Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy #1)

Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,822 ratings  ·  198 reviews
Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

Published July 30th 2011 by Nichole Chase (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Obligation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Obligation

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Warning: This book is CONTAGIOUS!

My Cover Thoughts: This cover is awesome! It is of a girl looking at something in the cemetery. She knows something’s there but what it is ..... well you will have to read the book to find out.

My Thoughts/Review: Ree is just your average high school senior just trying to get through school and go on to college. She is in love with her brother’s best friend and wants to tell him but she does not know how. She has bigger problems right now because she has been seei...more
Larissa
I loved this book. I had been following the author's blog for a while prior to the book's release and the premise had intrigued me: a young adult urban fantasy, a character that stands between the certain destruction of the human race, and the promise of a romantic side story. My type of book. It took me about a chapter to really get into it, but after that it just got better and better.

I really liked Ree, I thought she was a spunky, well developed character. And it was great because it wasn't...more
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
17-year-old Alastriana (Ree) is going to a concert with a friend (Paden) when she is attacked, and somehow manages to use some sort of green energy to fight off her attackers. When her employer than turns up and tells her that she and her friends are special, and should come visit her island, they are unsure of her intentions, but when they realise that Ree now has glowing eyes, and Paden now has fangs that they need to find out what is going on.

It...more
Yvensong
Maybe even 4 1/2 stars

This first novel of a trilogy, left me hungry for more. It is well-written and very engaging.

The main character, Ree is strong, sometimes stubborn, sometimes weak and vulnerable, and interesting to follow as she learns she has an obligation to the world. The character has depth and it is very easy to build empathy toward this girl who is torn from the life she has known and also torn by her own inner turmoils.

The other characters are distinct and intriguing, with their own...more
Becca
Nice twist for the ya immortal genre! Got this book for $.99 and it beats any dollar menu item - hands down. I've been getting really frustrated lately with love triangles, wimpy plots and lackluster writing. If you have been too....don't fear this book.

Ok, truth be told, it may have a potential love triangle lurking in the pages. But the organic feel of the writing style and premise more than make up for this tired tension builder.

In the first few pages, you'll meet Ree. She's an artistically d...more
Andrea
I know I've said this a lot, but lately, I've had a hard time getting into paranormal young adult books. I don't know for sure why that is. Possibly it's because many of the books feel like similar stories with minor tweaks. So I've started going into these books with a "cautiously optimistic" outlook.

Mortal Obligation captured my attention right away. The plot isn't hesitant or plodding. The storyline fast-paced and steady. I don't enjoy books that dangle a secret over the reader for most of t...more
Kristin (Better Read Than Dead)
Nichole Chase has created a darkly mesmerizing adventure with Mortal Obligation. Vampires and traditional mythology intertwine to breed a fascinating new take on all things vampire. I absolutely love the world Nichole created for this book. Her characters have chemistry, although they are not all that complex. The third person narrative allows a greater understanding of everyone's successes and failures, pulling you along for the ride.

Ree (Alastriana) - A junior in high school who is charged wit...more
Katy
I really enjoyed this book because it didn't have your typical vampire and immortal elements. Yeah, the vampires are taking over the world, and there's a girl who has powers she has never known she has, and it's up to her to save everyone. But it had a new twist that the vampires didn't come from Earth, and Ree is being protected by these unique immortal guardians that are descendents of different gods. Pretty cool concepts.

I can honestly say I was never bored, from beginning to end. It didn't t...more
Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books)
I was really excited to get into Ree's world after reading the summary of Mortal Obligation. And my excitement was generously rewarded as I was swept up in this great story.

What I liked: 1) The Guardians. How they are...created, or tapped as Guardians is pretty cool. 2) Roland. Okay, I'm majorly crushing on this guy. He seems to be super sweet, but also kinda dangerous at the same time. 3) And then of course there's Paden. Strong, sorta silent type whose nursing an unrequited crush? Let's say it...more
Rebecca
Mortal Obligation is quite a unique novel. I thought that it had a really great execution and there was just action from the word go. It was really good to be sucked into the story and then to keep getting pulled into the story so that I could get it read in no time.

I liked Ree as a character and I thought her full name Alastriana, was really cool. It was different, unique and I really liked it. I also liked Paden and Juliette. Actually, come to think of it there wasn't really any of Ree's frien...more
Kathy Coleman
My Rating: <3 <3 <3 <3
Great!

