Start by marking “My Life Next Door” as Want to Read:
My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door )

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  88,945 Ratings  ·  6,928 Reviews
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall
Published June 14th 2012 by Dial Books For Young Readers

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberPushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
2012 YA Contemporaries
3rd out of 293 books — 2,610 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Book Boyfriends
110th out of 7,036 books — 23,697 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenn

What I loved about this book:
1. NO teenage angst from Samantha
2. NO teenage drama with the main characters
3. Jase and Samantha were very mature 17-year-olds (very refreshing)
4. GEORGE
5. The Garrett family
6. The easy, loving, trusting and patient relationship Jase has with Samantha
7. I LOVED that this book put a smile on my face and made me laugh almost the entire book. Although it did have me teary eye a little bit at one point. :o)
8. FINALLY I loved that this book sucked me in and never wanted
Ariana
Mar 20, 2015 Ariana rated it it was amazing

This is why I read YA books - to get this feeling of joy, of happiness, of love.. Because I simply LOVE feeling my head so light and having my heart skip a beat remembering how it felt to fall in love for the first time (and every time after that).

I really like stories like this, that get you through every stage of a young relationship; that make you hold your breath for the romantic moments, for the first kiss; that make you smile at all the silliness and cuteness of the couple; that make you
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When I checked this book out at the library, my favorite librarian looked at me funny and said "This is not a you book". I told her that every once in awhile I want fluffy. I can do romancy young adult.

I think I should probably stick mostly with the serial killers and stalkers

Princess perfect Samantha lives a fairy tale life. Her mommy is a politician who gained her throne through that handy trust fund.

Now next door to this paradise is one of "those families". The ones that never mow their la
Liz* Fashionably Late

UNPOPULAR OPINION HERE.

Samantha is a rich, perfect girl with the perfect life, body and shit. She's got it all but a boyfriend. Her neighbor is single, hot and ridiculously perfect. She's been stalking admiring him from her balcony for evah. HEY, IT'S LIKE MEANT TO BE. The thing is Mom hates the Garrets. They're too many (eight kids) and those morons never heard about birth control so Sam will be in SERIOUS trouble if she fraternizes with the enemy.
description

Life won't give her a break, though. She is su
Glass
Sep 08, 2013 Glass rated it it was amazing
This book was worth waiting for. I've read it in two days despite the fact that I was head over heels in all that boring end-of-the-school-year paperwork that us, teachers, are so fond of.

First, I can not believe that this is Huntley Fitzpatrick's debut novel. I've read so many bad books lately and those autors didn't have the excuse of first attempt in their writing carieers. My Life Next Door reminded me a lot of Sarah Dessen novels - by the concept and the writing style. And I love Sarah Des
Maureen
Sep 07, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Sam and Jase are SUCH great characters and I really enjoyed seeing them fall in love (even if it was a little bit of insta love).
A lot of things surprised me about this book, and it just gave me the warm fuzzies all the time.
I AM STILL SMILING. So great. So wonderful. Bless.
Keertana
Aug 07, 2015 Keertana rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Everything about My Life Next Door screams “summer chick-flick”! From its flirty cover, to its sappy title, to its shockingly bright synopsis, you’d think you couldn’t go wrong with this book. I was expected a Sarah Dessen type novel and what I got instead is something I can only relate to authors who I happen to loathe like Stephanie Meyer or Becca Fitzpatrick, even though they’re not contemporary authors. I think what pains me the most is that I really liked the first half
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 4.95 brilliant, beautiful, breathtaking stars out of 5!

FACT #1: I'm not a contemporary girl. I love paranormal books way more than my realistic ones; worlds that don't really exist enthrall me way more than real ones do. Because those supernatural books are usually more badass, intense, and fun than everyday romances.

FACT #2: My Life Next Door totally voids the first fact!!

Where can I even start with how much I loved this book? How much it took me surprise, grabbed my heart, and wouldn't
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Why, thank you book for all these wonderful platitudes. We need to part ways now though, at 35%, but don't worry, I'll compile here every amazing moment we shared together.

Remember when Jase and Sam fell in love over a lemonade at 9%? Because I was there to follow their astounding banter and was deeply moved by the slow burn of their feelings....

"He drains the entire thing in one gulp, then reaches for the other cup.
"That's mine," I say.
"Oh, jeez. Of course. Sorry. I
am thirsty."
I extend my
Cait Grace
Oct 24, 2015 Cait Grace rated it really liked it
You know how I'm a contemporary snob? And it takes sooooo muuuuch for a contemporary to wrap around my heart and turn me into happiness and sprinkles? Well this book successfully stole my heart. SCRAP THAT. IT STOLE MY SOUL. I AM SO IMPRESSED RIGHT NOW. I have a few niggles, but gahhhhhh. I loved it. It basically went through a checklist of ALL the things that win me over. So it's basically possible that Huntley Fitzpatrick wrote it for me, okay? Just so you know.

