Living with Less: The Upside of Downsizing Your Life

Living with Less: The Upside of Downsizing Your Life

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Mark Tabb won't ignore the facts about the hectic pace of modern life that we are, ironically, often too tired to acknowledge and change. In his candid and spiritually insightful Living with Less, he declares, “The only way to get more out of life is to choose less. Less stuff. Less activity. Less wanting more. . . . May God give us the courage to choose less stress in ord...more
Published January 1st 2006 by B&H Publishing Group

Andrew
This book is a decent investigation into the basics of existential downsizing. Not existential in the Camus-ian sense, but existential in the sense of existing/living/loving/surviving with less. crap. in. your. life.

amen!

The book is a good kick in the rear to get you thinking about how you may be able to simplify your own existence, but isn't tremendously well written. In fact, while reading this book, I was constantly hit with the thought that "yes, indeed, I too could become an author." I'm so...more
M. E.  Kinkade
Preaches to the choir (only those interested in living with less would pick up this book, but it's a treatise on why you should live with less) and offers very little substance. The anecdotes sound invented and fake.
Pat Roseman
In this world of excess, this is a great encouragement to learn to do with less so that we are free to help others as God leads. Obviously, there's a lot more to this book, and it was a very good read.
Arianna
Just wasn't my cup of tea...didn't realize it was written with such a religious bent. Loved the initial concept, but couldn't get past the intro (or the table of contents, which I subsequently checked).
Diana Barrick
I own this, Kindle edition. Thought I'd be reading a book giving the particulars of how many coffee mugs should be kept in my cupboards and instead was engaged on a soul searching, God focused encounter on how to strive for what's important in life. He quotes often from famous Christians such as CS Lewis and Bonhoeffer. There are many quotes from Richard Foster, Celebration of Disciplines, which I'm studying with my Sunday school class. The two books have gone hand in hand- an unexpected encoura...more
Linda
I loved this book. I believe the truth of downsizing ALL areas of our lives is the key to personal fulfillment.
Melissa
The author's intention is for the reader to understand that downsizing your material possessions and your world-driven activities should all be done with a spirit to serve. It gives you the ability to think of others, not self. It gives you the ability to serve God through serving man's needs.

We are all seeking happiness and peace, yet it's really our souls longing for something only found with God. Eternity is the only place we can find it perfectly fulfilled because this home on earth is temp...more
Jennifer Crone
Sometimes you have to just say no. This book fundamentally changed the way I look at how I choose to spend my time and my family's time. It starts out a little morbid, but how true it is that if we hope to complete our lives and be remembered a certain way, we have to decide on how to spend the time that we have, day by day. Really, our days are what add up to our lives and the way that we affect our familes and friends with our words, actions and inactions, is what ends up being our lives.
Cathy
I loved this book. It was hard to put down. The author tells it like it is. I had originally purchased the book because of the title and had no idea what I was in store for. Downsizing your life is easier in midlife than in earlier years. The spiritual rewards are great and so worth the sacrifices that need to be made.
Lindsay
The most poignant point for me was that speed is the enemy of influence. In order for my life to matter to those God put in my life, my life needs to be smaller in every way: less of me, less stuff, and less appointments on the calendar.
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Denise Gerhard
Denise Gerhard marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Rachel Cade
Rachel Cade marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Natalie Hackl
Natalie Hackl marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Laine Young
Laine Young marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Julie Van Tol
Julie Van Tol marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kitti Boesel
Kitti Boesel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 03, 2014
Melinda Wyse
Melinda Wyse marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Sacred Acre: The Ed Thomas Story How Can a Good God Let Bad Things Happen? Own Your Faith: The Adventure of Following Christ in College Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope Mission to Oz