Start by marking “Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse” as Want to Read:
Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

Open Book : the life and death of Amy Winehouse

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Amy Winehouse's bright star burned out on July 23 2011. Amy lived a rock-star lifestyle to the max, replacing an addiction to drugs with a battle against alcohol. When she died, aged 27, she joined a long list of musicians whose lives had been tragically cut short at the same age - the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison. She burst onto the scene with her d ...more
Paperback
Published by World Publishing, Ltd. (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Open Book , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Book

Christina Westover
I was honored to compose the introduction for this biography--honored because Amy Winehouse was a musician whose voice cut to the core, leaving the listener changed. She had a voice like Billie Holiday, the sultry raspy passion of one whose talent was a blend of past and present, and utterly unforgettable. I for one will miss having Amy Winehouse in the world.

Andy Morris's "Open Book:The Life and Death of Amy Winehouse" is a biography with heart, written by someone who truly desired to make sens
Vera
I would like to thank Goodreads First Reads for sending me this book! Thank you to the author for the signed copy!

This is a captivating read about a young and tragic life, full of promise and talent.

The writing was sharp, focused, with great sense of understanding. This book would appeal to anyone who wants to learn more about Amy Winehouse - or anyone looking for a deep, provoking read.
Matthew
Why did she have to go soon? Amy Winehouse left us too early. I yearn for more of her music. She was such a special and dynamic person and I am glad Andy Morris decided to capture that in this new book celebrating her life and mourning her unexpected death. With 18 Chapters jam packed with no holds barred information on Amy, this is one tale of a musicians life that is hard to put down. The introduction by Christina Westover, the vintage Amy Winehouse pictures and riveting details into the final ...more
Julie Rylie
This is the first book i won through a goodreads competition :D *very happy about it*

Despite some editing mistakes and the very short paragraphs it was quite amuzing to read about Amy Winehouse.

It never occurred to me that a self destructive/ depressive person could actually be aware of her qualities and potential, which is kinda stupid and unexpected coming from me, because i fit perfectly in the category.

I think that if Amy had to die, it had to be at 27... now she became immortal. It is such
Samiha
I received this book from Goodreads- thank you!

This was a short but informative read which outlined the main events of Amy's life. The book was a good balance between pictures, facts and personal stories which added a rounded perspective of Amy's life.
For me the book's downfall is that it lacked depth and it was more of an overview than a full account of her life, focusing on more of the pivotal/scandalous events.

Nevertheless, anyone looking to read about Amy should have a look at this!
Brisa
Sep 24, 2011 Brisa marked it as to-read
Amy Winehouse was a fantastic singer, and I don't believe many people realized how much of a gift she really had, and how she could manipulate her voice with such raw, sensual soul. She passed away on my 27th birthday, so her death will always be memorable to me, but the music will continue to be influential. I'm looking forward to reading this work!
Marie
Truly enjoyed this book. Not bias at all. I read the whole thing in one evening, so its a quick read, but informative.

I have always been curious about Amy Whinehouse and it is such a shame that her life had to end so soon. Poor thing - she just needed love.

Read it - its a good book.
Sian
This was a short but interesting insight into Amy Winehouse, her life and her death. Some of the spelling and grammar is poor but it kept me captivated for two hours.
Giulio
it is really great to read this book, it gets you deeply into the story of this incredible voice, you'll be really missed Amy. RIP
Dee
Jan 20, 2012 Dee marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-read
I won this book as a Goodreads First Read.
Lataisha
Lataisha marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Kirstie
Kirstie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Lori Arnold
Lori Arnold marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Haven Miller
Haven Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Nyshelle Simmons
Nyshelle Simmons marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Lee Rosales
Lee Rosales marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Chesspalomino
Chesspalomino marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Davina Bell
Davina Bell marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • Memoirs of a Fighting Dog
  • Breathe
  • Mozart's Journey To Prague
  • In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide
  • Invitation to Ruin (Invitation To #1)
  • Secrets of a Webcam Girl
  • Closet Full of Coke A Diary of a Teenage Drug Queen
  • Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up From Rock Bottom
  • Panic And The Inner Monkey
  • Turned on: A Biography of Henry Rollins
  • Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes in All Shapes, Sizes, and Packages, Including Me
  • The Test (NEBADOR, #1)
  • The Stones
4172090
Born in the UK, author Andy Morris is a world traveler who currently resides in San Francisco,California. A journalist for over twenty years, he is the author of "Open Book:The Life and Death of Amy Winehouse" which he co-authored with his partner and wife Christina Westover, author of "Precipice and "Poisoning Sylvie."
More about Andy Morris...
True Spirit: Book Eight of the Connor True Series True Believers: Book Seven of the Connor True Series Too Good To Be True: Book Six of the Connor True Series True Grit: Book Five of the Connor True Series Forever True: Book Four of the Connor True Series