Start by marking “101 Things to Do Before You Diet” as Want to Read:
101 Things to Do Before You Diet

101 Things to Do Before You Diet

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the co-author (with Michael Mosley) of the bestselling The Fast Diet, a feel-good, fun book that reveals the secrets that will make a difference to how you look and feel about yourself. Because looking great isn't just about losing weight!

Ways to eat, ways to cheat. What to wear, what to ditch.

This sassy, funny and practical book by style guru Mimi Spencer includes h
Published January 1st 2010 by Bantam (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things to Do Before You Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things to Do Before You Diet

This isn't rocket science, perhaps, but I liked the common-sense approach the author takes, and the ways she encourages the reader's efforts to appreciate their body and take care of it. Love the emphasis on sustainable care and non-dieting.
Jaime
This is one of the very few books I have bought after reading someone else’s glowing review.

Mimi Spencer has taken on the world of trying to get ‘trim, taut and terrific’ like many others, but she has done it in an anti-diet way through common sense. Flitting through everything from how to cut those extra calories to bum and tum flattering apparel, Spencer takes an all-around approach to getting you looking and feeling great.

I have to say, as someone who is used to reading books about either wha
C

She had some good insight and tips in here into living "slimmer." In the end, any book that addresses weight is to me, a diet book, but I liked the wardrobe and makeup tips, the suggestions for slimming clothes and ideas along with suggestions on how to alter your lifestyle and eating habits.

Overall, if you're considering changing things in your life to lead towards weight loss, it's worth a library check-out. There will likely be a few things in there you haven't thought of, or a point of view
Rania Ajjan El Hadid
An interesting read that left me feeling better about how i felt about myself and my weight. As well as giving me a new insight into the diet marketing and food industry, the book also taught me not to idolise people that we view are better than us. I felt inspired to change by myself, not with the so called help of the latest dieting fad or fashion craze.
A.J.
I found this book an interesting, if contradictory, read. Partly it's a self-help, know-thyself, love-thyself kind of read, with practical tips on living a healthier lifestyle. But then there are a load of fashion tips thrown in - what shoes to wear, which handbags are to die for, that sort of thing. This isn't too surprising, given Spencer's job as a fashion editor, but I definitely enjoyed and related to the former bits more than the latter. And on Spencer's recommendation, I am now going to t ...more
Melody
I'm not a diet book kind of person, but the cover on this was so appealing I had to give it a shot. The advice seems pretty realistic and warm, there are no recipes (yay!) but there is also almost no mention of exercise (boo!). The author is far more fashionable than I will ever be, and all her tips'n'tricks about mascara and good haircuts sailed right over my head. But again, it's a warm and sympathetic book that mostly boils down to "be as healthy as you can, and love the skin you're in" which ...more
Mikelle Caine
It's a good book to remind you that dieting isn't everything. Has some good tips in there to remind you to just be healthy instead of forcing yourself to harm yourself in the pursuit of a lower weight value.
Angela
I won't say that any of the ideas are bad, because I think they could all help you appear or believe slimmer -- however, most of the ideas won't work for me. However the last thing she suggests is the best -- confidence goes a long way. People don't see the weight if you are above it too.

I found a few ideas, and agreed with a few ideas, and will probably leave this in the break room at work.
Alice
meraviglioso libro di "dritte" per donne che vogliono star bene con se stesse. star bene di salute, amare il proprio corpo e sapere come valorizzarlo. star bene dentro la propria vita, le proprie passioni e consolazioni (che non siano tutte ripiste nel...frigorifero...).
... ah, e magari anche perdere quache etto, ma non necessariamente. Brava brava. tutte le donne dovrebbero leggerlo!!
Trina
Goodreads Giveaway win!

Go out right now and buy some shape wear, you will be glad you did. This book is chocked full of good tidbits like that. Some are on the pretentious and slightly impossible case in point "wear high heels with everything" others just make good sense "order one dessert and two forks". Anyways, read it and find the tips you love and throw away the rest.
Cheryl
Lots of good tips and reinforcing what I know.
Ljubica
I don't even know why I bought this book. I must have been having a downer day. Anyway, it's basically a self-help book written by columnist/journalist who also has "off" days. See the title there? "Because looking great isn't just about losing weight". That's all you really need to know. The rest of the book is like reading a huge blog post.
Relyn
Sep 22, 2012 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
This book is like having a fit, hip, fabulous older sister in the fashion industry. IT's full of tips for living healthy, being fit, and looking your best. It's full of fun little boxes with titles like "How to Walk Like a Supermodel". It's just a great, commonsense, look great, feel great kind of book. I want to buy this one.
Melissa
A humorous, yet interesting, read. The author gave some excellent tips on how to approach dieting by just learning to love yourself first. The author shows how many diets fail and why and what you can do to change that...A very good book. It has helped me on my weightloss journey as well.
Megan
Wonderful book on loving your body and treating it well. You do not have to be overweight for this book- its a practical guide that gives you a healthy perspective on what is realistic and not in our world where healthy is completely represented with the wrong things. And its funny too.
Danielle Raine
NOT a diet book (thank goodness). This book is a really fun and enjoyable read. Full of fashion and nutrition info, insider secrets, tips and tricks etc. How to look (and feel) great without counting calories. Fab.
Bibliomama
This was a somewhat amusing little book, but the focus was more on how to become skinny, or look skinny, than how to be healthy. Not very interested in wearing high heels to look sexy. I'll stick to my Crocs.
Hannah Spencer
I don't think I am in Mimi Spencer's intended audience. Not a whole lot of new information... but it wasn't bad information.
Overly concerned with fashion.
I liked when she compared humans to hamsters.
Janet Maisel
The author is funny and there were some novel thoughts on the whole diet self esteem issue. It was good read while traveling by train for 7 hours.
ضحى الحداد
i couldn't finish the book .. it is very hard and a bit boring .. if i complete it i will post a new review about it ( doubt it ) !!
Pollypoptart
an interesting read but for something that claims to be a "no diet book", there were waaayyyy too many rules for my liking!
Linda Hopf
It was ok. She had a few new tips/suggestions, but for the most part I had heard it all before. Overall, just a big pep talk.
Julie
This is not a diet book. This is more like how to enjoy life at any size.
lisa
I love this book, something to read when my body image is low.
Katya
Contains great tips for improving one's lifestyle...
Filita Barker
Filita Barker is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • The Goddess Experience: Custom-made for You
  • The Legend of Pope Joan: In Search of the Truth
  • The Mediterranean Diet
  • The Book of Fame
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Di et and Nutrition Claims
  • Over the Holidays
  • The Frozen Water Trade: A True Story
  • Beyond Snapshots: How to Take That Fancy DSLR Camera Off "Auto" and Photograph Your Life like a Pro
  • Books Do Furnish a Room
  • The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Between!
The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy Fast Cook: Delicious low-calorie recipes to get you through your Fast Days The Fast Beach Diet: The super-fast 6-week programme to get you in shape for summer Fast Beach Diet: The Super-Fast 6-Week Programme to Get You in Shape for Summer The Fast Beach Diet: The Super-Fast Plan to Lose Weight and Get In Shape in Just Six Weeks