Start by marking “Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers: The Life of Marc Chagall in Verse” as Want to Read:
Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers: The Life of Marc Chagall in Verse

Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers: The Life of Marc Chagall in Verse

To do something with seven fingers is a Yiddish expression meaning to do something well or adroitly. Marc Chagall was a Russian Jew and a wandering dreamer. From his humble hometown of Vitebsk, Belarus, he went out to take in the world the grandeur of St. Petersburg, the romance of Paris, the freedom of New York. Through wars, Nazi persecution, and the passing of nine deca ...more
Published August 24th 2011 by Creative Editions

To ask other readers questions about Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers

I didn't know who Marc Chagall was before reading this book. Yes, shame on me. For other ignorant folks, Marc Chagall was a Russian Jewish painter, who lived a good portion of his life in Paris, but escaped to the U.S. during WWII. He was known for the surrealism in his work. He mostly worked with stained class in the latter part of his life.

Anyhoo...I thought it was okay. I mean I was ready to love it, but the poetry just didn't do it for me. I found the little nonfiction blurbs about Chagall'
Full-disclosure: In college, while my friends covered their walls with Monet and Renoir prints, I had "I and the Village." So when Carol Wilcox wrote about Self-Portrait With Seven Fingers on her blog, "Carol's Corner," I already knew I would love it. And I did.

In addition to sharing the biography of this fascinating artist, J. Patrick Lewis & Jane Yolen provide a fresh perspective on the times in which he lived. Chagall's journey was influenced by the Russian Revolution, WWI, and WWII--eve
Jan 22, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This biography was a delightful trip through the life of artist Marc Chagall, told through a combination of verse and the subject's own painting and photographs. More of a fan of the Impressionist school of painting, I had only a passing familiarity with Chagall's works (though I do love his stained glass panels at the Art Institution of Chicago) but all that has changed thanks to this wonderful book, which has shined a wonderful light onto this early Modernist.

On regards to the artwork chosen,
Mar 09, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
This book printed in Italy, has superb reproductions of Chagall who is one of my favorite artists with poems written to go along with the images. The poems are hit and miss, they are all well written poems, however they don't match my interpretation of the paintings from the earlier part of his life, and are more somber and less joyous, as Chagall was reported to be in his career.
Wow! This picture book/poetry book chronicles the life of Marc Chagall from his conception to his death. It includes his paintings as well as photographs and sef portraits. The poetry of J. Patrick Lewis and Jane Yolen accompany each piece and along with a biographical account of the artwork and the artist, the reader can understand it in greater depth. It serves to educate readers about the history, places, people and art. It is accessible for all readers, although I imagine older readers will ...more
Jul 31, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok
I thought the poems were either too literal in interpereting the paintings, or too abstract. I would have prefered this book with the poems left out and just the historical footnotes accompanying the paintings.
May 17, 2016 Betsy rated it it was amazing
This is a book to share with children of all ages. Wonderful pictures, I spy chances with pieces of the portrait in the corners, wonderful poems to share with them. You will want to read over and over.
Nov 02, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok
Poems and prose relate the stages of Chagall's life. More for adults than children. Nothing objectionable, I just think it's too long for most children and the images are not inviting to kids.
Feb 05, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
A good introduction to Marc Chagall's life. The poetry is beautiful, the photos of the paintings are vibrant.
Carol Ekster
Sep 06, 2016 Carol Ekster rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful way to learn about Marc Chagall, his art and his life.
Apr 28, 2014 Lire rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous.
Enjoyable way to learn the basics of Chagall's life and art.
Brenda Kahn
Apr 04, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
Yolen and Lewis team up again, this time using the paintings of Marc Chagall as inspirations for biographical poems. Honestly, is there no end to the creativity of these two? The poems are augmented with text boxes of prose elaborating a bit and black and white photographs of the artist at various stages of his life all add to a beguiling portrait of an intriguing man.
Apr 12, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Great book! J.Patrick Lewis and Jane Yolen interchange writing poems that reflect the work of painter, Marc Chagall. Paintings by the artist are included along with background information on the author's life. Very interesting and beautiful artwork. A few photographs are included as well.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 09, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, poetry
A beautiful biography in art and verse.
A fun way to learn about Chagall.
Tracy Mcneill
Tracy Mcneill marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Danai Dns
Danai Dns rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Lisa Mooney
Lisa Mooney rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Beth rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Sandi rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Annie rated it it was ok
May 03, 2015
Mark Pitman
Mark Pitman rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Lisa added it
Mar 09, 2015
Christyc rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Jenny rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...