Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven

Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard #8)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  17 reviews

“I WAS THERE UNTILTHE END, MATE. THE BITTER, BLOODY END.”

Vanguard is under siege. Surrounded by enemies, Admiral Nogura sends the scout ship Sagittarius to find an ancient weapon that might be the Federation’s only hope of stopping the alien threat known as the Shedai . . . Qo’noS is wracked by scandal. Councillor Gorkon fights to expose a Romulan plot to corrupt members

Published March 27th 2012 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2012)

Terence
Apr 24, 2012 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ST novel fans; Mack fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Storming Heaven is a reasonably satisfactory conclusion to the “Star Trek: Vanguard” series, and – as usual – it’s largely due to Mack’s skill as a writer and his ability to weave a skein of disparate threads into a solid piece of cloth. Not another Bayeux tapestry, perhaps, but definitely a well stitched T-shirt that won’t fall apart after a few rounds in the washing machine.

I do have two problems with how the series worked out. One is the relegation of Diego Reyes to a passive observer of even...more
John Keegan

This is the final volume of the Star Trek: Vanguard miniseries, which has taken quite some time to see its conclusion. It's hard to believe that there were only eight main titles in the series, and that the story as a whole managed to remain relatively tight and self-contained. There's no doubt that this is the definitive ending to the saga, and it unspools at a blistering pace.

I look back fondly on the Deep Space Nine: Season 8 series of books, and when it was clear that the momentum of "Season...more
Robert Greenberger
A seven year saga comes to an explosive end. While Dave is known for his pyrotechnics and earns his nickname as the Angel of Death, there are many lovely, quiet moments here that can be overshadowed. T'Prynn with Spock and T'Prynn with Cervantes Quinn are two such moments and they give the book heart. The Enterprise scenes could have been somewhat better integrated and I don't entirely buy how they managed to entrap such powerful beings as the Shedai but those are quibbles compared with the scal...more
Tim Clarke Jr
A tour-de-force planet-killing one of a kind opus like no other. VANGUARD ends as it began: a breakneck pace, twists no one could predict, with characters that epitomize the finest Trek literature has to offer. We are in David Mack's debt for bringing VANGUARD into our world. Kudos to Mack and fellow scribes Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore and their co-conspirator Marco Palmieri for their triumph.
Dan
Amazing, amazing story. David Mack has managed the almost-impossible. He has crafted a conclusion to an amazing series that is on-par and in some ways even exceeds the quality of the build-up. Highly emotional ending to a series that has brought me great joy to read over the past couple of years.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/04/s...
Devario
What a ride! I've enjoyed Vanguard every step of the way, from the beginning to the bitter, bloody end. Kudos to David Mack, Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore and Marco Palmieri for this epic Star Trek literary saga. It makes me look at the original series in a whole new light.
Mark
An exciting finish to a fascinating series. Oh wait! Is there an epilogue of some kind on the way?
Andrew
This is the bitter, bloody end (as Tim Pennington described it at the end of What Judgments Come). All hell breaks loose in the conclusion to the outstanding Vanguard series. As you can see from the cover, Kirk's Enterprise gets thrown into the fray during the long-anticipated Tholian attack.

David Mack wraps things up well. Reyes, T'Prynn, Pennington, Quinn, Xiong, Fisher, and Carol Marcus all receive enough time here. That doesn't mean that everyone survives though...

Was reading all eight books...more
Paul Lunger
Never before in the history of the Star Trek fiction has a series been given an actual ending & never before has a series gotten quite the attention of the spin off series Star Trek: Vanguard. In "Storming Heaven", David Mack wraps up the story of Vanguard & finishes the concluding chapters of last year's "What Judgements Come". This time we finish the story being told around a visit by Tim Pennington to Diego Reyes & learn exactly how Vanguard ends & the consequences of those ac...more
Bjoern
Chris
What can I say? I haven't read published Trek licensed fiction since I was a teenager -- for good reason. Most of it is absolutely terrible.

However, Vanguard blows all of that away. It may not be high literature, but for what it is (basically professional fanfic), it is absolutely amazing. The four principle authors of this series have managed to craft deep, evolving original characters that you actually find yourself caring about, which is a feat in a genre dominated by Kirk/Spock slash fiction...more
Amelia
That's now the end of the series. And it finished with a bang. In an interview with David Mack I read that someone told him, that Vanguard is for the Original Series like the new Battlestar Galactica was for the old Battlestar Galactica. Both (TOS and the old BSG) are not as serious as the topic could be, from the view of early 21st century. But the new BSG and also Vanguard brought to the same time and events something real deep.
Vanguard placed to the time where the Klingons are still one of th...more
Tom
This was only so-so. All story lines ended rather neatly. No unexpected twists or turns. The most anti-climatic ending I've seen in a long time. A big letdown. Series not recommended.
Glenn Crouch
This was a worthy conclusion to the Vanguard series - and whilst not really a surprising conclusion, I did appreciate learning more about Gorkon and Chang (from Star Trek VI), and really like how issues from Wrath of Khan were addressed. I've always like continuity and cohesive Universes :)

I think the Enterprise and its well-known characters were used quite appropriately.

So good work by all Authors involved in series :)
Arlomisty
Loved this whole series... great ending!
Jonathan
A good ending to the series. All wrapped up, excellent way using the flashbacks. Carol... came off as an idiot. Let me be honest there.
Takiyah Dudley
Great ending to an interesting series...
Christopher Backa
Christopher Backa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
Lida Acle
Lida Acle marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Paget Nichols
Paget Nichols marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jeffrey Harlan
Jeffrey Harlan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN B005GG0JEA 2 44 Jun 10, 2013 12:08AM
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of many Star Trek novels, including the Destiny trilogy and the acclaimed Vanguard series. His scripting credits include episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Mack's first work of original fiction, a supernatural thriller titled The Calling, was published to critical acclaim in July 2009 by Simon & Schuster.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanma...more
More about David Mack...
Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1) Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3) Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2) The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1) Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)