The Plot: (Summary from GoodReads)

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

To make matters worse, Ree has started to...more
Daphne
The plot was different but I wasn't drawn to the story. Normally I have issues putting a book down and it wasn't the case this time around.

Ree a geeky artsy girl in high school; of course doesn't feel she is pretty and no one notices her but she has a crush on her dead brothers best friend Paden. Paden a drop dead gorgeous guy who feels he needs to maintain his promise of protecting Ree as a little sister.

After sometime Ree feels she is being watched and discovers that she and her group of frien...more
Mireille Chester
I bought my copy of Mortal Obligation the day it released. Nichole had put up an excerpt and the instant I read it, I was hooked. It then took me forever to get to reading it. Well, so many months later, I finally got to it... and it was just as fantastic as the excerpt I remembered.

The story starts off normally enough. Ree goes out with friends and her brother's friend, Paden, whom she has feelings for. When she realizes she's left the tickets in the car, the two of them head back to get them....more
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
Ree fears she is being followed by something lurking in the shadows. She is right. While out with friends, Ree is attacked. And the world she thought she knew changes in an instant. No longer a typical teenager, she is now the only hope for mankind against a group of deadly vampires called the Dark Ones. And yeah, these guys don't sparkle. Each of her friends are given special powers and become Guardians in order to protect Ree in the battle against the Dark Ones. With only a week left before sc...more
Justina
I really liked this book. I can't wait for the next one. I liked the way it gave a new twist to vampires and through in a little mythology too. Very good.
Stacy
reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

I gave it 3.5 stars

I love when a new book that incorporates the Gods and their gifts comes out. I don't know why it intrigues me so much but it does and I enjoy reading the interpretations of the different myths that authors have for their characters and stories.

Ree and her friends had a great mix of personalities. They are all extremely loyal to each other from the beginning. MORTAL OBLIGATION had a great pace to it. The action and training of...more
Hira
Let's play 10 Questions, shall we? So Hira...

1) Did you like this book? - Yes. I did. Why the hell would I give it 4.5 stars then? Sorry. Didn't mean to snap. Don't ask stupid questions.

2)Did you hate this book? - See question 1. Also take my advice on the whole 'don't-ask-stupid-questions' bit.

3)How do you feel about the main protagonist?- We have Love/ Hate relationship. I loved at her at some stages and sometimes I had the urge to flick her on the forehead.

3)How did you find her Romantic Inte...more
Kerri
First I have to say that I love the dark and mysterious, yet beautiful cover.

Okay so I downloaded this book off Amazon for only 99 cents and trust me you never know what you will get when you download one of these types of books. Let me just say that I was very pleasantly surprised. "Mortal Obligation" by Nichole Chase was something totally different - a fresh new paranormal idea which was pure fun to read.

The main character is popular, 17-year-old Ree McKenna, an artsy, strong independent girl...more
Jackie
Synopsis

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows...more
Gabbi  Calabrese
Actual rating: 4.5 stars
You can go HERE to see an interview with the author!

Uh, wow. This book stunned me! Heart-pounding action, exciting characters, and shocking secrets ensnared me in the world of Mortal Obligation.

Nichole Chase has a writing style that demanded my attention from the very beginning. After the first sentence, I was completely hooked! She has a way of creating a fitting atmosphere for every scene. I could feel the danger that lurked, feel when the mood tensed and lightened. And...more
Celina Ortiz
First things first: I have never ever had the character on the front cover of a book match exactly what my mind creates the person to look as I am reading... *Hats off* to Nichole Chase and her mother-in-law Lisa on the cover creation.. O.k.. so with that being said we all know it's what happened on the pages after the cover that we all want to know about.

With hundreds of new paranormal books being released every year it is really hard for an author to separate herself from the rest with an int...more
Brie
I died a little when I got the last page and there wasn't another. I absolutely loved the mixture of the aspects of the fictional world. Gods+Energy Power+ Guardians+VampireAliens+Awesome Characters= A knocked my socks of with intensity book. Dont even try to understand what this book is about from my little equation just read it and if your socks don't fly off your feet. well.. don't tell me because we'll have a problem. I might have a new favorite series.

Speaking of intensity/characters... ;)...more
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
This book was pure awesome!! Mortal Obligation was just the right length and gave up just enough info. Yeah, there are many questions I'm left asking but that's enough to make me excited for the next book.

