Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Amy Winehouse's bright star burned out on July 23 2011. Amy lived a rock-star lifestyle to the max, replacing an addiction to drugs with a battle against alcohol. When she died, aged 27, she joined a long list of musicians whose lives had been tragically cut short at the same age - the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison. She burst onto the scene with her d...more
Paperback
Published by World Publishing, Ltd. (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Open Book , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Book

Christina Westover
I was honored to compose the introduction for this biography--honored because Amy Winehouse was a musician whose voice cut to the core, leaving the listener changed. She had a voice like Billie Holiday, the sultry raspy passion of one whose talent was a blend of past and present, and utterly unforgettable. I for one will miss having Amy Winehouse in the world.

Andy Morris's "Open Book:The Life and Death of Amy Winehouse" is a biography with heart, written by someone who truly desired to make sens...more
Vera
I would like to thank Goodreads First Reads for sending me this book! Thank you to the author for the signed copy!

This is a captivating read about a young and tragic life, full of promise and talent.

The writing was sharp, focused, with great sense of understanding. This book would appeal to anyone who wants to learn more about Amy Winehouse - or anyone looking for a deep, provoking read.
Matthew
Why did she have to go soon? Amy Winehouse left us too early. I yearn for more of her music. She was such a special and dynamic person and I am glad Andy Morris decided to capture that in this new book celebrating her life and mourning her unexpected death. With 18 Chapters jam packed with no holds barred information on Amy, this is one tale of a musicians life that is hard to put down. The introduction by Christina Westover, the vintage Amy Winehouse pictures and riveting details into the final...more
Julie Rylie
This is the first book i won through a goodreads competition :D *very happy about it*

Despite some editing mistakes and the very short paragraphs it was quite amuzing to read about Amy Winehouse.

It never occurred to me that a self destructive/ depressive person could actually be aware of her qualities and potential, which is kinda stupid and unexpected coming from me, because i fit perfectly in the category.

I think that if Amy had to die, it had to be at 27... now she became immortal. It is such...more
Samiha
I received this book from Goodreads- thank you!

This was a short but informative read which outlined the main events of Amy's life. The book was a good balance between pictures, facts and personal stories which added a rounded perspective of Amy's life.
For me the book's downfall is that it lacked depth and it was more of an overview than a full account of her life, focusing on more of the pivotal/scandalous events.

Nevertheless, anyone looking to read about Amy should have a look at this!
Ty
Sep 24, 2011 Ty marked it as to-read
Amy Winehouse was a fantastic singer, and I don't believe many people realized how much of a gift she really had, and how she could manipulate her voice with such raw, sensual soul. She passed away on my 27th birthday, so her death will always be memorable to me, but the music will continue to be influential. I'm looking forward to reading this work!
Marie
Truly enjoyed this book. Not bias at all. I read the whole thing in one evening, so its a quick read, but informative.

I have always been curious about Amy Whinehouse and it is such a shame that her life had to end so soon. Poor thing - she just needed love.

Read it - its a good book.
Sian
This was a short but interesting insight into Amy Winehouse, her life and her death. Some of the spelling and grammar is poor but it kept me captivated for two hours.
Giulio
it is really great to read this book, it gets you deeply into the story of this incredible voice, you'll be really missed Amy. RIP
Dee
Jan 20, 2012 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-read
I won this book as a Goodreads First Read.
Chesspalomino
Chesspalomino marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Davina Bell
Davina Bell marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ania
Ania added it
Aug 12, 2014
Olga Zayats
Olga Zayats marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Tamara Fortova
Tamara Fortova marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Margaretpate
Margaretpate marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Janet Peshek
Janet Peshek marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Charlotte Burns
Charlotte Burns marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Beverley Lucas
Beverley Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Amy (Demonkittie)
Amy (Demonkittie) marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
  • Memoirs of a Fighting Dog
  • Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom
  • Remembering the Music, Forgetting the Words: Travels with Mom in the Land of Dementia
  • First Time Lucky?
  • Gifted
  • Born to Run: The Bruce Springsteen Story
  • A Dark Sicilian Secret
  • Panic And The Inner Monkey
  • Sebastian's Poet
  • Invitation to Ruin (Invitation To #1)
  • Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes in All Shapes, Sizes, and Packages, Including Me
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • Poisoning Sylvie
  • Forever Different: A Memoir of One Woman's Journey Living with Bipolar Disorder
  • Kismet
  • I Slept With Joey Ramone
  • Rock Chicks
  • Beyond Forgiveness
4172090
Born in the UK, author Andy Morris is a world traveler who currently resides in San Francisco,California. A journalist for over twenty years, he is the author of "Open Book:The Life and Death of Amy Winehouse" which he co-authored with his partner and wife Christina Westover, author of "Precipice and "Poisoning Sylvie."
More about Andy Morris...
Strange But True: Book Two of the Connor True Series Dreams Come True: Book One of the Connor True Series Black Cat Tales: Black Anne and Other Short Stories Black Cat Tales: Where the Spiders Dwell: And Other Short Stories Libro Abierto: La Vida y Muerte De Amy Winehouse