Start by marking “Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven

Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard #8)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Vanguard is under siege. Surrounded by enemies, Admiral Nogura sends the scout ship Sagittarius to find an ancient weapon that might be the Federation’s only hope of stopping the alien threat known as the Shedai . . . Qo’noS is wracked by scandal. Councillor Gorkon fights to expose a Romulan plot to corrupt members

Published March 27th 2012 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Apr 24, 2012 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ST novel fans; Mack fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Storming Heaven is a reasonably satisfactory conclusion to the “Star Trek: Vanguard” series, and – as usual – it’s largely due to Mack’s skill as a writer and his ability to weave a skein of disparate threads into a solid piece of cloth. Not another Bayeux tapestry, perhaps, but definitely a well stitched T-shirt that won’t fall apart after a few rounds in the washing machine.

I do have two problems with how the series worked out. One is the relegation of Diego Reyes to a passive observer of even
John Keegan

This is the final volume of the Star Trek: Vanguard miniseries, which has taken quite some time to see its conclusion. It's hard to believe that there were only eight main titles in the series, and that the story as a whole managed to remain relatively tight and self-contained. There's no doubt that this is the definitive ending to the saga, and it unspools at a blistering pace.

I look back fondly on the Deep Space Nine: Season 8 series of books, and when it was clear that the momentum of "Season
Robert Greenberger
A seven year saga comes to an explosive end. While Dave is known for his pyrotechnics and earns his nickname as the Angel of Death, there are many lovely, quiet moments here that can be overshadowed. T'Prynn with Spock and T'Prynn with Cervantes Quinn are two such moments and they give the book heart. The Enterprise scenes could have been somewhat better integrated and I don't entirely buy how they managed to entrap such powerful beings as the Shedai but those are quibbles compared with the scal ...more
Vanguard concluded in exactly the way I wished it hadn't but expected it would. It features a star-studded deus ex machina, the most blatantly foreshadowed death in the history of the world, and a contrived excuse for none of this showing up in any other Star Trek series.

That being said, I kind of liked this book. It had some good character beats and certainly wrapped up all the disparate plot points. But that's pretty much all it did. The prose is some of the best in the series, but sometimes c
This was, for the most part, a well-written book with good pacing, characterizations, and plot. I dock it one star for a HUGE hole in the plot: if activating the array temporarily incapacitated the Tholians, and that's why they attacked the station, and that attack was so overwhelmingly overpoweing that there was no way to defend against it successfully, nor even to escape it without tremendous loss of life on both sides, why not just activate the array once the Tholians were within easy range, ...more
Tim Clarke Jr
A tour-de-force planet-killing one of a kind opus like no other. VANGUARD ends as it began: a breakneck pace, twists no one could predict, with characters that epitomize the finest Trek literature has to offer. We are in David Mack's debt for bringing VANGUARD into our world. Kudos to Mack and fellow scribes Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore and their co-conspirator Marco Palmieri for their triumph.
Amazing, amazing story. David Mack has managed the almost-impossible. He has crafted a conclusion to an amazing series that is on-par and in some ways even exceeds the quality of the build-up. Highly emotional ending to a series that has brought me great joy to read over the past couple of years.

Full review:
What a ride! I've enjoyed Vanguard every step of the way, from the beginning to the bitter, bloody end. Kudos to David Mack, Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore and Marco Palmieri for this epic Star Trek literary saga. It makes me look at the original series in a whole new light.
An exciting finish to a fascinating series. Oh wait! Is there an epilogue of some kind on the way?
This is the bitter, bloody end (as Tim Pennington described it at the end of What Judgments Come). All hell breaks loose in the conclusion to the outstanding Vanguard series. As you can see from the cover, Kirk's Enterprise gets thrown into the fray during the long-anticipated Tholian attack.

David Mack wraps things up well. Reyes, T'Prynn, Pennington, Quinn, Xiong, Fisher, and Carol Marcus all receive enough time here. That doesn't mean that everyone survives though...