I know some people have issues with love triangles but in this book you could hardly tell. Of course on one hand we have Paden, who doesn't know what to do with his feelings, and on the other hand we have Roland, who has some baggage but you can tell he knows what he wants. The story doesn't fo...more
C.C. Jackson
I had a lot of trouble getting into this book. I found it overly descriptive which would normally be a good thing but in this book it was kind of annoying. Like- she added ham and cheese to her sandwich. Then decided she wanted pickles and then a pinch of salt, etc. I skimmed over the majority of the writing just to get to a scene that had any relevance to the plot. It also had a lot of weird mistakes. One minute it was midnight on New Years and the next sentence would say "since it was 2am". Th...more
Lee
I put my life on hold for two days and used every bit of free time I had to read the book. Could not put it down for the life of me. It is an awesome read and extremely engaging! I loved it, simply put.
It picks up quickly and just keeps going from there never slowing down even at the very end. You can't help but be drawn into the story and characters. I cannot wait for the next book in there series! If you are even just remotely interested in this genre, this book is a MUST READ!
Spoiledduchess
Oct 27, 2011 Spoiledduchess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Mortal Obligation by author Nichole Chase, is an enjoyable young adult paranormal book. The story follows the plight of Ree and her friends coming to terms with their new found powers. Ree and the gang are an interesting and diverse group of characters. This is a good adventure with some twists that I didn't see coming. I thought it was a little bit slow in the begining, but it picks up and is worth the read. I'm looking forward to more of this story.
Erica Glass
Gosh I just feel like I must be missing something here. The book has 4-5 star reviews and even one of my favorite authors gave it high regard.

It's not bad, but just not OMG Good like everyone else seems to think. I do like the fresh concept of vampires/aliens and all the earth gods. I did like the twist with the brother at the end.

I didn't like how 9 main characters were thrown at me in the first few pages. I guess that's just too many for my brain. And I didn't connect with any of them. And i...more
I enjoyed this book very much. I found the story to be extremely interesting and different. The author brings in several different mythology backgrounds into the story. I absolutely love learning about that stuff. Of course there is the love triangle. The main girl with 2 men. Oh who should I pick. haha! But again, I found this story to be refreshing and can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Elizabeth Sharp
From the moment I started this book, it was abundantly clear that Nichole Chase has a true gift for storytelling. From the first word to the last I was enthralled and unable to focus until I knew what was going to happen. When I reached the end, I was a little sad that there wasn't any more. I am certain this book has something in it to appeal to any paranormal lover!
Veray Carter
This story is an interesting twist on vampires and children of the Gods. Not just Greek Gods, but Gods of many cultures and countries. It was a little hard to keep them all straight and some of them I had never heard of. Vampires are from another planet and waging a war on Earth and the children of the Gods must take up the battle and win so humanity can exist in peace. I really liked the story and the characters. Ree is the main characters and Paden is the boy she loves. He is destined to prote...more
  • Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Meant to Be (The Saving Angels, #1)
  • Paranormal Public (Paranormal Public, #1)
  • Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood, #1)
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem, #1)
  • Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1)
  • The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Reveal (Cryptid Tales, #1)
  • Kindred (The Kindred, #1)
  • Savor (Warm Delicacy, #1)
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Serenity (Afterlife,#2)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads Academy, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
Author Bio:

Nichole Chase is a daydreamer. No, really, just ask any of the math teachers that had the misfortune of seeing her name appear on their class schedule. For years she has had story lines and characters begging for attention, but she resolutely pushed them aside to focus on more normal (read, boring) jobs. Well, no longer! She is currently heeding the voices in her head and frantically wr...more
More about Nichole Chase...
Suddenly Royal (Suddenly, #1) Mortal Defiance (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #2) Recklessly Royal (Suddenly, #2) Immortal Grave (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #3) Flukes

“I want you to tell me how this normally works. Do we hunt down the Dark Ones? Do we have a scheduled battle with the Big Bad Dark One? Do I need to run up and hit him in the face with a glove and declare a duel? What?” 9 likes
“I came to acquaint myself with the young lady over breakfast." Roland nodded to the tray.

"Acquaint yourself? Over breakfast? Is that a metaphor?" Weylin's whisper carried throughout the room, but Bryce shook his head and nodded to Paden's quivering frame.

"Not now, dude. We'll have a Language Arts class later," Bryce said out of the corner of his mouth.”
8 likes