Because it had:
• huge emphasis
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 22, 2015 Jennifer Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

What an enjoyable young adult story! Samantha is the daughter of the Connecticut’s Senator and has lived next door the the large Garrett family for many years. She watches them but never engages until the summer before her senior year when she meets Jase Garrett and his seven siblings. Her mother is a real piece of work and not only looks down on the Garrett family but gets caught up with her new campaign guy Clay and lacks a lot of the important mom skills. The author throws in a great cast of
Kristin (KC)
Oct 11, 2014 Kristin (KC) rated it liked it
Recommended to Kristin (KC) by: Erica
Shelves: new-adult-ya, sweet
*3.5 Stars*

A fun and refreshing, sweet summer read! The writing was fluid and wonderfully captured the essence of being a teen in a very realistic manner.

While the story didn't necessarily blow me away, it certainly held my interest and warmed my heart.

Samantha is a young girl who, at first glance, appears to have it all. She's beautiful, wealthy, and has a determined mother in politics who keeps up a perfect appearance for their well-respected family.

But Samantha isn't happy.

Because her mo
Karla
4 1/2 Stars!! This was a 5 plus star read for me…until the end, because there really wasn’t one, or at least not one that satisfied me. I only detracted a half a star, because the rest of the book was amazing. I enjoyed the comparisons and stereotypes of two completely different families.

Samantha is a sweet, determined young woman who is showcased, yet sheltered by her mother. After many years of observing the family next door, she finally meets Jase, the third oldest in the Garrett clan. He app
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Aug 19, 2013 Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* rated it really liked it

My Life Next Door tells us the story of Samantha, a girl who practically has spent her 17 years watching The Garrets. All the time

The Garrets are her neighbors next door and Sam’s mother hates them because they remind her of her ex- in laws. They are a huge family, very noisy and carefree, they are happy. And even though Sam’s mom told her to never ever have contact with them she can’t help but stare at them all the time.

And one night while she’s spying them, Jase comes to “rescue her”.

”Hey, n
Stacey (prettybooks)
One of my favourite boys in YA contemporary fiction is Étienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss and Jase Garrett from My Life Next Door is now up there with him!

Seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed lives a quiet, stable life compared to her neighbours. The Garretts are loud and chaotic and everything Samantha's senator mother tries to avoid, so Samantha knows her mother would not be happy that she has fallen in love with Jase. Jase's parents and their seven other children – Joel, Alice, And
Sandra
2.5 I'M-HAVING-AN-ANGER-ATTACK-OVER-HERE STARS

Thank you dear Rosalinda for BR with me <3

There were quite a few characters i really wanted to stab in the eye and push off a cliff. Let's make a list.

1. Samantha (but only towards the end).
2. Gracie (Samantha's mother)
3. Clay (Samantha's mum boyfriend).
4. Nan (Samantha's BFF).

ways to1

But for my sake i'm going to keep this review short and sweet.

One thing my mother never knew, and would dissaprove of most of all, was that i watched the Garretts. All
Regan
Aug 31, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

AHHHH SO GOOD AND CUTE AND AHHHHHHHH
Sophia
Sep 07, 2015 Sophia rated it really liked it
I remember being super excited for this book because Katie from Katie's Book Blog compared the level of awesomeness to Anna and the French Kiss. And since AatFK is basically my favorite contemporary ever, you can imagine how high my expectation were. Which is why I was so sad when I started the book and felt... empty. I didn't connect well with Samantha. She seemed sort of detached to me. Her voice wasn't very strong in my head while I was reading and that made me lack invested emotions in the b ...more
Lora
Feb 08, 2013 Lora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of YA realistic fiction; 15+
My Life Next Door is the kind of story that you expect to be light and fluffy . . . but then it surprises you.
I thought this book would be very cliché: little rich girl falls for the boy next door; gets a whole new perspective on life through the eyes of a financially-strained, but very happy — unlike her own — family; and learns something big about herself over the course of one short summer. In a lot of ways, that is what this book is about. But, in truth, it is about so much more.

Samantha R
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 09, 2016 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I thought it was just going to be a simple and fun romance novel but it was so much more. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because the ending seemed a bit rushed and implausible to me, and it also left some things unanswered. But overall this was a great contemporary with relatable characters and interesting plot.
Christine Riccio
Jan 03, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I'd say more like 4.57 stars. Here's my full review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88UYL...
♥Rachel♥
Jul 09, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it

For years, Sam had watched the Garrett's from her bedroom next door. They're life was so opposite from the one she led. Sam has the perfect trust-fund mother who currently is a congresswoman, and the beautiful older sister always out with her latest conquest. It's just the three of them, as Sam's dad left while her mother was pregnant with her. The Garrett's always had a lot going on with eight children: five boys and three girls. They were the type that always had the toys lying about in the fr
Anne
Jun 26, 2012 Anne rated it did not like it
This book went from a 5-star read to a 1-star read.

