Nine Stories. Franny and Zooey. Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters

Nine Stories. Franny and Zooey. Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  813 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Published 1982 by Progress

Be the first to ask a question about Nine Stories. Franny and Zooey. Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters

Lukas Stauderman
I found The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger, to be a wonderful book, one that I truly enjoyed. I thought it was fascinating how the author got inside of the main character's head, Holden Caulfield, a sixteen year old boy from Pennsylvania. The novel takes place on a long weekend during the late 1940's or early 1950's in Pennsylvania as well as New York. The story begins where Holden describes his stay at the fancy boarding school in Pennsylvania called Pency Prep.

The story is told through...more
Tyrell Patrick
Holden’s journey begins on a Saturday in December just before school closes for Christmas break. He has been informed of his expulsion from Pencey Prep School. What worries him most about being kicked out of school is his parents’ reaction, for he has already been expelled from other educational institutions. He cannot bear to remain in the dormitory after he has been beaten up by his roommate Stradlater and on a whim, he decides to leave the same night. However, he does not want to face his par...more
Tripmastermonkey
the book i'm really giving such a good review to is Franny and Zooey (although i've read the others- well, parts of nine stories...). now, it's been a while, but mr. salinger's ability to mix sadness with humor is part of why this book is worth reading- the humor doesn't ignore the sadness... and i like mr. salinger's obsession with zen stories- it makes me happy.
Jen VB
You should read everything by J.D. Salinger.
Yuneiry
this soty takes place in the early 1950's. the begining of the novel actually takes place at Pency prep shool. Is about Holden whic is a sixteen year old boy studebt who had feiled out of school two weeks before christmas. several days before he's expected home for christmas vacation. he leaves school planning to spend some time on his own in new York city, but things don't work out as he wants.
this is an excellent book because it has a lot of themes, for example is about innocence, familly- hol...more
Diann Blakely
Time Warner recently reissued four popular titles--THE CATCHER IN THE RYE, NINE STORIES, FRANNY AND ZOOEY, and RAISE HIGH THE ROOF BEAM, CARPENTERS, and SEYMOUR: AN INTRODUCTION as part of the publisher’s “Teen Reads” division. The rubric calls to mind both Norman Mailer’s famous dismissal of Salinger—“the best mind that never got out of prep school”—and the strange, unsavory tales of the reclusive author’s fixation with post-pubescent women, most notoriously Joyce Maynard.

In fact, most readers...more
Sophie
I haven't read any other Salinger works besides Franny & Zooey, but because of said book i really want to. Franny & Zooey presents simple everyday lives in a way that seems so bleak and so hopeless (which may sound absolutely heinous, but it really gives Franny's story in the beginning a lot of fascinating tension). At the end, though, it really does create a perfect world in its own way, which may make little sense to anyone but me, but I hope not. Ha. The thing with this is that you ei...more
Ian
I have thought for years that Franny and Zooey should be required reading for every angst ridden teenager. I have also played this game with 9 stories where I think of them in any order and then read the last one I can't remember.

You know the moment in before the war where she gets so sad, or the kit story or the one where the girl breaks up with the coach and he becomes just another sad adult? Perfect writing - somewhat dated - but I like New York in the 40's, it sounds like a world I would ha...more
Orpexaku
my favorite book
Katrin
I just re-read Franny and Zooey for the first time in 15 years. I thought it was a little obnoxious when I was 20, but I just couldn't take it at 35. I would love to hear from anyone who thinks this book is great, because I found it so irritating I could hardly finish it.
Vanya
All of them are superb, but I found "Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes" most impressive - with the vivid dialogue and subtle story-telling Salinger delivers the essence of the most complicated and painful human relations through the simplest words.
Natelby HARrrrrrness
Haven't read Raise High the Roof Beam yet, but I have read all the others. The Nine Stories are great. I love how weird every story gets while maintaining his incredibly distinct and incredibly New York kind of style.
Lori
Sep 28, 2009 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: favorites
Franny and Zooey..... thanks Harrison for sharing this one! An all time favorite. I can close my eyes and see this family...in all their quirky and dysfunctional family ways. What memorable characters they all were.
Julie Overman
All of these novels (and novellas?) are great, in that I'm-not-alone-the-world-is-weird way that is comforting but not too much. Super-engaging; cancel your afternoon and evening plans.
Jaimee
Becky Bean
Amazing stories... rich characters, interesting dialogue, funny! witty! sarcastic. sharp, and it's really all about trying to find what's real and worth holding on to.
Leigh Roberts
after I read catcher in the rye I had to read all these others. read all of these a very long time ago. from memory, - enjoyed them all
Jane
Another of my old favorites. Has all of the makings of a great book for me: coming of age, well written.
Alyssa
These stories completely shaped my perception of the world at that time. They are like old dear friends.
Moebius Machiavelli
It was a good read I just think J.D. Salinger probably wasn't a very happy fellow. Just saying...
Karmela
May 23, 2013 Karmela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
i lost the count of how many time i read it - amazing, timeless, beautiful written
Michele
Catcher and the Rye and Franny and Zooey...could read them over and over.
Judith Silver
I loved it when I was kid! Lets see how I like it as an old adult! Lol!
Tsukiko YAMAMURA
youth,angst,New York,rebel,adolescence,American,America,United States
Christina Yeung
One of my favorite books. Made me cry. I love catcher in the rye.
Paulajune g
this said the most about him as an author
Robert Vaughan
Salinger at his best. I love these stories.
Sandra
Franny and Zooey..The Glass family is introduced
Kelly
Wonderful compilation of stories.
  • J.D. Salinger: The Catcher in the Rye and Other Works
  • Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey & Persuasion
  • Slaughterhouse Five; The Sirens Of Titan; Player Piano; Cat's Cradle; Breakfast Of Champions; Mother Night
  • The Lone Pilgrim
  • Candles on Bay Street
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen
  • The Essential Homer
  • Living by the Word
  • Manolito on the road(Manolito Gafotas, #5)
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • The God Gene: How Faith Is Hardwired into Our Genes
  • All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics
  • Skin
819789
Jerome David Salinger was an American author, best known for his 1951 novel The Catcher in the Rye, as well as his reclusive nature. His last original published work was in 1965; he gave his last interview in 1980. Raised in Manhattan, Salinger began writing short stories while in secondary school, and published several stories in the early 1940s before serving in World War II. In 1948 he publishe...more
More about J.D. Salinger...
The Catcher in the Rye Franny and Zooey Nine Stories Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction A Perfect Day for Bananafish

“Sex is something I really don't understand too hot. You never know where the hell you are. I keep making up these sex rules for myself, and then I break them right away. Last year I made a rule that I was going to quite horsing around with girls that, deep down, gave me a pain in the ass. I broke it, though, the same week I made it - the same night, as a matter of fact. I spent the whole night necking with a terrible phony named Anne Louise Sherman. Sex is something I just don't understand. I swear to God I don't.” 4 likes