Start by marking “Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse” as Want to Read:
Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Amy Winehouse's bright star burned out on July 23 2011. Amy lived a rock-star lifestyle to the max, replacing an addiction to drugs with a battle against alcohol. When she died, aged 27, she joined a long list of musicians whose lives had been tragically cut short at the same age - the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison. She burst onto the scene with her d ...more
Paperback
Published by World Publishing, Ltd. (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Open Book , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Book

Matthew
Why did she have to go soon? Amy Winehouse left us too early. I yearn for more of her music. She was such a special and dynamic person and I am glad Andy Morris decided to capture that in this new book celebrating her life and mourning her unexpected death. With 18 Chapters jam packed with no holds barred information on Amy, this is one tale of a musicians life that is hard to put down. The introduction by Christina Westover, the vintage Amy Winehouse pictures and riveting details into the final ...more
Vera
I would like to thank Goodreads First Reads for sending me this book! Thank you to the author for the signed copy!

This is a captivating read about a young and tragic life, full of promise and talent.

The writing was sharp, focused, with great sense of understanding. This book would appeal to anyone who wants to learn more about Amy Winehouse - or anyone looking for a deep, provoking read.
Julie Rylie
This is the first book i won through a goodreads competition :D *very happy about it*

Despite some editing mistakes and the very short paragraphs it was quite amuzing to read about Amy Winehouse.

It never occurred to me that a self destructive/ depressive person could actually be aware of her qualities and potential, which is kinda stupid and unexpected coming from me, because i fit perfectly in the category.

I think that if Amy had to die, it had to be at 27... now she became immortal. It is such
Samiha
I received this book from Goodreads- thank you!

This was a short but informative read which outlined the main events of Amy's life. The book was a good balance between pictures, facts and personal stories which added a rounded perspective of Amy's life.
For me the book's downfall is that it lacked depth and it was more of an overview than a full account of her life, focusing on more of the pivotal/scandalous events.

Nevertheless, anyone looking to read about Amy should have a look at this!
Brisa
Sep 24, 2011 Brisa marked it as to-read
Amy Winehouse was a fantastic singer, and I don't believe many people realized how much of a gift she really had, and how she could manipulate her voice with such raw, sensual soul. She passed away on my 27th birthday, so her death will always be memorable to me, but the music will continue to be influential. I'm looking forward to reading this work!
Marie
Truly enjoyed this book. Not bias at all. I read the whole thing in one evening, so its a quick read, but informative.

I have always been curious about Amy Whinehouse and it is such a shame that her life had to end so soon. Poor thing - she just needed love.

Read it - its a good book.
Sian
This was a short but interesting insight into Amy Winehouse, her life and her death. Some of the spelling and grammar is poor but it kept me captivated for two hours.
Giulio
it is really great to read this book, it gets you deeply into the story of this incredible voice, you'll be really missed Amy. RIP
Dee
Jan 20, 2012 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-read
I won this book as a Goodreads First Read.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mary Lennon
Mary Lennon marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Lian Liu
Lian Liu marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Aitana Black
Aitana Black marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Vicky Harris
Vicky Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Muntean Florin
Muntean Florin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Chloe Moffitt
Chloe Moffitt marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lataisha
Lataisha marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Kirstie
Kirstie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Memoirs of a Fighting Dog
  • Breathe
  • Remembering the Music, Forgetting the Words: Travels with Mom in the Land of Dementia
  • All The Days Of My Life (So Far)
  • Secrets of a Webcam Girl
  • A Dark Sicilian Secret
  • Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • Panic And The Inner Monkey
  • Hellions: Pop Culture's Rebel Women
  • Invitation to Ruin (Invitation To #1)
  • Club Sandwich
  • The Stones
  • Born to Run: The Bruce Springsteen Story
  • String Bridge
  • Nice Girls Finish Last
  • I Think I'm OK
  • Finding Compassion in China: A Bicycle Journey Into the Countryside
4172090
Born in the UK, author Andy Morris is a world traveler who currently resides in San Francisco,California. A journalist for over twenty years, he is the author of "Open Book:The Life and Death of Amy Winehouse" which he co-authored with his partner and wife Christina Westover, author of "Precipice and "Poisoning Sylvie."
More about Andy Morris...
Quiet Moments: Lessons in Life and Love True Spirit: Book Eight of the Connor True Series True Believers: Book Seven of the Connor True Series Too Good To Be True: Book Six of the Connor True Series True Grit: Book Five of the Connor True Series