I thought it would be about a romance. A contemporary novel that usually explores the values of family, friendship, life etc.

But by the end of the book...all I could think was, really? what was the point of all that drama?

There were so many unresolved issues (view spoiler), and it made me frustrated. (view s
Annie Brewer
Jul 28, 2012 Annie Brewer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone that loves a heartbreakingly beautiful romance
FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!!!!!! That is how I describe this book!!! The characters, the plot, the romance, the emotion, the tension, the writing, EVERYTHING about this book was incredible!!! It was well worth the long wait to read. When I first heard about this, I knew it was going to be a good one. IT. DID. NOT. DISAPPOINT.

First of all, the cover. My God, the cover is gorgeous! I love the fence in the background that separates the two families with Jase and Sam standing there in an embrace. HOT!!!!!
Jaime Arkin
From the outside it looks like Samantha Reed has everything, a successful mother, excellent grades, a wonderful best friend and her days are busy with jobs she doesn't need. But Samantha spends her nights on her roof watching the loud, messy, loving and affectionate, ginormous family next door, never judging them like her mother does...wishing she could be a part of something like they have. Then one night Jase climbs her trellis and joins her.

Jase and Samantha's relationship builds easily and
Cara
Feb 14, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it
The summer is coming to a close for me and I'll have to start going back to the smell of crisp new notebooks, the sound of zipping book bags, and the general chatter of bleary-eyed students, awww school right? Anyways I needed my last summer read and this book was able to deliver on that front, but I think I may have become a less focused person in general this summer (I guess school is good for something). And here's why: I felt good at the end of the book but utterly confused. This does happen ...more
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Apr 23, 2016 Maddie (Heart Full Of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book can be split into two different sections: 'Boy and Girl Fall in Love and Discuss Sex' and 'Political Scandal'. The first section, the romance bit, was really realistic. I've never read a contemporary before that takes on the awkward-before-sex conversations, and I appreciated how honest it was. Reading about Sam and Jase get to know each other's strength and weaknesses was so sweet, and I loved every second with the Garrett family.

The political side of the story didn't interest me as
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review has also been posted at Carole's Random Life

I can't believe that I have waited nearly a month to review this book! For some reason, I just have not felt compelled to put my feelings about this book into words as of yet....maybe because I don't have a lot of feelings about this book. I expected it to be great. Everyone seems to love this book so I expected that I would love it just as much. I was very wrong. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special in my book. In fact, I would have
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book on AMAZON
or buy this book on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I just finished reading this title. Full review to come. CAN JASE GET ANY MORE IRRESISTIBLE AND PERFECT????!!!! MY GOSH.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a
Jul 23, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Update 7/23/2012: I did end up writing a bit more about this book on the blog after all.

I'm waffling between three and four stars with this one (which is why I hate rating systems and we don't have one on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves, btw). There were elements I LOVED and there were elements that drove me crazy.

I really, really enjoyed the relationship between the main characters, and I LOVED that their relationship actually started fairly early in the book, because it seems like so many contempor
  • In Honor
  • Such a Rush
  • Something like Normal
  • Stealing Parker
  • Keep Holding On
  • If I Lie
  • From What I Remember...
  • What a Boy Needs (What a Boy Wants, #2)
  • What I Didn't Say
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • Speechless
  • Second Chance Summer
  • Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • A Midsummer's Nightmare
  • The Distance Between Us
  • Send Me a Sign
  • The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life
  • When You Were Mine
Huntley Fitzpatrick grew up dreamy and distracted in coastal Connecticut. She flourished in a family of bookworms where everyone always had their nose in a book. She kept an exhaustively thorough journal which frightened her boyfriends but has proved very useful in her career as a writer. Her debut contemporary Romance, MY LIFE NEXT DOOR, was published in June of 2012 by Penguin-Dial for Young Rea ...more
More about Huntley Fitzpatrick...

My Life Next Door (2 books)
  • The Boy Most Likely To

“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”

I start coughing again. “Uh, No. No, George. I’m only seventeen.” As if that’s the only reason we’re not engaged.

“I’m this many.” George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. “But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live in here with him. And have a big family.”

Jase strides back into the room, of course, midway through this proposition. “George. Beat it. Discovery Channel is on.”

George backs out of the room but not before saying, “His bed’s really comfortable. And he never pees in it.”
579 likes
“Maybe if I can just sleep for a hundred years, I'll wake up in a better story.” 415 likes