
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
  • Eleven Eleven
  • Final Round
  • Cold Glory (Nick Journey #1)
  • Last Reveille
  • Pacific Beat
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...