Blood in the Skies (The Hellfire Chronicles, #1)

Blood in the Skies (The Hellfire Chronicles, #1) (The Hellfire Chronicles #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  34 reviews

In 1908, the world ended in fire.

Humanity, always bad at following orders, refused to die. Now, two hundred years later, what remains is divided between civilized order and lawless frontier. For the citizens of the Commonwealth, the brave pilots of the Air Force are all that stand between them and the dreaded pirate lords of the Badlands. For generations, the two forces ha

Kindle Edition
Published (first published July 5th 2011)

Rob Backer
The great thing about this book is not only is it loaded with great art (something rare to find in a non YA novel) but it read like I was watching some great classic action adventure film. I highly suggest this book and look forward to the next book in the series.
Evelyn
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this book and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. I think the other reviews on this book speak for its quality and talent. It's nice to read a book with a strong female main character who feels like a real and likable person.
Other reviews for this book
Praise for Blood in the Skies:
"This is steampunk clanking to life on the page."
-Jay Lake, Campbell Award winner and author of Mainspring

“G. D. Falksen’s witty, anachronistic, and downright...more
Dave
I loved this book. I picked it up via all the hype around it and really found it to be great. I loved this new authors style and flow. The book felt like I was reading a wonderful film. I really am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Kari
I'm going to be honest: I was taken in by the hype and push of this book, and enthralled with the prospect of reading a novel by a prominent member in the Steampunk community. My experience with the Steampunk genre (or even dystopian, or post-apocalyptic genres), is having read Scott Westerfield's Leviathan, and Cherie Priest's Boneshaker. So I was excited when I finally got my hands on this book, but then I realized it really was all hype.

I was intrigued by the premise--the world ends and rebui...more
edifanob
Steampunk, action, emotions and opened questions at the end. I wait for the next book in the series. It seems I'm lucky with my choice of steampunk books.
Angela Oliver
This did not feel particularly steampunk - despite the airships and the mention of aether - possibly because my previous dabblings in this "genre" have been novels such as Scott Westerfields "Leviathon" or Philip Reeve's "Mortal Engines" quartet. It felt more like historic fiction, maybe cica World War I. Still, I did feel it built up a solid background to the world - and one in which I would be keen to learn more. It did have a dramatic fighting climax, but did not complete the plot - merely to...more
Hanna
Feb 18, 2012 Hanna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
I got for the holidays the two album sound track for this book as a great gift. My father did not even know that the music was for this book when he got it for me. I then felt I had to get the book as I already loved the music based around it. This book is great, much like the other reviews you read it feels like your reading a great action film. I really did not mean to read this book all in one sitting but I could not put it down. So be warned this book might rob a night of sleep if you read i...more
Ral
I love this book!
Made me miss my bus stop I was so in to reading it ;-p
Alice
Dec 19, 2011 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alice by: Sister
Worth staying up all night and reading.
Spider
I highly recommend this book for those readers who enjoy a good story, great characters and a world that you can clearly see - Falksen is perfect for this task and his pen is poised to grip you. Whether you are a fan of the subculture or simply a lover of fantasy/science fiction genre novels, this is the book you will not be able to put down.

From the very first pages you are completely enveloped into Falksen's words, full of intriguing plot and lush people. He provides a spectacular main charac...more
Jen
This book provides not only a good, fast paced story, but peeks into what may very well turn out to be a much larger epic than I expected after the first few pages. The pace reminds me of the old Indiana Jones movies, with the characters narrowly escaping one dangerous encounter only to have the odds raised against them on the next page. But the stereotypes for the characters are broken down and reassembled in a way that adds a fresh twist to the whole serial adventure thing.

All in all it was a...more
Lesa
Blood in the Skies is a well written, fast paced adventure novel set in an alternative world. The characters are well drawn and believable and the plot is intriguing. Once I started reading, I couldn't put the book down. I also liked the fact that the main character was a strong woman able to face any challenge. The dialogue is realistic and often adds a bit of humor to the story. I can't wait for the next installment.
Claudia
the story is great, the characters are good ... it could be really great. but in my opinion it is badly written. I am sorry, but that is the way I feel about it.
otherwise I would have loved it
Sheniver
Wonderful book and a read all should check out!
Frank
One of the better non graphic novels I have read all year.
Becky
It was a pretty decent book, but it felt much too short. I dislike when a series is really one huge book published as 3 or 4 - IMHO each book in a series should have its own purpose and resolution, in addition to the overarching storyline. Without that discrete resolution each time, it just feels like reading chapters that have been interrupted.

