What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough: The Real Deal on Perfectionism: A Guide for Kids

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Perfectionism may seem like a worthy goal, but it’s actually a burden. When you believe you must be perfect, you live in constant fear of making mistakes. Most children don’t know what perfectionism is, yet many suffer from it. Nothing they do is ever good enough. School assignments are hard to start or hand in. Relationships are challenging, and self-esteem is low. Writte...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough

Kirsten Hobbs
This is a short, nice book if you have a child with perfectionist behavior. It is written for kids, around 4th grade and up. I got it for my 6 year old. I read it, and now we will go through parts of it together.

One thing I learned is that perfectionism is not trying to do really well. Rather it's FEAR of NOT doing really well. Also, it is not an emotional disorder on it's own. This clarification was helpful to me.

This books has clear definitions, as well as easy journaling assignments and expe...more
Meadow
Well. I read this book with my daughter, hoping to come up with some good coping mechanisms for her perfectionism and other quirks. I didn't realize I would learn so much about myself as well. Well written, easy for children and adults to relate to. If you have any perfectionistic leanings I would definitely recommend this!
Stacy
If you have a child who is a perfectionist and is constantly being very hard on themselves, this book is for you.

I learned a few things and have some ideas on how to help my perfectionist child relax a little bit and realize that sometimes . . . good enough is, well, good enough.

Roseanne Cheng
Roseanne Cheng marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Tenley
Tenley marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Elsie
Elsie added it
Mar 05, 2013
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jan 07, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Clara Merklin
Clara Merklin marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Thomas S. Greenspon, Ph.D., is a Licensed Psychologist and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice. He earned his B.A. from Yale and his Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Illinois. Tom lectures and writes on a variety of topics including perfectionism and the emotional needs of gifted children and adults.
More about Thomas S. Greenspon...
Freeing Our Families From Perfectionism Moving Past Perfect: How Perfectionism May Be Holding Back Your Kids (and You!) and What You Can Do About It