Was reading all eight books
Paul Lunger
Never before in the history of the Star Trek fiction has a series been given an actual ending & never before has a series gotten quite the attention of the spin off series Star Trek: Vanguard. In "Storming Heaven", David Mack wraps up the story of Vanguard & finishes the concluding chapters of last year's "What Judgements Come". This time we finish the story being told around a visit by Tim Pennington to Diego Reyes & learn exactly how Vanguard ends & the consequences of those ac ...more
What can I say? I haven't read published Trek licensed fiction since I was a teenager -- for good reason. Most of it is absolutely terrible.

However, Vanguard blows all of that away. It may not be high literature, but for what it is (basically professional fanfic), it is absolutely amazing. The four principle authors of this series have managed to craft deep, evolving original characters that you actually find yourself caring about, which is a feat in a genre dominated by Kirk/Spock slash fiction
Overall, I really loved this series. It's a new take on the Original Star Trek, in a sector of space where the happy-go-lucky feel of the Original Series is contrasted with the darker and harder perils of space travel, and in this case, the management of a sector of space like in Deep Space 9. We finally get some more in-depth dealings with the Tholians, who I love as a theory. And one of the other benefits of this series is that they're not afraid to kill of characters.
More like 3 1/2 stars. I really liked the series at the start, but over the course of 8 years, I lost touch with it, and only got the chance to read the last few books in the series now, and I feel like i missed 1-2 others besides. I do like how it tied in really well with episodes in ST:TOS, and I did like the characters of Vanguard. Maybe I will take the time to reread through one day and be able to give a better opinion of the book and the overall series.
That's now the end of the series. And it finished with a bang. In an interview with David Mack I read that someone told him, that Vanguard is for the Original Series like the new Battlestar Galactica was for the old Battlestar Galactica. Both (TOS and the old BSG) are not as serious as the topic could be, from the view of early 21st century. But the new BSG and also Vanguard brought to the same time and events something real deep.
Vanguard placed to the time where the Klingons are still one of th
This was only so-so. All story lines ended rather neatly. No unexpected twists or turns. The most anti-climatic ending I've seen in a long time. A big letdown. Series not recommended.
Reluctantly giving this four stars for competent writing, though I do detest books that try to turn the utopian federation into some corrupt dystopia. Let me have my one bright vision for the future, there's plenty of grimdark and evil elsewhere.
Philip McClimon

Others have said this is the most enjoyable set of characters since you he original series. I agree. At first, I was concerned that there was not much focus on Kirk and the others, but as the series progressed I really got in tune with the characters. This final book in this series capped everything off nicely and I was sad to say goodbye to the characters and the story. Epic space opera and awesome story. I could see rereading the whole series again at some point.
Glenn Crouch
This was a worthy conclusion to the Vanguard series - and whilst not really a surprising conclusion, I did appreciate learning more about Gorkon and Chang (from Star Trek VI), and really like how issues from Wrath of Khan were addressed. I've always like continuity and cohesive Universes :)

I think the Enterprise and its well-known characters were used quite appropriately.

So good work by all Authors involved in series :)
Loved this whole series... great ending!
A good ending to the series. All wrapped up, excellent way using the flashbacks. Carol... came off as an idiot. Let me be honest there.
Takiyah Dudley
Great ending to an interesting series...
BK marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jason Liberg
Jason Liberg marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Stardreamer marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN B005GG0JEA 2 45 Jun 10, 2013 12:08AM
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Immortal Coil (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #64)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of many Star Trek novels, including the Destiny trilogy and the acclaimed Vanguard series. His scripting credits include episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Mack's first work of original fiction, a supernatural thriller titled The Calling, was published to critical acclaim in July 2009 by Simon & Schuster.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanma
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)

“Drinkin’ two-fisted are ya?” “It’s all right, love—I’m a writer.” 1 likes
“I read a report from Starfleet Command last year that said you’d met the Greek deity Apollo. I was just wondering . . . did that really happen?” Kirk glanced at someone off-screen, then his mouth curled upward with playful mischief. “I prefer to think that Apollo met me. . . . Enterprise out.” 1 likes