The author must also be a pilot, or really have a thing for pilots. There was a lot of aerial battling, descriptions and action. I know the dirigibles, e...more
M
I heard the GD Falksen read the prologue of this at the Dorian's Parlor one year anniversary and immediately asked my friend to hold my seat so I could go buy a copy, she handed me cash and asked that I grab one for her as well. It was worth far more than the fifteen dollars it cost that night. I have not been able to put this book down since I got it. I certainly recommend this book. The settings are vivid and the characters are interesting, the dialogue between Steele and Ray is quick paced an...more
Johnny Randall
Dreadful, unreadable mess. While the author is an amiable courteous man, and an impeccable gentleman, he is sadly lacking in grasping the basic tools of writing. The action is trite and unskilled, and the book was so bad I could not finish it. I found this tragic as Mr. Falksen has been held up as something to be emulated in Steampunk.
Trish
An interesting world and some interesting ideas, with a higher than normal proportion of strong female characters, including the lead, but it felt very like a first book.
Vittoria Corella
Oh. Blood in the Skies. Ci diamo allo steampunk.
Svolgimento: G.D. Falksen, da bambino, secondo me guardava Bud Spencer e Terence Hill. Non so se questi film erano popolari negli USA, ma forse sì, se no non mi spiego Blood in the Skies. Non è Bruce Willis, non è Schwarzenegger, è Bud Spencer! Assolutamente! Ovvero: si va avanti a forza di cazzotti. Sparatorie alla Trinità. Risse alla ‘io sto con gli ippopotami’. Andiamo con ordine: presupposto niente male, ovvero nel 1908, i perfidi Russi a Tung...more
Stacie
This was fluffy fun and I enjoyed the banter between the two main characters. It's an action story with lots of running, fighting and explosions and the writing is decent for the most part. Still, there are several things that keep this from being a four star read- the world building is fuzzy, there are a couple of scenes that (while entertaining) are in such a different style that they feel like they came from another story all together... and then there are the ghost-driven mummy/zombie/monste...more
Julianne
I admit it. I love steampunk. I had very high expectations for this book, especially since I've already read Ouroboros and really liked it. I felt like Falksen had a list: airships. check. female pilot/heroine. check. alternate reality event. check. pirates. check. And so on. It was bland, boring, and felt like the writing project of a first year college English major. The characters were flat to the point of absurdity. I was so disappointed! I wanted to love this book, but I can't.

If you want...more
Tiffany Mae
It started off with a bang and continued with nearly non-stop action. It was an easy enough read, but the story really lost me with the almost entirely unnecessary walking corpses. It was at that point where I basically just started wishing that the book would end already.

I have read much worse book, and I did find this one enjoyable enough. I just could have done without the corpses. Ghosts and poltergeists would have been just as effective and much more interesting than what essentially amount...more
Kathard1000 smith
Finally finished after it languishing in my ibooks for ever so long. Not sure why it took me so long to read it was a good adventure story that moved along quickly and the characters were likeable.
Loved the steampunk elements and the world building. Probably could put it down to my being easily distracted by shiny objects. I would have given it a 3.5 if possible or maybe 3.8.
Deborah Frew
I loved this book the energy and fun witty lines between the two main characters leaves me wanting more.

a an filled book with action.

The only downside to this book is the sequel is on hold at present.

All good things Come to those who wait, So wait I shall.

Tracy
This book has some nice action, but they way that the heroine is constantly adjusting her non-romantic partner's clothing is really distracting!

I felt it could have done with a more iron-fisted editor, as well. But I enjoyed it enough to finish it (and I'm a quitter).
Susan
Quick paced and filled with action. G.D. Falksen does a wonderful job of creating and filling a world that feels real and makes me keep wondering "and then what happened?" I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series!
Leah Morris
I'm not sure why I just 'liked" this book. There was good world-building, there were lots of strong female characters and I liked the relationship between the two main characters. But there was something missing.
Pete Pearson
A little confusing and slow to start of with, and still a lot that seems a little out of place and unexplained, but it is book one in a series. In the end I very much enjoyed it and I look forward to the sequel.
Bridgette
Hmm.It was weird to read a book with so many spelling errors--made me wonder about its editing process. But it was a fun, steam-punk adventure.
Goodreads Feedback: weird pattern on listopia -- am I overthinking it? 12 108 Apr 08, 2012 12:21AM
Steampunk Reads : Steampunk book sound track? 7 53 Jan 13, 2012 05:40AM
THE JAMES MASON C...: Steampunk book sound track? 1 8 Dec 17, 2011 03:06PM
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Like Clockwork
  • Infernal Devices
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • The Steampunk Bible: An Illustrated Guide to the World of Imaginary Airships, Corsets and Goggles, Mad Scientists, and Strange Literature
  • Thomas Riley
  • Mainspring (Clockwork Earth #1)
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Avalon Revisited
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
G. D. Falksen is an author, lecturer, public speaker and MC. He also studies history and blogs for Tor.com. While his repertoire spans a range of topics, he is currently most noted for his steampunk work and is one of the most recognizable figures in the steampunk literary genre and the related subculture. His debut novel, The Hellfire Chronicles: Blood In The Skies has just been released, to rave...more
More about G.D. Falksen...
The Ouroboros Cycle, Book One: A Monster's Coming of Age Story The Strange Case of Mr. Salad Monday Steampunk Tales preview -#1 A Cats Steampunk Alphabet The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires

“Many great things have been accomplished by the careful combination of keen minds and ardent spirits.” 11 likes