Start by marking “Abolition Democracy: Beyond Empire, Prisons, and Torture” as Want to Read:
Abolition Democracy: Beyond Empire, Prisons, and Torture

Abolition Democracy: Beyond Empire, Prisons, and Torture

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Revelations about U.S policies and practices of torture and abuse have captured headlines ever since the breaking of the Abu Ghraib prison story in April 2004. Since then, a debate has raged regarding what is and what is not acceptable behavior for the world’s leading democracy. It is within this context that Angela Davis, one of America’s most remarkable political figures ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Seven Stories Press (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Abolition Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abolition Democracy

Michael Strode
This small text is densely packed with Davis' insight into the history of social justice organization and mobilization, the injustice of the prison system, and the interweaving of that system with capitalism to create an exportable prison economy with both a profit and social repression incentive. It reads quickly as a conversation develops between Mendieta and Davis that displays his intense engagement with the subject of his interview.

There is a gem of an answer at the end of the interview whi
Amélie
Je trouve qu'Angela Davis est une figure fascinante. Mais c'est probablement pas ce livre-ci que j'aurais dû lire.

Ce à quoi on a droit ici, ce sont quatre entretiens (je crois? ma copie est déjà de retour à la bibliothèque) où Davis répond à toute une panoplie de questions qui couvrent, parfois un peu superficiellement, son parcours militant, sa critique du système carcéral américain, le racisme & l'exclusion sociale, l'utilisation de la torture à Guantanamo & à Abou Ghraïb, les contradi
Analleli Gallardo
I definitely agree that in order to truly understand what Davis means by "Abolition Democracy," this book is not enough and I recommend reading Are Prisons Obsolete? first. The interviewer's questions could have been better and the book itself could of been structured more efficiently. It almost seems like she just put this together and did not think about it much. Still, I enjoyed Davis as I always do.
Mel
Thank you, Angela Davis.
simon
this book is great if you've never read anything about prison abolition, the connection between US Foreign policy and the US prison system, or anything by angela davis. if you've read any of those things, it's like a nice pat on the back, reminding you that the things you believe in are real and important. i actually think the interviewer could have done a better job; or the questions could have been asked in a different way to gather better responses from davis, who is genius in a way that isn' ...more
Nativeabuse
I keep picking up Angela Davis books to try and get information on her communist ideas and on the ideas of the Black Panthers. and all I keep finding is her writing about prisons?

It seems like prisons are all she ever talks about, her autobiography for instance starts off with her getting thrown in prison, and continues through her legal processes.

This was an ok interview, but I wish she would talk about things besides prisons?
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
A wonderful read regarding abolition democracy, feminism, the prison industrial complex and the violence of the state. Davis does a great job of looking critically at these political, social, and cultural constructs and their intersections and overlaps. A quick and incisive read.
Milo
Some of her theories were pretty cool, but it has a difficult time standing on its own. I think "Are Prisons Obsolete?" needs to be read before this. And you probably should know some of the author's background if you're a generation behind (such as myself). It helps.
Stina
I was a little disappointed in this book. Lots of good ideas, but it was too superficial. It is a collection of interviews, and Davis' insights into the prison industrial complex aren't developed much. I recommend "Are Prisons Obsolete?" instead.
Bart
In four interviews, Angela Davis provides an interesting framework to examine the prison-industrial complex. She challenges prison abolitionists to re-frame arguments against the prison system, such as defining cavity searches as sexual assault.
Katie
This book should be required reading for anyone who can read and think. I'm just excited that I read a whole book. I'd like to thank her, the interviewer, and everyone else who has already read it. :)
Theresa
Angela Davis is coming to Denver next week, so I thought I'd read up on her. Too bad I didn't finish the book. Guess I'll just have to have dinner with her on Friday instead! ;)
Rich
Took me a while to get used to the Question/Answer format but the brilliance of Angela Davis makes up for the awkward presentation...read and learn.
Mike
this book was really good! she's right on point that the death penalty and prisons are teh legacies of slavery.
Sarita
Small concise book, interview style. totally readable and informative.
Jeff
These are interviews so there isn't much analysis. It's a good, quick read.
Kate
"Equality might be considered to be the equal right to refuse and resist."
Michael Greer
One of the most intelligent minds i have ever encountered.
Sokari
Re-reading this book
Steve
timely and important.
Doyle
Doyle marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Ré
added it
Nov 23, 2014
Lauren Ratcliff
Lauren Ratcliff marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jeezy's Inthabuilding
Jeezy's Inthabuilding marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Sille Mikkelsen
Sille Mikkelsen marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Golden Gulag: Prisons, Surplus, Crisis, and Opposition in Globalizing California
  • Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis
  • Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale: Women in the International Division of Labour
  • How Nonviolence Protects the State
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Black, Brown, Yellow, and Left: Radical Activism in Los Angeles
  • Pacifism as Pathology: Reflections on the Role of Armed Struggle in North America
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • The House That Race Built: Original Essays by Toni Morrison, Angela Y. Davis, Cornel West, and Others on Black Americans and Politics in America Today
  • Direct Action: Memoirs of an Urban Guerrilla
  • killing rage: Ending Racism
  • Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s
Angela Yvonne Davis is an American political activist, scholar, and author. She emerged as a nationally prominent activist and radical in the 1960s, as a leader of the Communist Party USA, and had close relations with the Black Panther Party through her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement despite never being an official member of the party. Prisoner rights have been among her continuing inter ...more
More about Angela Y. Davis...
Women, Race, and Class An Autobiography Are Prisons Obsolete? Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday Women, Culture, and Politics